Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farming/Grazing animals  (Read 916 times)

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farming/Grazing animals
« on: June 10, 2012, 07:06:34 am »

Hello folks. this has probably been mentioned before but heres my two cent. its regarding grazing animals. I would like the option of keeping grazing animals inside the fort in built pens not in the caves not with cave moss but with harvested grass. it could be desegnated as a zone much like sand harvesting works but with a more limited supply they could also eat leafmatter of trees wich could be left behind from woodcutting. anyways with the currect system there is no way of securing animals as they kinda run away if a goblin aproaches them and the goblins like to target practice on them what i am suggesting is we make a new job that involves haymaking so you could stockpile hay catch is that if you have to lock yourself from the outside your livestock would die. im saying you could stockpile a year or two but it would still be laborus and dangerus for the dwarfs having to do the labor. and i would think a single dwarf ought to be able to keep a 2-4 sheep fed doing nothing  somethink like a yak 1-2 so for one it would be a way to reduce idling. anyways your thoughts.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Farming/Grazing animals
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 07:07:26 am »

Just build a wall around your pastures.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 07:11:44 am »

and we are back to the part where "i need to close my self in and all my meat is outside" or "i need to make a bigger pasture cus its all browned out becuse of too many animals"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 07:12:44 am »

Just have an underground entrance to your pastures? Anyway, I think haymaking is planned in the future.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 07:16:50 am »

Yeah i figured as much. the grazing system annoyed me at its introduction and i figure it was temporary but this might gauge the intrest in making it sooner rother than later.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 07:26:38 am »

On top of that, this is both on the devlist/planned. And has been suggested plenty of times before. (Search for hay and grazing and you'll find them)
 Animals(mostly elephants) eating from trees is also planned, as there are quite a few that can't otherwise sustain themselves.