Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sphere-based Biomes  (Read 8039 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Sphere-based Biomes
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:55:22 pm »

I've been meaning to do this a while.

One day, the current system of good, evil, savage, and benign biomes will be replaced with biomes associated with various spheres. I'm going to be going through every sphere, and coming up with a few good ideas for each.

The format I'll be using:

Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)

Well, let's get started!

Spoiler: Agriculture (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Animals (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Balance (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Beauty (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Birth (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Blight (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Boundaries (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Caverns (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Chaos, Deformity (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Charity (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Children (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Consolation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Courage (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Crafts (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Creation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Darkness, Night (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Day, Light, Day (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Death (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Depravity (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Disease (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dreams (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Earth (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Family, Marriage (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fame (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fate, Luck (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fertility (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fire (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fish, Fishing (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Forgiveness (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fortresses (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Freedom (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gambling, Games (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Generosity (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Happiness (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Healing (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hospitality (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hunting (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inspiration (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Jealousy (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Jewels (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Justice, Laws (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Labor (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lightning (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Longevity (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Love, Mercy, Peace (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Minerals (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Misery (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Moon (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mountains (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Muck (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Murder (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nature (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nightmares (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Persuasion (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Plants (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rebirth (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rainbows (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Revelry (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Revenge (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rivers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rumors (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sacrifice (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Salt (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Scholarship (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Seasons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Silence (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sky (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Speech (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stars (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Strength (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Suicide (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Thralldom (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Torture (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Trade (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Travelers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Treachery (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Trees (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Trickery (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Truth (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Twilight (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Valor (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Victory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Volcanoes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: War (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Weather (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wisdom (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Youth (click to show/hide)

Any more ideas, guys? I'll incorporate the ones i think are best in the OP.
Spoiler: Previous Contributors: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 01:28:38 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sphere-based Biomes
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 10:56:24 pm »

Come for laughs at stupidity.

Leave smiling from the epicness.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 11:00:48 pm »

Thnaks. Note, though, that about half of them only have something like "Not sure, I'll think about it later" or some kind of snarky comment about why a specific, say, tree biome is unneeded. Also, there are a lot of typos right now. I'll fix it in the morning or something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 11:03:55 pm »

I am surprised you cannot get much for war...

WAR
The Native animals of the War Biome can have hide of armor and claws of blades, dressed head to toe as if it were a creature ready for war. There is no peace in this landscape and the only thing that determines if you live or die is your power and thus even the wildlife is in a constant vicious cycle. Docile animals simply are not part of of land of war. Beware the reddish water that flows for it enrages all those who drink from it.

Trees in these lands are either trodden and malnurished barely clinging to life, or are covered in jagged thorns often over a foot long. Also weapons seem to grow from the very earth but do not last long.

SONG
Lands of Song have constant music coursing through it, Most animals in the lands of song have roars, chirps, and barks while even the trees seem to sing. All creating this grand orchestra pleasant to behold. Though it should be said that these lands are not nessisarily safe as the constant noise makes the silent preditor that much tougher to spot and those who are not native to these lands have many a time become entranced by its song.  Animals from lands of Song also have incredible lung capacities and can hold their breath almost indefinately until they chose to roar with glass shattering notes that can deafen attackers.

Though another benefit to these lands is that occasionally the songs will switch to the deeds of great heros and kings many of which have long since been lost to history. Sometimes Bards travel these lands for inspiration. Though be sure to bring earplugs for the music never ceases.

---

I could probably come up with something for everything here (One of my older files that isn't on my computer quite litterally is EVERTHING... It includes things like Creatures of Dance containing a almost unnatural grace that makes them difficult to combat)... but if what I wrote is useless then there is no point.

So what do you think?

If my ideas are good then I'll just go down the list one by one and describe one possible Sphere land of that type.

As well remember that these lands are Thematically reflective of their sphere... A Land of Nightmares can be a land where the landscape is that of a nightmare... It doesn't nessisarily have to be a land where you get terrible nightmares.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 02:29:21 am by Neonivek »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 03:50:35 am »

I'd say that for all the ones such as the sphere of rivers, trees, oceans, seasons etc that are a natural part of many biomes already we'd see these aspects massively amplified.

The land of Caverns would have a natural access into the caverns, which would be larger and more expansive than usual, as well as maybe having up to 5 distinct caverns going down.

Coasts, Fish, Fishing, Lakes, Oceans, Water could have larger beaches and waves, water elementals, larger and more numerous fish of different kinds, depending on the specific type. Also mermaids/people!

The land of Mountains would have taller, more massive mountains than normal, and be a breeding place for rocs and other huge mountain-beasts.

The land of Muck I could see as instead of a wetland an actual mudland. We'd have bubbling mudpools spewing out muck, covering the ground and preventing grass from growing. Huge earthworms would also be digging around in the mud, assaulting careless travelers, which would also risk getting stuck in the mud and sinking into mudholes.

The land of Nature would be the new holy land of the elves, with huge towering forests, flowering meadows and all the other hippie stuff they love, including poniesunicorns for them to ride around.

The land of Trees for example would have more and much larger trees than normal, and most likely also "ents" or tree shepherds or whatever you want to call them. This would be prime realstate for the elves pretty much.

The land of Rivers would have loads of branching rivers crossing the landscape as well as many river creatures and water spirits. Also lots of waterfalls (since there isn't a specific sphere for this)

The land of Seasons would have sharply distinct seasons, shifting from intense heat and draught in summer to a rainy and stormy autumn to a cold, merciless winter after which comes a fertile spring to breath life back into the landscape.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 04:06:32 am »

WAR

A battlefield that has seen enough battles may turn into a war biome.

War biomes are obviously lands of eternal violence, and most likely are full of skeletons, old weapons and blood stains on the ground (or maybe in pools). Far more sieges. War biomes have also far less plant life than usual biomes.
INTERACTIONS: Maybe the occasional blood rain, and some adding [LIKES_FIGHTING] or [FLEEQUICK] to creatures. Weapons or bones or corpses falling from the sky, very occasionally.
WILDLIFE: The usual, but strictly all the predators (the victors of war) are far more violent and aggressive and the prey flee quickly (the victims of war). Infighting between species is very common
NATIVES: Unchanged, but animal men carry weapons and will wage war against your fort.
CIVILIZATIONS: Mostly goblins. Some dwarves may want to install themselves here to prove their valor in battle.

FORGIVENESS

All creatures in a Forgiveness biome get their enemy list set to None periodically. A willpower dice roll is given to resist the effect. Doesn't mean that LARGE_PREDATOR, CRAZED or OPPOSED_TO_LIFE creatures will not attack you, since it is in their nature.

JEALOUSY

All jealousy-related thoughts are more intense and more common, affecting not only nobles but common dwarves as well. Let's say it's far more difficult to set up a fortress in there, if not impossible. Expect also enemies to suddenly tear into each other.
CIVILIZATIONS : No civ can live here and survive. Not even goblins.

NIGHTMARES

A terrifying place to live. Sleeping here gives bad thoughts, the land is dark and foreboding.
INTERACTIONS : Maybe morale-sapping clouds.
WILDLIFE : Every creature is transformed into an horrible monstruosity. When striking a dwarf, they do not harm it physically, but give him a bad thought, and thereafter disappear. The only creatures not affected by the land are [NOTHOUGHT], [NOEMOTION] or [NOFEAR]
CIVILIZATIONS : Only [NOEMOTION] or [NOFEAR] small groups or individuals.

VALOR

Most epic place ever. Skill rate gain, healing rate, even maybe attributes are multiplied for all creatures as long as they are in a VALOR biome. Imagine Gurren Lagann in DF. Everyone gives lengthy boasts before going to battle, and battles are far more awesome than usual.

INTERACTIONS : Morale and mood-raising clouds, [NOFEAR] giving clouds, anything making creatures more badass and awesome really.
WILDLIFE: Every single creature is far more interesting, or far more badass, than the usual.
NATIVES: Natives are generally epic.
CIVILIZATIONS : Everyone that is no pacifist would want to live here, so settlements are tightly packed and conflict ensues.

FAME

Significant events happening here will be instantly known by the whole sentient world.

PERSUASION

All social skills will be learnt faster and will have much greater effect on other people.

PEACE

No melee or ranged fighting of any kind is possible in the boundaries of the biome. No butchering creatures. No tantrums, no berserk.
WILDLIFE : Wildlife is harmless, but you cannot harm them either.
NATIVES : Natives are harmless.
CIVILIZATIONS : Peace biomes would be a haven for peace-loving civilizations or for people seeking protection.

COURAGE

No creature can feel fear or  flee in the boundaries of a COURAGE biome. Kobolds and goblins will suddenly become more dangerous. Even the vermin would stand to fight the cats, although pointlessly...
CIVILIZATIONS : Another crowded biome, due to the positive effect, and conflict due to overpopulation is quite certain.

SPEECH

Every creature happening on a SPEECH biome will gain the [CAN_SPEAK] token, if it doesn't have it already. Social skills that rely on speaking will be boosted. Ettins will gather here.

SILENCE

Basically a land with no sound at all. All SOUND tokens will be disabled, all creatures will be unable to speak, ambushing will be boosted and all noise will be removed as long as you are inside a SILENCE biome. All of this will be removed as long as you leave the SILENCE biome, else it would be far too crippling.

No civilization with speech will want to live here, of cours.

BOUNDARIES

A land crossed by rivers, tree walls, undiggable stone, giant chasms spanning hundreds of Z-levels, and giant walls of the same size. Movement will be impaired quite a lot. Basically less movement possible.

DARKNESS and NIGHT and STARS

No or nearly no light, growing aboveground crops is impossible. No trees or aboveground plants as well. Only [NOCTURNAL] aboveground creatures. Generally colder.

MOON and DUSK and TWILIGHT

Much less light than usual, growing aboveground crops is far slower and yields less, less plant life. Only MATITUDINAL or VESPERTINE aboveground creatures.

DAY and LIGHT

Perpetual light, plants will grow better, only DIURNAL creatures, hotter in general. Cave adapted dwarves will be more affected by the sun.

FORTRESSES

A land filled with both dark and usual fortresses. Wildlife and plantlife are near-extinct, but rock is aplenty. Attracts dwarves, humans and goblins, leading to conflict.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 04:48:08 am by Naryar »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 04:58:37 am »

Some of these strike me as being redundant; Art/Music/Poetry/Etc could be merged with Beauty, Creation and maybe Crafts as well. Likewise Death and Thralls, Blight and Disease and probably a few others.

Neither does every sphere need its own biome, at least not in the conventional sense of the word. The effects of spheres like Peace, Courage and so on could be associated with sites instead; temples, shrines, the site of an important historical event.

Related to all this would be an idea I've been pondering for some time; veins or large clusters of a particular mystical stone. Take a region close to a large lode of Pyronium or whatever you want to call the stone that's responsible for abnormally high levels background fire-magic radiation. At the surface, everything would seemingly be normal except for the region being unusually prone to forest fires, but when you dug down into the caverns you started to find a number of local animal species that can either breathe fire or use other incendiary attacks, and in close proximity to the Pyronium deposits you start finding creatures that are made of fire. It would also affect your settlers, with an above-average number of children born there developing powers of pyrokinesis.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 06:56:44 am »

Thanks for the ideas! I'll add them and, of course, give credit where due.
Jake: The idea of magical minerals is neat. I'm going to leave these suggestions up for all spheres because A. it took a really long time to make, and B. I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be Courage- or Thrall-aligned regions. (I'm not sure what thralldom has to do with death anyways. Thralldom, as I understand it, means having someone under your control. Usually, death would interfere with that.)
Sig

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 08:04:16 am »

VICTORY

Embarking on a VICTORY biome simply makes you unable to lose the game when you reach 0 dwarves. Also, maybe like a VALOR biome but less overpowered.

SUICIDE

Should afflict all intelligent creatures with frequent negative thoughts, maybe with the occasional instant depression. As in most other negative biomes, No civilization will live here, nor will come here willingly, so you will be left alone. If you can survive.

FREEDOM

Every cage will be destroyed upon happening on a freedom biome, including trader's and the ones you build. Every chained creature on a freedom biome will be released just after being chained on a freedom biome. Every creature that is imprisoned between walls and cannot leave the map will be teleported to somewhere it can. Every bond of thralldom between two creatures will be broken, and every item used to limit a living being will be open or destroyed.

But that's a hard one, and considering freedom is a very subjective and personal concept...

TRAVELERS

Speed, EXCITEMENT_SEEKING and ENDURANCE of all creatures on a TRAVELERS biome is raised.
WILDLIFE : Tends to spend less time on the fort.
NATIVES : None. No people stay sedentary on a travelers biome. Although you will certainly see far more traffic than the usual fort.
CIVILIZATIONS : None, for the same reasons as the one state as NATIVe.

MURDER

All sentient creatures on a MURDER biome have their MURDER ethic set to ACCEPTABLE. This will probably mean the doom of your fort once proper ethics are in. And maybe blood rain.
WILDLIFE : More aggressive
NATIVES : Mostly assassins, villains and bandits. You know what they want to do to you !
CIVILIZATIONS : Goblins, some human and kobold bandits.

MUCK

A muck biome is obviously limited to a swamp. Aquifer necessary.
INTERACTIONS : A general speed downgrade for everyone but fliers.
WILDLIFE : Crocodiles, grimelings, hydras, hippos, giant mosquitoes
NATIVES : Only semi-aquatic or aquatic animal men. No advanced civilization would like to live here.

JUSTICE and LAWS

A JUSTICE or LAW biome will simply make it impossible to break a law, oath, mandate or edict. Think Judge Dredd as a genius loci.

INSPIRATION

An INSPIRATION biome will not only up the frequency of moods, but make dwarves able to make several strange moods in one life, which will make them extremely popular with the dwarves.

REVENGE

When someone is killed by another creature, a relative or friend of the killed WILL enter a special state called "revenge" or "Inigo Montoya", seek for the killer (whatever it is) and fight him to the death. No exceptions.

Of course, if a dwarf kills another one, that triggers a revenge cascade/spiral, and your fort has high chances to end up in a giant spiral of fun.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:11:32 am by Naryar »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 01:45:28 pm »

You've got lots of good ideas, Naryar. Maybe you should make your own separate list of what you think would be good for various spherey biomes. (This was, after all, intended to be a place where we think about ideas.)

Although I'd like to mention that some ideas you and other people came up with seemed a bit gamey. Like being unable to butcher animals in a peace biome, or cages being destroyed the instant they exist on the map in a freedom biome.
Sig

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 01:48:44 pm »

You've got lots of good ideas, Naryar. Maybe you should make your own separate list of what you think would be good for various spherey biomes. (This was, after all, intended to be a place where we think about ideas.)

Although I'd like to mention that some ideas you and other people came up with seemed a bit gamey. Like being unable to butcher animals in a peace biome, or cages being destroyed the instant they exist on the map in a freedom biome.

Indeed, I'd much rather see that these actions weren't impossible in these sphere lands but rather would come with greater consequence, either from angering the god in question who rules said sphere or from some kind of guardians present in the land that would enforce its values.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 02:03:02 pm »

Or just make it harder. Combat in a peaceful area? Both combatants fall asleep. Hunters in a peaceful area? The bolts have a tendancy to miss. Cages in a free area? Those inside escape. Living people in a death area? Kill them ALL!!
Sig

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 02:56:32 pm »

Some of these strike me as being redundant; Art/Music/Poetry/Etc could be merged with Beauty, Creation and maybe Crafts as well. Likewise Death and Thralls, Blight and Disease and probably a few others.

Neither does every sphere need its own biome, at least not in the conventional sense of the word. The effects of spheres like Peace, Courage and so on could be associated with sites instead; temples, shrines, the site of an important historical event.

Related to all this would be an idea I've been pondering for some time; veins or large clusters of a particular mystical stone. Take a region close to a large lode of Pyronium or whatever you want to call the stone that's responsible for abnormally high levels background fire-magic radiation. At the surface, everything would seemingly be normal except for the region being unusually prone to forest fires, but when you dug down into the caverns you started to find a number of local animal species that can either breathe fire or use other incendiary attacks, and in close proximity to the Pyronium deposits you start finding creatures that are made of fire. It would also affect your settlers, with an above-average number of children born there developing powers of pyrokinesis.

Well another way to look at a spherical land is that they arn't biomes in it of itself. They are sections of land that are under the influence of that sphere and are transformed into acting in accordance to it. A lot of the danger of Sphere-lands is that even your dwarves could fall under their influence.

Also judging by the lack of response no one thinks I was helping so I'll stay out of this thread.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 03:14:34 pm »

Well another way to look at a spherical land is that they arn't biomes in it of itself. They are sections of land that are under the influence of that sphere and are transformed into acting in accordance to it. A lot of the danger of Sphere-lands is that even your dwarves could fall under their influence.

Also judging by the lack of response no one thinks I was helping so I'll stay out of this thread.

That's a bit rash don't you think? Sorry for not commenting then but yes, those things you listed definitely feels fitting, and I also agree with your comment regarding sphere lands not being biomes. I'm not sure if people have different takes on it but as I've understood it these would be small areas blessed/cursed by a particular deity to take on aspects of the deitys sphere. They'd probably be the size of the current smaller evil/good areas one can find scattered across the world map.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 03:51:04 pm »

Well another way to look at a spherical land is that they aren't biomes in it of itself. They are sections of land that are under the influence of that sphere and are transformed into acting in accordance to it. A lot of the danger of Sphere-lands is that even your dwarves could fall under their influence.

That makes sense, but I still think that the ones that don't have a biome that corresponds directly should have some sort of justification to be blessed/cursed, be it a structure like a shrine or temple or some historical event that you can find out about in Legends mode; I really like the idea of the sites of great battles taking on some mystical significance, for example.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: [1] 2