Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 49

Author Topic: StNPO - 2 - A new challenger approaches!  (Read 107032 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: StNPO - 2 - Actually pretty alive!
« Reply #420 on: August 17, 2012, 01:56:44 pm »

Ifeno, that's a hardcore challenge. But glorious indeed!

How will he make shelter if he can't cut trees or mine? Theft?
gather clay and build of it?
Anyway, forest dweller at evil region... Only vampire can survive there!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 17, 2012, 02:00:42 pm »

There's a tonne of forbidden resources strewn over the place, you could probably build a shelter out of that if you were sneaky.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 17, 2012, 02:09:36 pm »

Ultra bonus:  Use blood not magma.
Not possible, the only true liquids in Dwarf Fortress are water and magma.
You can't even use blood contaminated water because pumps filter contaminates out of water.

Great challenge though I don't think the fort has the population to do it in one turn while fighting the zombie horde.
Only 7 of us remain.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 17, 2012, 02:34:57 pm »

It wouldn't necessarily have to be pumped in, I mean you could have it below the surface and just run the water straight from the river and have it go through a corpse stockpile on the way, you'd probably have to have a drainage system which opened every now and then to get rid of the pressure though.
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 17, 2012, 02:36:45 pm »

Great challenge though I don't think the fort has the population to do it in one turn while fighting the zombie horde.
Only 7 of us remain.
Oh, my. I'd like a new dwarf, a smith if possible and anyone working with flames if not--e.g, furnace operators, wood burners, potters, and so forth.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 17, 2012, 04:02:20 pm »

You can't even use blood contaminated water because pumps filter contaminates out of water.

The only way to do it would be to fill it with water and then soak it with blood.  You'd have to keep refilling it though.  I've made a "blood moat" before.  Granted it's merely water with blood coloring.  Still nice though.  Sorry I should've made that more clear.
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 17, 2012, 04:02:37 pm »

Only 7 of us remain.
Oh, my. I'd like a new dwarf, a smith if possible and anyone working with flames if not--e.g, furnace operators, wood burners, potters, and so forth.

believe it or not you're alive.
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 17, 2012, 04:12:29 pm »

The only way to do it would be to fill it with water and then soak it with blood.  You'd have to keep refilling it though.  I've made a "blood moat" before.  Granted it's merely water with blood coloring.  Still nice though.  Sorry I should've made that more clear.
Bonus:  Include magma fountains.
Super bonus:  channels of magma that flow beneath the citadel.  Glass floor tiles are to be built above the magma channels so that dwarves can safely walk over them but still see them.
Your right that works for moats but it won't work for the fountain because pumps output clean water regardless of how contaminated the water source is.
The fountain part will have clean water even if you dump a dead body in its water source.
Even putting a body at the output of the pump would difficult due to flow and the need to replace it when it decays.

I have found that if you run dirty water through a closed loop pumpstack long enough you can actually clean the contaminates out of the reservoir.
It takes a long time for that to happen though.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 17, 2012, 04:15:33 pm »

Super bonus:  channels of magma that flow beneath the citadel.  Glass floor tiles are to be built above the magma channels so that dwarves can safely walk over them but still see them.
Your right that works for moats but it won't work for the fountain because pumps output clean water regardless of how contaminated the water source is.
The fountain part will have clean water even if you dump a dead body in its water source.
Even putting a body at the output of the pump would difficult due to flow and the need to replace it when it decays.

I have found that if you run dirty water through a closed loop pumpstack long enough you can actually clean the contaminates out of the reservoir.

A very valid point.  It would have to be a closed loop then and it would occasionally have to be restocked with fresh blood.  That actually makes it MORE dwarven.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 17, 2012, 04:24:14 pm »

A very valid point.  It would have to be a closed loop then and it would occasionally have to be restocked with fresh blood.  That actually makes it MORE dwarven.
You might be able to make it work by putting a upright spike trap connected to a lever in the output of the pumpstack and trapping a vampire there.
The spike trap would make sure the vampire always has a open wound to provide blood.
I think the vampire would have to be trapped in a u-bend though since flow can move things through grates.

Maybe something like this.
Code: [Select]
     OOO
OOOO O Xx
   O O O
OO-OOO-O
 O     O
 O|||||O

O = wall
- = floor grate
| = upright spike trap
Xx = Screw Pump (X = output)
I hope the floor grates would keep the vampire from swimming out of his watery prison.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:30:03 pm by arclance »
Sigtext

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 17, 2012, 04:32:58 pm »

That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 17, 2012, 04:34:25 pm »

You might be able to make it work by putting a upright spike trap connected to a lever in the output of the pumpstack and trapping a vampire there.
The spike trap would make sure the vampire always has a open wound to provide blood.
I think the vampire would have to be trapped in a u-bend though since flow can move things through grates.
This sounds good,  but you would always have to go back and assign a job to flip the switch to create an open wound. It would be better if you hooked up a repeater to the traps to continually injure the Vampire without micromanagement, with an optional emergency shutoff switch for if the Vampire gets too injured.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 17, 2012, 04:37:23 pm »

It's really a shame we have so little man power as it makes it very unlikely that the challenge will be fulfilled.   Oh well maybe it'll get done eventually.  Regardless I'm very curious to see what future overseer come up with regarding this challenge.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 17, 2012, 04:38:47 pm »

Maybe you should give people two year turns until population grows/stabilizes?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 17, 2012, 04:49:50 pm »

believe it or not you're alive.
This is another quote that should be put in the Quotes section in the OP, but since my other suggestions weren't taken...
Well, take my previous idea for when my current dwarf dies. Name him GreatWyrmIgnis or somesuch, and add pyromania to his list of traits past my usual*.

*Liking reading and writing, haunted by deceased members of the GreatWyrmGroup, wanting to avenge said members, dying horribly in the process.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 49