Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Traveling visitors, bazaar, work opportunities, immigration officer.  (Read 4662 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traveling visitors, bazaar, work opportunities, immigration officer.
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 06:22:46 pm »

not a bad idea, perhaps indi traders should world differently though, like you pay first than get the goods next year/season or something.  This could allow you set the price of goods in your fort as you go as you need them rather than at every Carvan

for instance mid year I need x but requested y, I should be able to say price of x 300% and and merchant in his right mind would want to bring x.  perhaps with the immigration officer you could "pay/bribe" to get immigrants or pay a ton to get a specific kind of immigrant.  I also hope with this that you could also trade with other fortresses and not just the mountin homes. 
example of how it should work
 here are somethings worth 5k dwarf bucks, our fortress could really, really use a carpenter
 this could actually be the start to a very interesting political system in DF.
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 07:47:23 pm »

Heh, thanks to everyone for the comments. To everyone who said that "immigration officer" isn't quite the right term, I have to agree, I think "registrar" or "gatekeeper" might be better, I'm just bad at coming up with names for things :P

Now that I think about it, this could have be of relevance to the bustling town arc and having forts and cities look a little more alive in adventure mode and could present all kinds of conflicts and quest opportunities from all the travelers... As for framerate issues I think an init option for visitors (a cap or even an option to turn it off completely) would definitely be appropriate, but by designating a small burrow for visitors you could possibly have many visitors without them dramatically impacting fps. It could also be possible to make them meander around a little less than dwarves by making them path somewhere new only every 15 seconds or so  - which wouldn't look too odd since they're there to stare at things and lounge around, right? There could also be a limit to how far they can path and possibly have them go slower to buy more time before they have to gawk at things somewhere else. Unless, of course, there's a goblin on their tail, in which case they should scram. Not really sure how it would all work out...

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2012, 05:55:43 am »

I was thinking of an idea of traveling dwarfs of legendary skill/s coming to your fortress and only staying for a year or as long as you can entice them to stay.
This would be a doubly good suggestion for people that want it to be harder to get more skilled as it will make it possible to learn from a legend.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein
Pages: 1 2 [3]