Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Release the hamsters!  (Read 3244 times)

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Release the hamsters!
« on: June 10, 2012, 01:07:32 am »

Somehow I ended up with tame hamsters, tame crows, etc. They don't seem to be useful for anything, so I am building their cages outside and releasing them with a lever. I wonder what those hamsters will do?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Release the hamsters!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 01:09:25 am »

wander around a while then disappear

I actually had some fun with a tame hamster once, since one of my fort members was totally disgusted by them. It just made me laugh every time he walked past the cage. DF: where imagination beats animation
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 03:05:23 am »

if they are huge hamsters they are quite good at guarding your fort, much better then a war dog, say. Not sure whether normal sized hamsters are good for anything.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 03:22:27 am »

Put them in a cage in the meeting area, let them admire.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 05:09:10 am »

since regular hamsters are vermin, some dwarfs will not admire but freak out
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 05:42:52 am »

ORLY? Then just pit them. In a room full of cats.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 05:47:29 am »

ORLY? Then just pit them. In a room full of cats.

really:
I actually had some fun with a tame hamster once, since one of my fort members was totally disgusted by them. It just made me laugh every time he walked past the cage. DF: where imagination beats animation

had to dump the hamster since the guy was getting close to a tantrum since the hamster was in the meeting area near the central staircase so he passed it a lot and got a lot of bad thoughts. Since it was a choice between smith or hamster, the choice was clear.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 06:47:48 am »

wander around a while then disappear

Are you sure about that? I have never seen tame creatures walk off the map like wild ones do.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 06:56:47 am »

Won't it reverse to wild after a while?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 07:10:57 am »

different rules apply for vermin

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 07:34:24 am »

I had a vermin zoo based on an artifact cage.  It was very popular, despite all the bad thoughts generated by the vermin.  One Dwarf kept adopting any flying squirrels that were placed in the zoo.  She take it from the cage and then it would be returned to the cage, over and over again.  I finally put a cage in her bedroom.  When I assigned the squirrel to that cage, she was able to take the animal out and carry it.  She was always happy for having adopted a new pet, and also comforted by a pet, but the squirrels always vanished rather quickly after she put them on her shoulder.  I don't know if they were being eaten by someone, or if it was a bug of some kind.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 08:08:34 am »

regular vermin, instead of walking off the map, just vanish. Or get killed by vermin hunters. Tame ones just vanish after a while too. At least, that's what I puzzled together

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 12:52:15 pm »

I had a vermin zoo based on an artifact cage.  It was very popular, despite all the bad thoughts generated by the vermin.  One Dwarf kept adopting any flying squirrels that were placed in the zoo.  She take it from the cage and then it would be returned to the cage, over and over again.  I finally put a cage in her bedroom.  When I assigned the squirrel to that cage, she was able to take the animal out and carry it.  She was always happy for having adopted a new pet, and also comforted by a pet, but the squirrels always vanished rather quickly after she put them on her shoulder.  I don't know if they were being eaten by someone, or if it was a bug of some kind.

Maybe they flew away?  :P
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 03:19:46 pm »

Heh, made me chuckle.

Of course what you really want are miniature giant space hamsters. Go for the eyes Boo, go for the eyes!

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 07:08:00 pm »

Cage the hamsters until a famine occurs, then release them when folks start hunting vermin for food.

i trapped and tamed a vermin spider, with a kennel built in the weakest cavern, last night in the fortress I'm playing.  I am going to use the vermin spider to web the bottom of this 9 level mini mass pit.  I heard the drop got increased from 11 levels to 40 levels to kill something outright, so it might be wise to take out a little more insurance, and make sure anything pitted, doesn't re-enter the fortress.

I can't figure out what to do with tameproof damselflies and butterflies.  I thought maybe releasing them in the shroom growing room.  Insects + plants are good, pollenation.  Well some are.  Others are bad, leaf eaters.  Since that room is enclosed, I thought maybe they'd stay put.  But if they poof gradually, I waste my time. 

I didn't know they poofed.  Sincerely, Knutor

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: [1] 2