Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A spire of candy on the second level of caverns? WAT?  (Read 2300 times)

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
A spire of candy on the second level of caverns? WAT?
« on: September 25, 2012, 06:05:43 pm »

well, I was early in the year and im scouting around the caverns, and I thought I found the great spire, but I found another, on the second level of the caverns. WAT?

I then find an upward passage leading to the first level,
I found another spire of great candy.

The actual fk, I think my map is broken, it says "You have discovered a deep pit."
thefuck
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:21:19 pm by Gavakis »

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: A spire of candy on the second level of caverns? WAT?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 06:23:54 pm »

Candy spires, very very VERY rarely appear on the surface. One such famous incident had a spire that went over 2000 Z levels into the sky. If they can appear on the surface they might as well appear anywhere.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:26:15 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 06:37:58 pm »

you can mine 2nd cavern spires safelly

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 12:50:34 am »

Not necessarily safely, but generally with less chance of dying horribly. You can definitely always mine the top layer safely.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 01:56:52 am »

Well, you can mine the top layer safely if your embark party isn't clowning around as soon as you unpause, anyway. :)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 05:31:11 am »

don't spoil the fun guys. 2nd cavern spires are always safe

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 07:50:15 am »

How's the fps on the map? Usually candy spires have terrible fps for whatever reason.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 02:46:18 pm »

How's the fps on the map? Usually candy spires have terrible fps for whatever reason.

Only if they go 2000 z-levels into space, requiring more memory than God to do any sort of pathing. Regular, non map-expanding spires won't do anything to FPS.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 10:37:11 pm »

Candy spires, very very VERY rarely appear on the surface. One such famous incident had a spire that went over 2000 Z levels into the sky. If they can appear on the surface they might as well appear anywhere.
That had absolutely nothing due to rarity - that was a bug caused by corrupted map feature data resulting from generating a new world immediately after cancelling an embark in another world (specifically, browsing a world for sites created feature*.dat files in the "data/save/current/" folder, cancelling embark failed to delete them, and the next worldgen would incorporate them in the new region even though their elevation data and geology references were completely bogus).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.