Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 49

Author Topic: StNPO - 2 - A new challenger approaches!  (Read 107347 times)

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
Re: StNPO - 2 - Actually pretty alive!
« Reply #525 on: August 26, 2012, 08:42:53 pm »

It seems like I'm destined to always be wrong about these things. I say, 'I'll have an update later tonight' and there's nothing for three days, I say 'I won't be able to update until tomorrow' and I post one three hours later.

Hey, spontaneity should be encouraged :p
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 26, 2012, 09:05:13 pm »

I feel like something is about to go terribly wrong soon. 
But good job on salvaging the fort. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 26, 2012, 09:13:59 pm »

I feel like something is about to go terribly wrong soon. 
But good job on salvaging the fort. 

same feeling here.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 26, 2012, 10:03:30 pm »

Are you guys TRYING to jinx him!?
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 26, 2012, 10:22:23 pm »

I'm almost hoping for the other shoe to drop, to be honest.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 26, 2012, 11:16:19 pm »

Dorf me as one of mechanics, whoever is male and more badass. Name him "Gar the 2nd".

So, when we're going to take over the rest of fortress? who's going to be the inhabitant of shelter?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 26, 2012, 11:18:23 pm »

I know I'm not technically a player in this, but I have a sudden urge to request dorfing. If you feel like it, can you just add the profession "the masked dwarf" to some random dorf?

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 27, 2012, 11:10:09 pm »

Bleh. My computer died while I was playing. Didn't lose significant progress in game, but I lost everything I'd been writing for the update. So this one will be shorter and more disjointed than usual.

11 Malachite, 11, Mid-Summer

Little of note has happened since we reclaimed the upper layer of the fortress. We have begun developing plans to retake the central staircase, the better to expand on from there, though we are hampered by our lack of cages. Wood has been mostly set aside for beds, while glass, though accessible, requires the use of bags, all of which are currently being used for seed storage. A group of goblins has arrived outside for some reason, and seems to be making a point of attacking the cursed ones.

18 Galena, 11, Late Summer

Work has been progressing slowly on retaking the central staircase.

Retaking them by force is not an option for us, despite our recent successes. The risk is simply too great that we will allow the cursed ones back into what we have reclaimed. Thanks to the efforts of Nish and Ast, we have created a few bags and started glass production. When he realized that there were a bunch of nickel bars lying around the fortress, the captain began forging cages as well. The central stair may well be ours by the early autumn.

19th Limestone, Early Autumn

Once again, despite the considerable danger, immigrants have come.

I can only imagine what kind of horrors they must have been facing to decide that this place was worth traveling to to escape. For that matter, I have never asked any of the immigrants here why they came to this fortress. I must make a note of asking them in the future.

Work on the cages is nearly complete; soon we will lure the cursed ones in.

23rd Limestone, 11, Early Autumn

Amazingly, the immigrants managed to break into our fortress with no problems, not encountering either the goblins nor the cursed ones wandering about.

While having a population of twenty, along with a rooster and a horse, is certainly something wonderful, it nevertheless puts a strain on our wood stocks. For now, most of them will have to wait their turn to get a bed in the dormitory. One among them is a skilled surgeon, but the lack of beds precludes construction of a hospital at the current time. Meanwhile, our attempt to capture the stairwell shall begin tomorrow. Let us hope our luck still holds...

15th Sandstone, 11, Mid-Autumn

Our plan did not quite go as hoped.

The hole in our defenses left by the immigrants seems to be to blame here; fortunately we had a secondary defense: a door. Construction is underway of a second trap corridor to contain this new intrusion.

1st Timber, 11, Late Autumn

The stairwell is ours.

And, done.

I should pull off an update tomorrow. Probably not Wednesday; my classes are basically all M/W/F, so my update schedule should change accordingly.

Also, the reason the immigrants got in safely was because the goblins (who were about fifteen squares away) were busy fighting the zombified head of a human merchant they'd killed earlier, which was backed up by some zombified teeth they'd knocked out of it earlier.

This is the best fort ever.

edit: By the way, any ideas on what to do with the caged zombies? I was thinking to just toss them in a pit so I could reuse the cages before glass production started, but now I'm leaning towards just having a bunch of caged zombies around the place. Maybe have the next challenge be to build a zombie moat.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:56:09 pm by TSTwizby »
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 28, 2012, 04:51:26 am »

The reason the immigrants got in safely was because the goblins (who were about fifteen squares away) were busy fighting the zombified head of a human merchant they'd killed earlier, which was backed up by some zombified teeth they'd knocked out of it earlier.

This is the best fort ever.

This sums up our situation so perfectly I have to put it in the OP.
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 28, 2012, 11:32:09 am »

I have two ideas for your caged zombies. They can even technically feed one into the other :)

1) a zombie-zoo (naturally)

2) a zombie apocalypse simulator cleverly disguised as an arena. Cages could be positioned and opened inside, and then any other creature you capture can be put in an airlock system utilizing two bridges (one separating it from the outside world, the other separating the airlock from the arena.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 28, 2012, 09:47:44 pm »

Holy &*^%, my dwarf has still survived?
S/he clearly deserves to be called "Steel."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 28, 2012, 09:57:44 pm »

Update time. By the way, all requests have been dorfed. (That's peregarret as 'Gar the 2nd' Zasitmend, Mechanic, who is unfortunately no longer the most badass thanks to the artefact, jesternario as Bomrek Rimothbakust, the masked dwarf, and andyman564 as 'Reginald the 2nd' Duthnurnish, Woodcutter. Also me as Rimtar Etaslikot, Record Keeper)

10th Timber, 11, Late Autumn

Now that the staircase is ours, work has begun on a glorious new temple to Armok.

We have little in the way of fine statues or gems to fill the temple with, but I am sure now that we will only grow stronger from here. Meanwhile, we have started moving into the fortress proper, now that our bunker is no longer necessary.

We have decided to leave the bunker as it is for now, as a safeguard against future dangers. I and a few others have decided to take charge of the bunker, to make sure it does not fall into disrepair before we need to use it.

Also, our carpenter ran off in the middle of removing some excess cage traps today, muttering about a great idea he had come up with.

The captain decided to let him do as he wishes, in the hope that it will be something worthwile.

19th Timber, 11, Late Autumn

The merchants from the mountainhomes have come, and will likely soon be gone.

The carpenter has been tinkering around in our mechanic's workshop for some reason, gathering wood and logs, but now he is demanding cut gems. None among us is a skilled jewler, but our soaper, who otherwise has little to do beyond hauling things around has agreed to try his hand at it.

Work on the temple is slow, as there are only two miners between us. The captain has begun to smelt more picks, by melting down the useless weapons lying around the fortress.

1st Moonstone, 11, Early Winter

And now, winter is upon us.

Work progresses on the temple, as it has. We have gotten a jewler's workshop set up, and Oddom has begun carving gems.

We have begun preparing the old bedrooms which had been planned for use in the old fortress. Until the temple is complete there will be no time to dig out the rest of them, but we can wait in the bunker until then. The captain has begun producing statues, and our carpenter has begun to work furiously. We shall see what this amounts to soon enough, I suppose.

Ordinarily I would take inventory, but the fortress is in complete disarray at this point. Too much construction is going on to gather together what we have reclaimed, and no one seems to care overmuch that they are constantly maneuvering around the clothes left by the deceased, so I suppose that this is fine for the moment.

10th Moonstone, 11, Early Winter

Litast the carpenter finished his work today, a truly wonderful piece of mechanics.

Looking at this, I was struck with inspiration for a way to defend our temple. I shall not discuss it here, but rather let my design speak for itself once it is complete.

I might do another mini-update tonight, depending on how quickly my homework gets done. Based on how quickly the temple is moving, I'm thinking I'll leave what to do with the zombies up to the next overseer.
Live bait.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 28, 2012, 11:10:51 pm »

Super pumped to see the citadel finished!

Btw, who are you dorfed as Wizby?  I updated the OP for all the new dorfs but I don't know about yours.

also,

I'll leave what to do with the zombies up to the next overseer.

is basically the fort's motto.  With that said, I'm going to try to write us a theme song...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:17:18 pm by Ifeno »
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 28, 2012, 11:45:36 pm »

A cog worthy of the Hammerites. Someone call Garret and tell him he needs to steal something :D

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 29, 2012, 02:18:47 am »

A cog worthy of the Hammerites. Someone call Garret and tell him he needs to steal something :D
Huh huh huh...  8)
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 49