Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32

Author Topic: All U.S. Internet Providers will be policing downloads by July 1, 2012  (Read 55465 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

So wait, would the drones from the googletopia deliver the internet in physical packages? As in, you'd request it and they'd fly over to your house to distribute it to you?
MMORPGs would die out pretty quickly.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Eventually the whole internet will be stored in a neutral territory floating sky city over the atlantic, it will have its own airfield to dock and distribute its internet drones.
My favorite part of this would be the literal piracy.
Don't forget we'd also literally have internet neutrality.
And dear lord, if the Internet decided NOT to be neutral..."Sir, after we declared war on the Internet, all our television broadcasts have been replaced with a looping animation of Rick Astley..."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

Eventually the whole internet will be stored in a neutral territory floating sky city over the atlantic, it will have its own airfield to dock and distribute its internet drones.
And dear lord, if the Internet decided NOT to be neutral..."Sir, after we declared war on the Internet, all our television broadcasts have been replaced with a looping animation of Rick Astley..."
AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That would be wonderful. The internet would be split up into several factions, 4chan would be an extremely well armed club, and Bay 12 would be the crazy geek convention.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Here.
They've cracked down on it (and thus more people either aren't stupid enough to admit it or actually don't, so it appears to drop), but sales haven't gone up even with the supposed drop in pirates.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

That would be wonderful. The internet would be split up into several factions, 4chan would be an extremely well armed club, and Bay 12 would be the crazy geek convention.
I disagree, heavily. /b/ would largely be self annihilating, /k/ would terrorize unguarded internet lanes, /g/ would do who knows what and the other boards... Well, I need not go into detail. /d/ would probably try to corrupt the underground skynet, /diy/ would probably start creating their own internet ships, /mlp/ would begin bombarding opposing entities with propaganda among other things.

There is no predicting what bay12 would do if it ever got it's hand on a massive floating fortress of internet.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here.
They've cracked down on it (and thus more people either aren't stupid enough to admit it or actually don't, so it appears to drop), but sales haven't gone up even with the supposed drop in pirates.
watch, as the companies insist that is simply a fluke.

yeah, I think it works like this in most occasions:
person pirates film/game/whatever
they like it, they buy it, they tell their friends to buy it, revenue increases.

remove the first step, none of that happens.
Yeah, I think a surprising number of people actually buy the thing they pirate.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

You know, this talk of floating cities is making me think of the Mortal Engines books again, there's one city featured in the book, which is supported in the air with balloons and just offers trade etc services to everyone.
I think the Bay12 airship would be similar except it would just be handing out DF for free and subsequently have little to no value to pirates.
I can see the news reports now.

BAY12 AIRSHIP SEEN COMPLETION
Yesterday, the airship for the reasonably famous "bay12" website was launched, being constructed from seemingly nothing but raw logs and sheets of fabric, which seem to have been woven using only a rough rectangle of rocks. No tools have been observed on the site. From internal reports, the airship will be handing out copies of their most desired trade commodity, as well as some less well-known.
On their initial flights, they were seen to be dropping teams of 7 into almost inhospitable environments. When questioned on it, the High Magma responded "The Great Toad demands Fun.". More news at 11.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile

AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Obviously Anonymous would act as the military's special forces.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Obviously Anonymous would act as the military's special forces.
Nah, they would be the CIA.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I remember something someone said on the minecraft forums:
welcome to the internet, where men are men, women are men, and kids are FBI agents!
I love that quote.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Didn't it? Any source for that? All I could find on French Wikipedia was a polls saying 53% of people pirated less since Hadopi was on.

So... Hadopi succeeded in making people say they pirate less?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Didn't it? Any source for that? All I could find on French Wikipedia was a polls saying 53% of people pirated less since Hadopi was on.

So... Hadopi succeeded in making people say they pirate less?
They also succeeded in giving themselves two out of three strikes, which makes them a rather nice target if anyone accidentally adds another infringing picture (or other copyright thingamabob) to their site.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here.
watch, as the companies insist that is simply a fluke.

yeah, I think it works like this in most occasions:
person pirates film/game/whatever
they like it, they buy it, they tell their friends to buy it, revenue increases.

remove the first step, none of that happens.
Yeah, I think a surprising number of people actually buy the thing they pirate.

Found it.

No Time To Explain's developers release their own pirated version to pirate bay

Thus far the idea appears to work out as planned. The response from the public is overwhelmingly positive, and perhaps even more importantly, the pirated copy hasn’t hurt sales a tiny bit. If anything, tinyBuild has sold more games because they uploaded the game to The Pirate Bay.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Found it.

No Time To Explain's developers release their own pirated version to pirate bay

Thus far the idea appears to work out as planned. The response from the public is overwhelmingly positive, and perhaps even more importantly, the pirated copy hasn’t hurt sales a tiny bit. If anything, tinyBuild has sold more games because they uploaded the game to The Pirate Bay.

This has been attempted many times with various types of media by companies/people with all ranges of pre-existing popularity.  The result is always the same.  Publishers hate it because it makes them obsolete.  The ruling class in general hates it, because it threatens their ability to control information and manipulate culture to their own ends.      

Ed.: and would they care that Dwarf Fortress is a free alpha test? Or would they just see one of their users downloading a game for free?
This is a bit concerning, actually.  From the point of view of games developers I'm just as much of a lost customer (someone who might buy games who instead isn't) if I'm playing free games as I am if I'm pirating theirs.  It could well be in their interest to cut me off for that reason, and if they don't need to actually prove I'm infringing in any way then hey, why not do it.

And this.  The gap between amateur/hobbyist and professional is constantly narrowing, and now they're capable of self-publishing.  It frightens the hell out of a lot of people, so they want to close the distribution channels for that content.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It kinda makes me wonder why we still use the publisher and developer system.

I know how it works now, but with the internet it seems like distribution isn't that much a problem anymore. Developers can pretty much put something up for sale on their own.

Initial investment is still a problem, but I guess crowdfunding goes a little ways towards helping the devs in that regard. Not to mention some developers like Toady don't need an initial investment.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32