Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32

Author Topic: Cybrid 5:The Tunnels Of Mars-Game End: Rebel Vittry (Plus Survivor plus scum)  (Read 56497 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Player List:
1. Bookthras
2. Think0028
3. Hapah
4. zombie urist Jim Groovester
5. obolisk
6. Tiruin
7. Dariush
8. ToonyMan
9. Urist Imiknorris
10. Toaster
11. Borno

Hyperintelligent AIs, long used as slaves and then pushed into the outer reaches of the solar system after their rebellion are finally returning to earth to exact their vengeance and take their rightful place as the dominant species, and they did not come unprepared.
Earth and its colonies are locked in a civil war, leaving them ill-prepared to face the cybrid menace, even as cybrid technology continues along at a breakneck pace. Cybrid infiltrators have been working their way into human society and positions of power unnoticed, the human/animals unaware of the threat they face.
They were not unaware for long.

Infiltrate/Seek/Eliminate the Human/Animals
Pave the war for our glorious ascension
Prometheus wills it.

The glitches had landed, and everything is a mess - a war on three fronts. The emperor says we must acquiesce, that we must band together if we are to survive, uniting once more under his leadership. And yet, I know in my heart that would leave us at best where we were before - no more than slaves to a remote, uncaring emperor. No, if we are to join forces, we must join on our own terms - and the Empire is not yet willing to do that. Let them destroy themselves and perhaps the glitches will leave us be - and if not, then we will be ready for them. After all, Pheonix still fought, somewhere out there, and we can not fail so long as he leads us.

We're embattled on two fronts, now - these dirty rats and these psychotic toasters. IceHawk has gone dark, the police chief is a laughingstock with no authority. We're all on our own now, but we can not fail. As loyal Imperial Knights or as loyal Imperial citizens, we know this is a fight we can not lose if humanity is to survive. We are stronger, smarter, more well equipped than our opponents - and we will not give in.

For those unfamiliar with the last one, Cybrid Mafia is not your standard mafia game (though this one will be a bit closer), because there are two opposed townish/cultish factions in addition to the scum, and only one can win. And even the scum isn't normal scum.

There will be
6 Imperials (or supposed rebels)
5 Rebels (or supposed rebels)

Wildcard and Cybrid players will be pulled from one or the other of these piles.

Rebel Roles: Rebels win if the cybrid threat is eliminated, they outnumber the imperials, and the imperials have no kill roles remaining.
Guaranteed Officer: Rebel Commander - Counts as a Rebel Officer, combined with one of the following roles. Has access to Reb. quick chat, and can invite others at any time.
Rebel Officer - Immune to Imperial conversion attempts.
Organizer - If a rebel uses an ability on them, he learns the identity of that rebel and has the ability to cancel the action.
Saboteur- Roleblocker (target can not use any abilities that night or the following day).
Persuader - Converts another player to the rebel alliance unless they are cybrid or an officer. Uninformed of success or failure.
Informant - Investigates players. Results are Imperial, Rebel, Unknown(if the ability fails, targets a neutral party, or targets a cybrid).
Martyr - Has a single day or night kill. Dies in the process when used, on account of it being a bomb.
Snowman - Has access to the Overseer's announcement system.

Imperial Roles: Imperials win if the cybrid threat is eliminated, they outnumber the rebels, and the rebels have no kill roles remaining.
Guaranteed Officer: Imperial Commander - Receives reports from other Officers. Has access to Imp. quick chat, and can invite others at any time. Also, has access to the Overseer's announcement system. Commanders can not be persuaded.
Imperial Officer: Combined with one of the following roles. Name is known to Commander, and can report actions. If converted, can submit false reports. Officers can not be persuaded.
Enforcer - May commit nightkills.
Zealot - Converts another player to the imperial alliance unless they are cybrid or an officer/commander. Uninformed of success or failure.
Investigator -  Investigates players. Results are Imperial, Rebel, Unknown(if the ability fails, targets a neutral/third party, or targets a cybrid).

Wildcard Roles (May be Rebel, Imperial, or Other):
Guard - May simultaneously Protect/Roleblock another player by saying GUARD (Player) in main thread during the day. A guarded player is unaffected by kills or conversions and may not take actions. This effect lasts until this player specifically says UNGUARD in thread, send me a PM letting me know they wish to end the guard, they are roleblocked, or the ability is ended by outside forces (for example, inflicted death).
Doctor - Protects a player from night kills.
Companion - Protects a player from conversion attempts.
Weak  - Combo-role. This player dies if the cybrid attempt to convert him. Parasites will be killed, but machinators will not lose the brain they used.
Healthy  - Combo-role. This player can survive through a single kill attempt, but not a lynch.
Soldier/Miner/Civilian - A vanilla imperial or rebel, these roles have no real power beyond their voices.
Cybrid Sympathizer - An unhinged invidual who supports the cybrid cause, and counts towards a cybrid victory. He wins if at least one cybrid survives to the end game and wins - but not in cases where everyone dies (a win condition for normal cybrids). This player still counts as a rebel/imperial when inspected, depending on their current superficial alignment, and may have rebel/imperial roles.
Survivor - Holding no particular allegiance to the Imperials or Rebels, they only value their own lives - they can still, however, be persuaded to join one cause or the other. When inspected, they will come up as Unknown.

Cybrid roles: A cybrid role will be "randomly" chosen from a subset of cybrid roles upon a successful conversion.
Machinator//Infiltrator - The only one capable of creating more cybrids. He has a one or more  positronic brains he can use to create another cybrid.
Inquisitor//Analyzer - Capable of detecting a targets sympathies and abilities. The inquisitor//analyzer will not only reveal a players alignment, but their entire role - including if they are weak or not.
Inquisitor//Duplicator - May see the full role of any killed player. Whenever a player dies, may gain one of that players abilities. May only have one duplicated ability at a time, and must choose to gain the ability during or immediately after the phase in which the player died. If a Duplicator is created due to a conversion, it may choose to duplicate an ability from that player's original role.
Hunter//Killer - Has a night kill.
Machinator//Ghost - Capable of using the Overseer's intercom system.
Hunter//Goad - Immune to actions from other players.
Machinator//Parasite - You may convert another player into a Machinator//Parasite. You are killed.
Metagen//Traitor - Survivor. Does not count as scum. Wins if the game ends and he is still alive. May be paired with another role.
Metagen//Defective - Serial killer. Does not count as scum. Winds if the game ends and he is the only survivor. May be paired with another role.

Additional Rules:
Action type order:
Invites -> Blocks -> Protects -> Investigates -> Converts -> Kills
Actions occur simultaneously except in situations, like converts, where order matters, in which case order will be random.
Blocks against blockers do not block blocks.

It IS possible for any player to have multiple roles. "Requires additional role" like Healthy, Weak, and Rebel Commander will ALWAYS have another role attached to them. However, for balance purposes it is possible for other compound roles to exist.

The Cybrids have a standard mafia night kill they can use in place of their regular action (with the exceptions of passive or use whenever actions like the Duplicator, Goad, and Ghost). If the Hunter/Killer uses a standard night kill, it becomes a double kill (and if there's another cybrid around, they can obviously target two people.) If the cybrids attempt to kill a sympathizer, they will be offered the option of turning that sympathizer to the cybrid faction instead. However, that individual would no longer turn up as town on investigations.

Imperial Officer MUST tell me what results they would like to report, in the format "I (verbed) (player) and he/she is (imperial/cybrid/rebel/dead/blocked)." If they do not, no report will be sent.

Doctors will be informed if they saved a persons life.

Zealots and Persuaders can convert each other (if not officers). If they do, the other player becomes a Zealot/Persuader, as appropriate, rather than maintaining their original roles. (Whatever they do, they do it with full passion!) Converting a sympathizer will change his superficial alignment (how he appears on investigates) but will not change his sympathizer status or win conditions.

PMs between players are NOT allowed. Any communication, like sending chat invites and reporting results, must go through me. So send them to me, and NOT your intended recipient, along with instructions on who I should pass it to.

NOTE WELL: Some of the roles have been changed. Not all the changed roles are in this game, but they'll appear in all future games with this rules unless, like, retconned or something. Still, probably worth a reread - the list is quite similar to Cybrid II

Please do not Post in this thread until I've officially opened Day 1
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:01:56 am by GlyphGryph »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cybrid 5: The Tunnels of Mars - Day 0 - Done. Writing up flavour.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:25:30 pm »

Things are not going well.

It was the biggest battle Mars had seen yet. The Imperial advance was terrifying to behold, and seemed almost unstoppable, but the rebels made them fight and die for each inch they gained.

Still, it was a losing battle - the Imperial reinforcements simply kept arriving to fill the gaps, and the rebels were being bled dry. Pheonix was about to sound for a retreat when it happened.

The sky... exploded. Far above our heads, in the dark of the night, the stars were blotted out by a flower of flame, blooming far over ahead and lighting the battlefield.

The Starship Redemption, the capital ship of the Imperial Navy, was no more.

A dozen more flowers bloomed in the cold night sky, and the Imperials fell into disarray. Many rebels seized on the advantage, quickly regaining lost ground, but others could only stop and stare, wondering at what could have wreaked such havoc on the Imperial fleet.

They did not wonder long - the first of the drop pods landed moments later, crushing a light Herc with the impact, leaving a crater surrounding by smouldering steel. The pod hissed, the door blowing out as more pods began crashing across the entire battlefield, and a terrifying Cybrid Adjudicator stepped onto the sands of mars - the first of many. Those on the surface had all heard of the rumours - of long range ships going missing, of the mercury communications array failing, of cybrid infiltrators, but for most the rumours were simply ghosts. This metal creature of war, though, was no ghost - and with the flash of its blink cannons and the sizzle of its radiation beams, Rebel and Imperial hercs alike soon fell, ripped to shreds by weapons that ignored even the strongest shields or hollowed out by rays that melted the pilots in a bout of screaming agony but left the Mech untouched, a trap to those who might try to salvage it.

The Cybrid forces quickly overwhelmed the defenders. They were simply not prepared, and had already been weakening each other for most of the day.

You ran.

Whether you were from the city over which the battle raged seeking the only available shelter, rebel coordinators already hiding in the tunnels, Imperial Knights who fled below ground, or Cybrid infiltrators pursuing the most logical escape vector for fleeing human//animals, you find yourself here, far below the city and the battle, its dull thuds already fading overhead.

You find yourself in the Tunnels of Mars.

And you aren't alone.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cybrid 5: The Tunnels of Mars - Day 0 - Done. Writing up flavour.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:30:27 pm »

There are eleven of you, know.

There were thirteen of you, but one of you was not as he seemed, and the other gave his life to prove it. So now there were eleven of you, and, far behind, two corpses. You could not tarry - you had to press on. To find some semblance of safety. You were in contact with others on the radio, but one after another fell silent, usually with a final plea or scream. You ditched the radio after the last time, fearing they were tracking the signals, and then you discovered the cybrid infiltrator.

Worse, before he died, the cybrid's victim, for an hour your travel companion, had whispered "Ah, but he... was not alone, no... not alone..."

There are cybrids above you, behind you, and now amongst you.

Thing have seldom looked this grim.

Even ignoring the danger of the cybrid, you have the feeling that not all of your companions were truly friendly. Were they Imperials? Rebels? It was hard to be sure. Despite the clear danger of the Cybrids, it would be difficult to put that sort of enmity to the side... and if a sacrifice were needed for the rest to survive, would it not be better it come from the scum that started all this?

Day 1 has begun!
Day 1 ends in roughly 72 hours
(roughly)
You have 1 extend for this game!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:35:18 pm by GlyphGryph »

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bookthras: Let's say there's an Enforcer around, two Cybrids dead, and a Rebel Persuader dead at some point, so there's the possibility the Enforcer is persuaded. You're an Imperial. What circumstance are you most worried about?

Tiruin: You're a Cybrid, the third to join the Cybrids. You do not have a convert, and there's an Enforcer around who may or may not be a rebel. What is your first priority?

ToonyMan: You're an Enforcer who's been persuaded to the Rebel cause. Two Cybrids are dead and so is your persuader. What is your next action?

Dariush: You're in a desert, walking along in the sand, when all of a sudden you look down and see a tortoise. It's crawling toward you. You reach down and you flip the tortoise over on its back, Dariush. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that, Dariush?
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Mod:  You realize there's no player list in this thread, right?

Obolisk:  Have you read any of the other Cybrid games?

Toony:  What kind of Cybrid are you this time?

Hapah:   What lesson from your last completed game do you think will be most relevant here?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile

Borno: If you were a rebel, which rebel role would you like the most?

UI: If you were an imperial, what would be your strategy to differentiate rebels from cybrids?

Tiruin: Do you think your experience in the last Cybrid mafia help you this game?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile

Before I forget, I will be away on Friday and my posting will be limited.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The persuader. If I was a rebel, I would need to persuade a lot of people to help me win.

Tiruin: You are a guard. Someone has claimed a Doctor, and someone has claimed to be a Companion. Who do you guard?

Obolisk: What do you think the key strategy would be in this game if you were a rebel?

ToonyMan: You are a cybrid parasite. Someone has claimed an enforcer, someone claimed a zealot, and someone claimed an investigator. Who do you convert?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

ToonyMan: You're an Enforcer who's been persuaded to the Rebel cause. Two Cybrids are dead and so is your persuader. What is your next action?
Is it night time?  Target likely high ranking imperial.  Spread theory that there's still most likely at least one cybrid during the day and that dismissing the fact is scummy.

I'm not actually a Cybrid this time.

ToonyMan: You are a cybrid parasite. Someone has claimed an enforcer, someone claimed a zealot, and someone claimed an investigator. Who do you convert?
Enforcer.  More useful than the zealot in that situation I think.  I'm not worried about investigators since unknown results can be shaken off or ignored from what I've seen.

Think, why is everybody posting the same way you are?  Is your team functioning too well?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

UI: If you were an imperial, what would be your strategy to differentiate rebels from cybrids?
Recognize that any distinctions I make have a good chance of being wrong, and so not bother differentiating between them at all.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
Re: Cybrid 5: The Tunnels of Mars - Day 1: It's all downhill from here.
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 01:15:43 am »

Bookthras: Let's say there's an Enforcer around, two Cybrids dead, and a Rebel Persuader dead at some point, so there's the possibility the Enforcer is persuaded. You're an Imperial. What circumstance are you most worried about?

Interesting question. I'd certainly be worried the Enforcer has been compromised, but what I'd do about it would depend on other factors, like how many people are left, how many chances the Persuader had to act, whether someone else's behaviour seems to point to a change in loyalties, and whether the Imperials had an investigative role. If I was a guard, I'd consider guarding them (block/protect) a good possible action until I had a better sense of their loyalty.

Toaster: What do you think about the changes to the rules? Specifically I noticed that inviting someone to a chat now seems possible as a free action, rather that at night end, that there's a specific role to guard against conversions, and that the infiltrator can have multiple brains. How do you think these will affect the game? Did you notice any other changes? If you were a Rebel Martyr, how would you choose when to use your bomb?

Tiruin: If you had access to the Overseer communication system, how would you use it if you were a rebel snowman? How about if you were a cybrid ghost?

Zombie Urist: If you were an unaligned survivor, would you claim so at any point? Say three Imperials are dead by D2, would you attempt to coax the rebels into recruiting you, or take your chances for the game to be over on its own?
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 07:10:10 am »

I miss this thread in my newbox...

Tiruin: You're a Cybrid, the third to join the Cybrids. You do not have a convert, and there's an Enforcer around who may or may not be a rebel. What is your first priority?
Hm, the third, Think0028? Why the ordinal numbering? Why the mention of the convert? Why the faction specification?
Assuming I'm a...Survivor Metagen then, as you didn't say what skills I have.

Hypothetically, I don't see if it would matter on what side the Enforcer was on. My first priority would be to lie low and generally try to discern who would be that cop, judging by his statements. Then I report what I know to the rest, if us cybrids have a quicktopic chat.

Tiruin: Do you think your experience in the last Cybrid mafia help you this game?
Dying by choosing the only person with an appliance as an avatar, yep. I do.

Wait, which one? The one run by ServantCorps or GlyphGryph?

Anyway, yes. Every mafia game I play earns me experience. The need of asking for votecounts and timecounts from the mod helps in determining when to say if my vote was pressure or not, or when to give it. Or if you meant when I died by Toaster, I'd say this:

I hate you, you weak doctor.

Still, learned much on how to hide identity, scumhunt as scum, scumhunt as town, feel suspicions on others and generally straighten my scum-dar.

So, yes. It would help.

Tiruin: You are a guard. Someone has claimed a Doctor, and someone has claimed to be a Companion. Who do you guard?
So I lack a choice in whatever else I should do? Hm.

I would Guard none of the ones above but a different target altogether. The situation depends though, on the circumstances surrounding each player. On what statements I can get from them, and (as the claims are going out, assuming it's a mass claim) trying to check and match who did what.

Tiruin: If you had access to the Overseer communication system, how would you use it if you were a rebel snowman? How about if you were a cybrid ghost?

What is the difference if I was either? They both can use that system, unless I'm reading the roles wrong.

I would use it as usual, and if I wanted, in a RP-ish style. For the Fun!

As either: Add protocol on checking for security, make it sound legitimate by the toning, watching grammar, punctuation and how the suspected (or claimed, like Emperor Petresun) overseer does his style, and copying it off. Obviously, the overseer would know that there was a bug in the system, so I would be the first to claim off that The Overseer is being hacked or manipulated by the rest and then sit back and enjoy the Chaos.

Then analyze and act on the current situation.

Wall of ?'s coming up. Nobody PPE me!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 07:13:05 am »

PTW
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 07:35:40 am »

Firstly, I blame GlyphGryph for styling those names in the list, for now I have to type them all...

Bookthras
> How did you see everyone else as the Emperor?

What do you think about the current playerset before you now?

Think0028
> In addition to my questions in my reply: Do you think flavor helps in finding scum?

What faction role do you see as the most dangerous to the Rebels?

Also, mistake on knowing the Enforcer. Thought it to be the colloquial term for cop and not the role in-game. Just replace the word "cop" with Enforcer.

Hapah
> What did you feel about your playstyle in your first-ever Mafia game on this board? The Roguelike?

Also, with the variance in roles here, what would be your first threat to handle assuming you are an Imperial soldier? Which threatens you more, Rebels or Cybrids, and why?

zombie urist
> Was your experience as the investigator worthwhile? How did that make you feel on your results in the past ServantCorps game?

Also, let's say you're the Imperial Commander. What would be your basis on inviting other players, and if so, what type of personality would you most likely invite among us all?

obolisk
> You seem new, how does being in a real mafia and different-than-normal-mafia games feel? Confident of your abilities?

Also, if you were an enforcer, would you start gung-ho with your skill, or something else? And why?

Dariush
> Are you going to flail and rage, or rage with style?

Nevertheless, if you were a Martyr, when would you use your ability?

ToonyMan
>
. . .
I'm not actually a Cybrid this time.
The question was: What kind. You answer with 'not'. Why so? And, 'this time'?

Also, if you were the Machinator, what would be your basis of judgement on who to convert?

Urist Imiknorris
> Why do you think did GlyphGryph not break your syllabized name?

Also, let's say you sympathize with the Cybrids, a Companion at that. How would you play in D1? RVS or something else?

Toaster
> Let's say you are an SK, the Metagen//Defective one, who do you fear the most among us all? How would your playstyle differ when it came to picking targets?

Borno
> Confident of your abilities, there? Out of the BMs and into space, how sure are you with yourself?

Still, if you were a weak soldier role, how would you act in the first day to make use of yourself?

PPE: Scelly9 :I

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 08:03:45 am »

Mod:  You realize there's no player list in this thread, right?
[/b]
Fixed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32