Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32

Author Topic: All U.S. Internet Providers will be policing downloads by July 1, 2012  (Read 55923 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

To be fair, Toady has a doctorate in a field of mathematics that I don't recall.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To be fair, Toady has a doctorate in a field of mathematics that I don't recall.

I thought it was he quit to work on DF full time?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

He quit being a college professor to work on DF full time. You can't quit having a doctorate unless your university convicts you of academic fraud.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ooooooh he was a professor. Sorry I was mistaken.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

It kinda makes me wonder why we still use the publisher and developer system.

I know how it works now, but with the internet it seems like distribution isn't that much a problem anymore. Developers can pretty much put something up for sale on their own.

Initial investment is still a problem, but I guess crowdfunding goes a little ways towards helping the devs in that regard. Not to mention some developers like Toady don't need an initial investment.
There's a major problem, and personally I think it's rooted in capitalist philosophy. The basic gist of it is that people who currently have the ability to define the economic system have a very strongly vested interest in introducing inefficiencies into it, because even if it costs the system overall money, it's profitable for them. There's a much longer rant behind this, but that's the short version. We've advanced to a point in our economy where the short-term returns in efficiency have diminished so much that sabotage is more worthwhile. It seems to exist in every industry these days that's having these sorts of "crises" even as they rake in record profits somehow.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Methinks their criteria for suspected pirate downloads is large downloads. Download, or especially torrent, large files frequently? They might throttle you down. Just to save them bandwidth.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

I can only recommend that article in the NYTimes if you havent read it already.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Everybody Get TOR up and running.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Looks like I'll be needing to complete my One Piece and other great shows and movies and music collection before it's too late.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

Methinks their criteria for suspected pirate downloads is large downloads. Download, or especially torrent, large files frequently? They might throttle you down. Just to save them bandwidth.
Goodbye MMOs.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Goodbye MMOs.
I'd like to see them prove they're allowed to throttle based on size. Since there are many legal files thats are a couple hundred MB (to a couple GB) in size. You can't throttle someone just because they have a vague 'large file', theres no proof that said file is illegal.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Since when do they care about proof? Suspicion is enough.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Adobe won't be amused if customers start to avoid downloading stuff because they'll get their internet throttled. O_o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

I'd be worried about proof if I had to choose between having many angry customers or helping with this anti-piracy BS 'voluntarily', though this assumes they're actually going to check things. Theres a very noticeable neon pink line between practicality and hollywood's idea of the internet, and crossing it to make a bunch of rich whiners who can't adapt to the new thing is stupid and worth nothing. They are only at best, a couple business-class customers for a US Western ISP. Capitalism is not there to support them if they can't keep up, they can be left in the dust of history with the horse & buggy makers for all I care.

Internet Providers are for providing Internet. Like many things related to or on the internet, they are not your personal army.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:26:39 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile

If they want to attack piracy why can't they just take down sites like "The Pirate Bay" .

National Sovereignty
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 12:30:16 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32