Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarven Auto-Shotgun  (Read 31003 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Auto-Shotgun
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 03:59:12 pm »

To my eternal shame my dwarven ingenuity was outmatched by the clowns pure strength.
3500 trap components were fired and only 17 of them were killed, though several others were badly mutilated. I won't upload video of it because it's not that impressive.

What was that I just read. Did you just say the clowns outmatched us? Well, there's no use complaining about it. Build more shotguns. Use all sort of trap compartments. Use everything in your arsenal.
Fire them from all cardinal directions! Coat the walls with them! See my previous post!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Abysium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 05:23:39 pm »

okay, shooting objects, great! the only thing im unclear on is, can you shoot magma this way? would seem much easier to autoload

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 05:28:13 pm »

Make a hallway with HFS on one side and 3 shotguns at the other end, close it down to the public, open it up, pwn.

Same with caverns, close it down and fire when you hav an outbreak

I can actuly see this as a great method for farming large amounts of common animals (Crundles, Bugbats, and several others ), aswell as fort defence and HFS breaching, in a fairly easy way.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 06:12:31 pm »

okay, shooting objects, great! the only thing im unclear on is, can you shoot magma this way? would seem much easier to autoload

How about setting up two of these cannons pointed straight at each other; one with magma, the other with water? Anything standing in between would be clapped in a hellish explosion of steam, obsidian, and possibly even random cave-ins. It might just be the loudest and most wantonly destructive use of minecarts yet.

Unlike the relatively peaceful pump-based obsidianization weapons, this would be a True Obsidian Cannon.

UnHerpers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 07:31:39 pm »

It actually does shoot magma right now, any space left in the cart gets filled with magma. And if you removed the reloading station then it would fire magma constantly and be more of a machine gun, the problem with this is the way that magma acts when flying through the air, it's not a fluid when fired from a shotgun but an item of magma and only becomes fluid when it hits the ground. The other problem is that it only gets 2/7 of magma per cart though this can be made up with more carts. And anyway we have other ways of covering our enemies in magma.

@Funburns as I mentioned magma (and I assume water) fired from a shotgun isn't liquid until it stops moving so your idea (I thought about it too) wouldn't work as great as you are thinking, it would just have small puddles of water and magma, and when they met it would form obsidian. A better design would be a pit filled 4/7 with water that makes the main entrance to your fort, then you fire magma at it and anywhere that the magma lands would become obsidian.

To those of you calling me to make more auto-shotguns it takes forever to make the ammo, I have 15 magma glass furnaces being worked all day every day and it still takes ages to get a single cart loaded.

By the way I just added to the OP
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:12:30 pm by UnHerpers »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 07:53:52 pm »

You need something for ammo that can be created more quickly. One thing that comes to mind is kittens. Sure, they seem soft and cuddly, but have you ever had one thrown at you? They're suddenly all pointy when they are in flight.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 07:57:34 pm »

You need something for ammo that can be created more quickly. One thing that comes to mind is kittens. Sure, they seem soft and cuddly, but have you ever had one thrown at you? They're suddenly all pointy when they are in flight.
They probably don't enjoy being fired out of a shotgun.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 08:04:25 pm »

They might be excited by the flight, but they don't enjoy the landing.

I can verify that with a double shotgun, you can eject the contents of cages in a spray: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=109460.msg3340230#msg3340230

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 12:58:46 am »

They might be excited by the flight, but they don't enjoy the landing.

I can verify that with a double shotgun, you can eject the contents of cages in a spray: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=109460.msg3340230#msg3340230

200 cornered goblin soldiers/zombies/thralls/war grizzlies vs HFS?  ;D
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 06:56:15 am »

So I've been improving it now, changing the wide open target area to a thin long corridor, and loading it with menacing spikes rather than serrated discs, however spikes weigh as much as two discs ending up with a rather flaccid 310~ trap components per cart. On the other hand I'm now loading the minecarts 100% and there are eight of them.
Then I put it up against the circus.
To my eternal shame my dwarven ingenuity was outmatched by the clowns pure strength.
3500 trap components were fired and only 17 of them were killed, though several others were badly mutilated. I won't upload video of it because it's not that impressive.
Instead this.

this is the most awesome weapon system i've ever seen in DF

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 07:37:15 am »

This is the dwarfiest thing I've seen in years! Awesome work of excessive brutality!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 09:59:29 am »

I think some of them survived.
I think you might have more luck with steel rather than glass, but i could be wrong Good luck making 3500 -steel spear-s.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 12:55:26 pm »

So here's a question:  An earlier post in a thread about falling damage indicated that if you drop 100 socks on someone they go unconscious.

1. Do shotgunned items cause the same issue?
2. Could you load the first few mine carts with a dwarfy number of very light objects to make all those in the path of death fall asleep?
3. Would these sleeping victims then be more susceptible to the onslaught of hard items filling up the rest of the magazine?

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2012, 01:01:47 pm »

So they shoot Magma?  And it's not effective?  Wouldn't a machine gun be more effective then having a limited magazine of carts, plus of course the burning?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2012, 02:19:11 pm »

Well done. You convinced me to try the minecart system at last  :D
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5