Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you use ASCII or Graphical Tilesets?

ASCII Tilesets
Graphic Tilesets (Phoebus, Ironhand, etc.)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ASCII or Tilesets?  (Read 3830 times)

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
ASCII or Tilesets?
« on: June 11, 2012, 02:54:45 am »

I've decided to start a poll to try and find out how many people use ASCII and how many use Tilesets.

What do you use, ASCII (ascii-like tilesets count as ascii, obviously) or Graphical Tilesets?

I personally like Phoebus Tileset the most, because it's much more visually appealing and I don't have to focus to "decode" any of the objects.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:02:24 am by Kiberkiller »
I could be wrong.  What would you call it when you spend that much time obsessing over something that it turns out you don't even like?
Relationships?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ASCII or Tilesets?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 02:57:55 am »

It's not truly ASCII, but I use the basic look, with some colors changed as the only modification.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 03:24:30 am »

curse_square_16x16.png

Tilesets are too hard to determine what I'm looking at when zoomed out. And I like how this thread comes up almost daily.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 07:50:23 am »

This may have been done before once or twice. A week.
:)

ASCII. Characters were carefully chosen to be distinguishable at small size, and Toady is using them excellently which imo is cuter than custom-made tilesets.
I make some concessions to eyestrain though: smoother characters, softer contrasts, warmer colours.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 08:06:48 am »

It might be less confusing if you rename the voting options in ASCII-like tilesets and Graphic Packs. After all, everyone uses a tileset. Well except maybe 4 or 5 people that pray through a terminal emulator.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 09:18:04 am »

… on a direct line to God? :)

Rudefire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 09:44:48 am »

I use vherid's tileset. its very true the ASCII pack, but it is square, which I love, and the colors are very enjoyable. on top of this, he has made a few tweaks to clean up the ASCII, so that some of the originals that are a little confusing are a little easier to discern.

Xenxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 09:54:18 am »

I used to be pure ASCII or bust. But ever since Jolly Bastion I can't play dwarf fortress without it.

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 01:09:54 pm »

It might be less confusing if you rename the voting options in ASCII-like tilesets and Graphic Packs. After all, everyone uses a tileset. Well except maybe 4 or 5 people that pray through a terminal emulator.

Changed.
I could be wrong.  What would you call it when you spend that much time obsessing over something that it turns out you don't even like?
Relationships?

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 01:10:46 pm »

I used to be pure ASCII or bust. But ever since Jolly Bastion I can't play dwarf fortress without it.

Jolly Bastion actually looks very good, even for someone like me, who always uses a graphics tileset. I have to try it sometime.
Relationships?

Logic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 03:40:41 pm »

I use ASCII, simply because DF updated one day, Ironhand's wasn't updated, and I was forced to use ASCII.

Never looked back.

Kastrol Aslaasri

• Bay Watcher
  • Endut! Hoch Hech!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 03:46:11 pm »

I use square ASCII, and changed colors.
She was also sad that her father's corpse was rotting in his bedroom, but that's a minor inconvenience.
I love this game so much.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 04:00:48 pm »

ASCII. I can understand it very clearly, so what's the point of picking a tileset?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 04:38:53 pm »

I can use ascii but i find it far easier using titlesets... especially when it comes to searching for cuttable trees and wild plants to collect. Those things are barely visible when all you can see is a mess of ascii grass on the surface.

Ascii gets more bearable once underground and actually looks kinda pretty with smoothed walls.

But surface? Bleh.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 04:51:56 pm »

So where would people like me fall, who use what I am going to call (with a straight face and no ulterior motives) half-ASCII tilesets? I don't have any creature graphics packs, but my custom tileset has accented characters removed to allow more tiles for things like actual tree-looking trees without messing up text too badly.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin
Pages: [1] 2