Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32

Author Topic: All U.S. Internet Providers will be policing downloads by July 1, 2012  (Read 55933 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

With magnet links the site now hosts a ridiculously small amount of actual data.  I've heard you can easily fit the entire thing on a USB drive, meaning that shutting the site down would probably force a slight rollback when they set it up under a new domain at worst.

Actually now my ISP now blocks my access to it (the UK government requires ISPs to now), not that anyone who wants to pirate stuff hasn't found a way around the block yet.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm now beginning to realise just how much I want to strangle politicians for moronic laws like this.

I'm guessing this is normal.
Yes, when it's actually laws. Right now, from what I can tell, it's either an agreement between ISPs and the RIAA (which will get dumped pretty fast once ISPs realize that it's going to drive away customers), or it's the RIAA spewing more shit again.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

If they want to attack piracy why can't they just take down sites like "The Pirate Bay" .
Which is a Swedish site? And they've tried to (i.e. leaned on the Swedish government to do something). Ask me how well that's worked out for them, while I grab half a dozen torrents off Pirate Bay. And if the Swedes did shut them down, they'd just relocate to a server in the Comoros. Or the Turks and Caicos. Or Kreplachistan. Point being, if tiny countries can be havens for rich people to stash their money, it's fitting karma that they're also havens for pirates to stash their servers.
TPB once got their servers seized by the police. It took them around a day to get back online with new ones. They recently bought airspace above Greece to put drones hosting thier site up. The point? They have a LOT of money, and they are pretty much untouchable at the moment.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Cyprinus

[redacted]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 10:44:13 pm by Cyprinus »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Personally, I think their gonna drop it as soon as their Bandwidth speeds drop by 30% due to DDOSing.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

They recently bought airspace above Greece to put drones hosting thier site up. The point? They have a LOT of money, and they are pretty much untouchable at the moment.

I'm afraid this was an April's fool joke.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What I'm waiting for is for one clever ISP to claim that it will "protect it's consumers" or somesuch, and then gain a large amount of business because of it.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They recently bought airspace above Greece to put drones hosting thier site up. The point? They have a LOT of money, and they are pretty much untouchable at the moment.

I'm afraid this was an April's fool joke.
I'm a mild idiot. Please disregard.

However, the thing about the police was true. They do have quite a bit of money.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I don't care if it's an April Fools Joke, that's an awesome idea.

Distributing the whole internet onto a global drone fleet....

Fund it!

What I'm waiting for is for one clever ISP to claim that it will "protect it's consumers" or somesuch, and then gain a large amount of business because of it.
Seriously. If any ISP publicly released a data request non-compliance policy and followed through with it they would get every internet user that is even remotely savvy to do business with them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't care if it's an April Fools Joke, that's an awesome idea.

Distributing the whole internet onto a global drone fleet....

Fund it!
http://thepiratebay.se/blog/210
They are planning it. But I think that they don't have quite enough cash.

Cyprinus

[redacted]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:24:58 pm by Cyprinus »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice. I'd use em, depending on the speeds they get.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

That's....that's genius. It's not that they won't hand data over, it's that they're operating in such a manner that they can't!

That would be funny if the FBI requested information from them.

"We don't have what you want. Feel free to come in and look for the information you are requesting, but we really don't have anything but this stack of heavily encrypted files that we have no key for."
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

I'm tempted to be the obnoxious Canadian in every thread relating to American issues, but wow. That's pretty bad.

We ain't doing much better.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Drone hosts don't strike me as that good an idea.  Wouldn't they be prone to... say, being caught in bad weather or colliding with air traffic?

Ed.: and would they care that Dwarf Fortress is a free alpha test? Or would they just see one of their users downloading a game for free?
This is a bit concerning, actually.  From the point of view of games developers I'm just as much of a lost customer (someone who might buy games who instead isn't) if I'm playing free games as I am if I'm pirating theirs.  It could well be in their interest to cut me off for that reason, and if they don't need to actually prove I'm infringing in any way then hey, why not do it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32