Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taming siege mounts  (Read 8760 times)

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Taming siege mounts
« on: June 11, 2012, 08:35:26 pm »

Some interesting things happened. I caged some war elk birds and war giant olms, and trained them. After initial training, they reverted to wild and lost their war training as well, returning them to status as regular joes. After another round of training and reverting, they seem to have dropped off of the animal tab entirely, and are now hanging out in the "Other" classification. What am I looking at here? Is there any effective way to tame exotic siege mounts, or is it impossible?
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
Re: Taming siege mounts
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 09:25:40 pm »

If I'm correct, when an animal reverts to wild status it moves from the "Pets/Livestock" tab to the "Others" one, meaning that it is a wild animal that can wander off the edge of the map if not restrained. From the information in the Wiki, I know that exotic animals are harder to train and to keep tame afterwards, that they "will slowly revert to their wild origins over time and must have a trainer permanently assigned", and that your best bet is to have them breed since they inherit their mother's training status and, if trained when young, can ultimately become "Domesticated", aka forever tame.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:33:49 pm »

I know, I've read the literature. I need to do some science here.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:36:05 pm »

Captured war mounts can be trained, but they will, regardless of training level, remain hostile to your civilization and will, if released from bondage, attack your units without mercy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:50:14 am »

^
this
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 08:22:45 am »

Even worse - I released some "tamed" captured mounts. I set my military squad to clean them up with a direct kill order, but somehow this led to the squad members being considered as fortress enemies or something, as they started indiscriminately killing dwarves and pets. It went as far as other dwarves cancelling their jobs: interrupted by military.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 08:30:14 am »

Captured war mounts can be trained, but they will, regardless of training level, remain hostile to your civilization and will, if released from bondage, attack your units without mercy.
That's funny, Toady said that wasn't supposed to happen anymore...

Quote from: Toady One, 03/10/2012
Let's see... finished the jobs from the last log, and messed with how the semi-wild animals lash out. When your dwarf caravan leaves, your civ now picks up a small portion of what you have learned about animal training for future forts. I think that problem where tamed animals with dwarf kills still attack you is fixed, but I have to test it, and I also have to check out animals you receive in trade. Various little tests.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 09:27:21 am »

That's funny, Toady said that wasn't supposed to happen anymore...

Quote from: Toady One, 03/10/2012
Let's see... finished the jobs from the last log, and messed with how the semi-wild animals lash out. When your dwarf caravan leaves, your civ now picks up a small portion of what you have learned about animal training for future forts. I think that problem where tamed animals with dwarf kills still attack you is fixed, but I have to test it, and I also have to check out animals you receive in trade. Various little tests.
I think you just highlighted the major problem here - "with dwarf kills". Most war animals that get captured don't have dwarf kills yet.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 10:36:19 am »

It's possible that the problem here isn't that the animal has dwarf kills, but that it's a member of a hostile entity.