Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49

Author Topic: StNPO - 2 - A new challenger approaches!  (Read 109417 times)

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well the zombies have the surface, the first cavern layer is GreatWyrmGold's territory, everyone alive is in the second cavern layer and what I've seen of the third is totally flooded, the underwater lake is directly above the magma sea. Not played DF in a while so this is my first time against zombies, tantrum spirals I can generally handle but a murderous kill everything in sight spiral? *_* A lot of the creatures on this map fly too which compounds the difficulty, I'm having to erect walls around bodies to contain them.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 02:16:38 pm by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Say, where's my ghost? Is it near the surface, near my body, or near the main part of the fortress?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile

are we going to survive turn 1 or should I be preparing myself to reclaim?  Also, is there actually a fortress?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your ghost is in the tunnels between the surface and the first cavern layer, also I accidently connected the 1st and 2nd layers whilst making a caravan path which resulted in your physical corpse coming down and beating up Cellmonk, he'll need some hospital time and a while to learn how to crutch walk but should be fine, Xeres cut you down with an axe and the others are currently building a wooden wall around your body before you come back to life.

We should survive, there's 11 dwarfs, most of them are content, have a good deal of military experience and good skills. It's just they're surviving rather than prospering.
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

28th Sandstone

By the gods something is wrong here, I took a stroll through the caverns and what do I see? The militia commander punching a shell, after staring for a while he seemed to get tired of the activity and as he walked past me muttered "zombies, they're everywhere you know", it took quite a deal of effort not to laugh at the clearly insane fellow, Cellmonk may have been amusing in his madness though others were just annoying.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2nd Timber

A large sloth like creature came strolling though the caverns today, it was massive though and had a tail 3 times the length of it's body! Never seen such a fantastic creature, I stayed very still and let it pass me by, I chuckled slightly as it brushed by one of my sleeping companions, he didn't even notice.

5th Timber

How horrific! The pet goose was running around squawking, something had clearly mauled it for where a wing should be blood was gushing, after it died Eshtan, his owner took the wretched corpse to the magma pit, said a couple of words and tossed the animal in. That should have been it but no, noxious smoke billowed from the pit and a scream echoed to the caverns above, Eshtan began inhaling magma mist and as his insides burnt he collapsed to the ground and died shortly afterwards.

12th Timber

The mad militia commander, Cellmonk may have some justification to his paranoia, you wouldn't believe it, a dwarf with his head caved in and maggots crawling through his skin charged down the stairs and assaulted the fellow, I had my axe in my hands and beat down the foul monster, Cellmonk is in bed now and will need a fair bit of recuperation, when he woke I took the time to ask him about his history, he was rather talkative and strangely when I asked him how he was he said ecstatic, clearly insane but he can probably be forgiven for it.

18th Timber

I've been here less than a month and already I think I've seen it all, apparently a zombie cow that's missing it's body and also it's head is terrorizing my companions, well I'm feeling jolly tired now, actually come to think of it everyone looks a bit sleepy so I'm heading off now.

24th Timber

Ifeno ran through the place like a madman, "The caravans are coming! Quick, you! Fetch a bin of finished goods from the old fortress!" he pointed to another dwarf frantically "If anyone asks your the official broker, keep the merchants entertained" and with a final spin he sent a group of dwarfs to try and chip a few blocks down to mugs and instruments, "Anything we can sell! The future of this fortress depends on the supplies we get from this caravan and the stories they bring back to the mountainhomes."

Things didn't go great, the diplomat took a single step onto the fortress grounds, turned around and left, the wildlife slaughtered the two guards before the convoy could reach the depot and the broker overeager to impress was dismissed, everything's become tense as the crafters try and squeeze a couple more pieces of jewellery to their inventories whilst I care for the three injured dwarfs in my care.

9th Moonstone

All in all it could've been worse, we took a away a years supply of food, some cloth, a few pieces of weaponry and a mail shirt, some changes have been made to the caverns since I first arrived and though grim I think we'll come through, this fortress WILL succeed and we WILL rival the mountain home, goblins will quiver in fear and we shall slay all those who oppose us whilst we bathe in riches a human could only dream of!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:24:39 pm by ashton1993 »
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I now have the image in my head of a dwarf and a mussel shell fighting, with the shell just sort of bouncing around and occasionally bumping into the dwarf while the dwarf keeps trying to hit it and keeps missing because it's bouncing around so much.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try to reclaim the old fortress and get a real fortress set up before the end of your turn.  Having everyone hauled up in the caverns is a tad sad when we have this big epic entrance with a moat and a draw bridge.
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try to reclaim the old fortress and get a real fortress set up before the end of your turn.  Having everyone hauled up in the caverns is a tad sad when we have this big epic entrance with a moat and a draw bridge.
I've got 6 days left of my turn so it's probably not worth it though your welcome to try, the trap is set by the way though I didn't complete the sacrifice, I'm figuring Armok is more than happy with the fortress anyway though. ;)

E: Pan seemed to come back from the dead, I think there's a glitch on the map where sometimes instead of a zombie appearing a duplicate of the corpse appears but alive and healthy, also there is not a single named dwarf that cares about anything any more, also every named dwarf has a large amount of kills too.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:13:11 pm by ashton1993 »
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What happened to my re-corpse?
Did I ever get re-dwarfed? If not, I'll just take whatever the first two-skilled dwarf is that no one else has claimed. His roleplayed personality should be "Likes literature and writing" mixed with "Haunted by GreatWyrmGold's ghost, and wants to put down the corpse for good." I still have a neat image of the possible aftermath of this...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've got 6 days left of my turn so it's probably not worth it though your welcome to try, the trap is set by the way though I didn't complete the sacrifice, I'm figuring Armok is more than happy with the fortress anyway though. ;)

E: Pan seemed to come back from the dead, I think there's a glitch on the map where sometimes instead of a zombie appearing a duplicate of the corpse appears but alive and healthy, also there is not a single named dwarf that cares about anything any more, also every named dwarf has a large amount of kills too.

Fair enough, with the population so low a sacrifice is too dangerous.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If my dwarf and the others keep up the good work, we might never get a proper sacrifice. Khornean sacrifices are a given, though.
Sig

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If my dwarf and the others keep up the good work, we might never get a proper sacrifice. Khornean sacrifices are a given, though.

To be honest, if it's unreasonable I very well may just drop the whole "sacrifice" rule.  I really like the idea but as things stand I don't think it's a reasonable thing to do.  We'll see how things develop over the next few turns.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

9th Opal

A giant mosquito made the mistake of attacking a tantruming dwarf, the fellow proceeded to beat the bug to a pulp and then after it had died picked up the corpse and flung it a good 20 ft, rather impressive, the word is a dwarf by the name of Pan returned from the dead and is now well and healthy, I think I'm going as mad as everyone else around here.

3rd Obsidian

A Giant Cave Spider crawled into our domain earlier this week, I called to the others not to kill the magnificent beast though they did anyway, we at least secured the corpse safely perhaps we can harvest it's silk next year? A couple were injected with venom though clearly a small dosage for though they stayed motionless for a full day each made a full recovery.

1st Granite

The first day of the year! What comes next is my wildest guess though being a part of this fortress has been an honour, though trodden down I think I've changed my mind about the place.

GOOD LUCK!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 08:31:47 am by ashton1993 »
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also for my challenge can the reward/punishment be given to Xeres? Decide whether I succeeded, failed or didn't qualify for either yourself :)

Challenge 2:

Challenge: You are to construct a suspended walkway over the courtyard - 2 z-levels above the cliff face. There is to be a direct path from the barracks to the magma sea.  There is to be a barracks attached by a smaller walkway.

Rough blueprints:

Top:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
               |#####|
               |#####|         +------+
               |#####+------+#### |
               ################|
               ################|
               |#####+------+#### |
               |#####|         +------+
               |#####|
    $$$$$   |#####|   $$$$$
    $$$$$--+#####+--$$$$$
    $$$$$######### $$$$$
    $$$$$--------------$$$$$
    $$$$$                    $$$$$

Side:

|             |      |          |
             ------------------------
           /     | |                | |
______/____| |__________| |___
       /
     /

Bonus: Build drawbridges and link them so that the courtyard also has a retractable roof
Reward: 4 years after your turn is complete you may claim/repurpose any single artefact which has been created by this point and have it used in whichever manner you chose, if no artefacts have been made by this point your reward is forfeit.

Bonus Reward: Any dwarf claimed by yourself can be given a bedroom inside a megaproject of your choosing, again this reward can only be used once.
Punishment: Your dwarf will fight the first goblin siege to arrive after your turn single-handedly, no assistance may be given either until your dwarf is dead or has killed at least 5 opponents.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:46:49 am by ashton1993 »
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

your link doesn't seem to lead anywhere....
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49