Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 49

Author Topic: StNPO - 2 - A new challenger approaches!  (Read 109286 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: StNPO - 2 - Actually pretty alive!
« Reply #615 on: October 02, 2012, 06:18:57 pm »

1.  I constructed a pit, and it was basically all completed, but I was just starting to link up the cages containing the zombies when the forgotten beast killed the entire fort.  So very close to complete, but not entirely complete.  I was also building a giant nickle bridge over the entire thing but no one would move the nickle. 
2.  Yes, which is why someone needs to get it completed.  I had started designating dig zones for it, but I don't believe the miners had managed to get anything done. 
My challenge is more of a way for the migrants to get safely inside the fort, give them useful skills, and to hopefully keep any tantruming dwarves from entering the main fort area, as I had problems with that due to half the migrants dying before they entered. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 02, 2012, 06:53:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure you only had a bedrooms challenge, which I believe was completed.
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 02, 2012, 08:56:58 pm »

sooooo wizby what do you think of this challenge?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 04, 2012, 05:27:59 pm »

slowpokez has 1 day left...
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 05, 2012, 09:47:55 am »

Would it be wise to PM Scruffy with this information so he can respond faster?
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 05, 2012, 12:22:50 pm »

Well might as well pm him now, because it's his turn lol.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 05, 2012, 01:53:31 pm »

Oh yeah... *facepalm*
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 06, 2012, 11:41:28 am »

Oh yeah... *facepalm*
Wouldn't even have realized if Ifeno hadn't PMd me.

Edit: I will try to play the turn tomorrow
Edit: Just tried reclaiming it three times. Never managed to get past the first days..
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 12:40:36 pm by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 06, 2012, 02:17:45 pm »

1st Granite
-The hermitic constructs, an under supplied military expedition to reclaim the wreck some call "Poolstockades".
-Why the mountainhomes wanted to setup a fortress in there is beyond my comprehension. Most likely just so they could get rid of all their unwanted idiots by sending them there to die.
-We have finally arrived. Scruffy, the driver parked out wagon next to an old rotten wagon that seems to have been there for a while. I wonder what happened to them.
-Seems like we have a handful of pet kobolds. I'm sure that they will prove more formidable than most of my recruits.
-The main gates are closed and there is no sign of the local populance. Proceeding with making our own enterence.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2st Granite
-We have breached the fortress roof near the main stockpiles.
-Ambush!(x10) Curse them! To arms you furry midgets! It is just a decomposing carcass of a dead
blind cave troll!
-They are everywhere! We have lost lost most of our dwarfpower.
-Notes end here

----------------------------------------------

1st Granite The next year
-Full military expedition Mines of Tunneling with only enough supplies for a month or two.
-dead

1st Granite (again)
-The labor of Holes, a full military without any supplies except for a few seeds. Plenty of junk in all those abandoned wagons..
-Managed to get in a small hole that the previus expedition dug.
-The amount of corpses of dead military dwarves are starting to build up..
-They are all dead Dave. Everybody is dead Dave.

..1st Granite
-Legendary Syrup
-We don't need no stinking food or supplies! More weapons!
- ~90 zombies. dead

You know the date
-The armory of generals
-Success! 2 Hammerdorfs and a miner managed to hole up and remove the stairs.
Too bad that they have nothing to build a wall out of to block the hole.

3rd Granite (finally!)
-Lets see what supplies we managed to scavange.
a copper breastplate
a copper mailshirt
2 shoes
a xsockx
a splint
an alder bolt (a single one)
a piece of leather
a dead dog
a mudstone crown
and 2 (only sligtly nipped) plump helmet spawns!

4rd Granite
-They ate the plumphelmets

10th Granite
-Managed to mine a piece of mudstone! Miners be praised! Now I can seal the hole.
-Melancholic dwarf. Figures. The dog ate one of the remaining two.

12th Granite
-The corpses keep coming back!
-The survivor doesnt seem eager on carrying the corpses away.

15th Granite
-They resurrect just before he could finish building the wall. He killed them, idled, started cleaning the floor and finally bled to death.

Edit: attempt to embark with carpenters and build a wall: failed. The last survivor dodged down a hole and got killed by an undead batman. :P
currently 110 hostiles/undead in the area (plus everything that is in the hidden parts of the fort)
Edit: Scratch that. One of the hairy little dorflings actually managed to dodge down a 3level cliff to the courtyard and land on a raven. He survived the fall, punched the raven to death and managed to deconstruct one of the walls! He is inside the fort! yes!

10th Granite
I only have safe access to a small part of the fort, a single carpenter with a broken nose and 3 blowguns :P
The hell? There is a door to the statue chamber? For all this time I have been struggling I could have just used the door? How dwarven of me.
I'm still continuing with one dwarf.

14th Granite
Ambushed by a stealthed FB. Dead.

My sevent try and this time most likely a success. I finally realized that I could just use the door..

10th Granite
-My military expedition (5 hammerdwarves and 2 military pickdwarves/growers have succesfully reclaimed the upper floors of the fort. (Except for Olin. His sacrifice will be remembered)
Not safe to try gaining access to the mainstairway yet. A stealthed FB is lurking behind a locked door..

20th Slade
-Got the fort somewhat going. My miner lost the ability to stand a month ago and finally went berserk. Seems like he also regained his ability to move while berserking..

22th Slade
-The other miner went melancholic

4th Felsite
-Started building a more organized crafting hall.
28th Felsite
-Started building the immigrant airlock. I sure could use those potash makers. Running really low on seeds and lost both of my planters (the miners) so I only have 4 hammerdwarves running the fort.

3rd Malachite
-Praise Armok! Migrants! A whole two of them! The forts population is now mighty 6 drunken midgets. Dwarfed some people.

25th Malachite
-Greatwyrm, exactly how many ghosts do you have? I keep crafting slabs yet more seems to always pop up.

28th Galena
-Fort finally stable. Ran out of wood (and had no axes) but realized that the carpenter's shop on the courtyard was full of beds. Time to take the risk and let the dwarves outside. The bookkeeper (Cellnun, daugher of Cellmonk) managed to somehow wander into the first caverns through an unforbidden door. Surprisingly she just whacked a few critters with his hammer, took a walk around and then returned.

10th Sandstone
-Greatwyrm's new incarnation managed to get his arse kicked by a dead dog. Or atleast about 1/3 of a dog since it only had a head, upper body and one leg. The idiotic soldier was issued to equip a pick but he was HAULING the pick and threw it away before charging the zombie barehanded. He will survive.

28th Sandstone
-Migrants. Scruffy is running to battle while carrying a pot of wine. More dwarfed people.

5th Timber
-Couldn't get most of the immigrants inside. GreatWyrm died (again). Seemed like a group of an elf head, horse and an undead hamster man.

6th Timber
-As did Ifeno, Scruffy and Cellnun. Seems like Scruffy charged something, missed and slammed into an obstacle. Ifeno and Cellnun retreated but got crushed by that pressureplate drawbridge infront the fort.

25th Timber
-The fourth or fifth GreatWyrm ghost has appeared. This one a moaning ghost following the militia captain. A fearless kobold entered the fort and stole a gem while the militia was busy getting rid of goblin zombies that entered while finishing the immigrant airlock. Sampson 2nd and Peregar got killed by.. something.

5th Moonstone
Only one dwarf left. It all went to hell after opening the doors for the migrants and losing the well trained militia. After that opening a wall inorder to finish the challenge airlock and letting in the caravan caused few stealthed mobs get in. The only winner was the proud kobold with his stolen gem.
The migrant quarters

5th Opal
-The last dwarf lost motorfunction. GreatWyrmSteel's ghost tried it's best to drive the survivor insane but luckily he starved first. Fort withered. The population never even got above 7. :P

I checked a copy of the fort afterwards with "reveal". Turns out there were 1557 "other" creatures on the map.
The reclaim save is here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7016
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 04:47:00 am by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 06, 2012, 04:31:40 pm »

Sorry for the lateness. I'll call the challenge 'incomplete', though it's kind of a moot point. I thought we already had kind of a  bunker, though it might have needed a drawbridge across the entrance still...
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 06, 2012, 05:01:24 pm »

Jesus, this fort is owning you. Why don't you embark with 3 miners and have them all just build staircases directly into the ground and just keep going, it's actually really rare for something on the surface to come down and pursue you unless it's a goblin siege or something like that. Keep everyone downstairs and sneak up to grab food. You can tunnel into rooms with supplies and gradually build the fort that way.
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 06, 2012, 08:12:57 pm »

Jesus, this fort is owning you. Why don't you embark with 3 miners and have them all just build staircases directly into the ground and just keep going, it's actually really rare for something on the surface to come down and pursue you unless it's a goblin siege or something like that. Keep everyone downstairs and sneak up to grab food. You can tunnel into rooms with supplies and gradually build the fort that way.
wagons were mostly on top of the fort so had to dig a few squares away from the wagon and the zombies were too close and kept scaring the miners. Managed to dig a few holes but couldn't get the dwarves in (civillians ran away and didnt remove stairs and soldiers were too eager to get their arses kicked.
It is going smoothly now.

Et tu, Urist

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 06, 2012, 09:52:25 pm »

I wonder who is is that keeps sending dwarves to this forsaken outpost.  There is nothing there of strategic value, no valuable minerals, nothing at all.  Yet the mountainhomes keep sending expeditions to reclaim it.  Just so that the zombies won't control a worthless base in the middle of a canyon. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 06, 2012, 09:58:03 pm »

I like how I died so many times my ghosts are a hindrance.

Can I have a  new dwarf in the reclaim party? GreatWyrmLight, a militia dwarf who will be driven by the spirits of GreatWyrms past.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 06, 2012, 11:28:47 pm »

I wonder who is is that keeps sending dwarves to this forsaken outpost.  There is nothing there of strategic value, no valuable minerals, nothing at all.  Yet the mountainhomes keep sending expeditions to reclaim it.  Just so that the zombies won't control a worthless base in the middle of a canyon.

Hey this is more viable than the Terrifying glacier I have that's on its 29th re-claim.  And it's in the fucking arctic ocean.  Goblins can't even reach there....
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 49