Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32

Author Topic: All U.S. Internet Providers will be policing downloads by July 1, 2012  (Read 55992 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

It's not something that's ever stopped the US from arresting pirates before.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

To be fair, the US hasn't have a problem policing everyone else's business ever.
I'm pretty sure there was a big thing about it in the UK recently, they wanted to try some guy in the US because he might have affected some companies over there. Apparently everyone else has courts that aren't good enough or whatever.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

If they want to attack piracy why can't they just take down sites like "The Pirate Bay" .
Do you not think they've tried? Very Hard? Because they have.
And TPB has laughed them off because no filter works very well, no censorship short of upstaging the Great Firewall of China would work (in theory), and if you block all proxies/VPNs then you get legitimate users breathing down your neck demanding explanations and fixes posthaste. The UK has a filter of course, but it is ineffective at stopping anyone with half a mind who knows how to search and like everything that get directed at them, boosts their traffic levels as a result of being in the news.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:02:18 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

To be fair, the US hasn't have a problem policing everyone else's business ever.
I'm pretty sure there was a big thing about it in the UK recently, they wanted to try some guy in the US because he might have affected some companies over there. Apparently everyone else has courts that aren't good enough or whatever.

They extradited him to the US.

YUP.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Same with Belgium, you just have to use a proxy to access it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Richard O’Dwyer's still got an appeal, hopefully he'll win.  Because what he did isn't a crime under UK law, he never left UK soil and the extradition against him is only being tried because the US is trying to claim jurisdiction over the entire internet.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The US is trying to claim jurisdiction over the entire internet.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

The US is trying to claim jurisdiction over the entire internet.
Why else would they be so whiny about giving back ICANN? :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd be worried about proof if I had to choose between having many angry customers or helping with this anti-piracy BS 'voluntarily', though this assumes they're actually going to check things. Theres a very noticeable neon pink line between practicality and hollywood's idea of the internet, and crossing it to make a bunch of rich whiners who can't adapt to the new thing is stupid and worth nothing. They are only at best, a couple business-class customers for a US Western ISP. Capitalism is not there to support them if they can't keep up, they can be left in the dust of history with the horse & buggy makers for all I care.

Internet Providers are for providing Internet. Like many things related to or on the internet, they are not your personal army.

This x100.

If they want to attack piracy why can't they just take down sites like "The Pirate Bay" .

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/898174-the-pirate-bay-gets-extra-12m-visitors-per-day-after-high-court-ban
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:48:37 pm by Sergius »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: All U.S. Internet Providers will be policing downloads by July 12, 2012
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2012, 02:52:02 pm »

Does it still count as Streisand if it happens everytime TPB is in any sort of notable news, though?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2012, 02:52:12 pm »

Oh RIAA, what will you think of next? You aren't going to win. Accept this and find a new business model.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2012, 02:52:55 pm »

Oh RIAA, what will you think of next? You aren't going to win. Accept this and find a new business model.
You forgot the MPAA.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2012, 03:04:10 pm »

This one is by the BPI.  I swear barely anyone would know about The Pirate Bay if it didn't keep coming on national news due to people trying to block it.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2012, 06:22:24 pm »

What always amazes me is the incredible statistics that come out about piracy.

I tried searching to find how many people actually pirate but I kept getting reports that %90 of content is pirated. Which I have a little trouble believing.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32