Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quote file too big  (Read 1475 times)

theTrueMikeBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TheTrueMikeBrown's patreon page
Quote file too big
« on: August 09, 2012, 09:41:17 am »

I was just adding a few quotes to my quote file and as I did, I decided to see how many quotes was in it.

I am now over 1500

I was wondering: How many people here have a quote file, and how do you organize it? I keep one version where I try to annotate everything (which is my master copy), and one version that is cleaned up for public consumption. The only uses I have discovered for it is to give me a 'everything is normal' google talk status message, and to pull a random quote to adorn the top of my website (sort of like a gnomic utterance at the top of a chapter of a fantasy book).
What puts the "ape" in apricot?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Quote file too big
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 11:28:32 am »

What's a quote file?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

theTrueMikeBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 02:25:43 pm »

It is a text file that contains quotes that I have collected (either I heard them, read them, or said them) over the years.

I collected them because I like them - sometimes something that is said to me catches my fancy and I want to write it down.

I suppose that they are not entirely common, but I know that some people keep them (there wouldn't be books of quotations (or the bash fortune program for that matter) otherwise).

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 10:25:57 pm »

I have a quote file, and it is organized by ctrl-F.  Seriously.  Every quote is in there because I know I'll want it again, and so I just search for what I can remember, e.g., "the mice are laughing at us," "academia, here I come," "British chocolate," "thinking makes it so," and so on.

This may seem impractical, for surely I cannot remember even a scrap of everything.  But then, because I enjoy every single quote, I go back and reread at random.  E.g., "Not granting me the Nobel Prize has become a scandinavian tradition; since i was born -August 24, 1899- they have not been granting it to me" (Jorge Luis Borges).

I dunno how many quotes are in it.  It's over 50 pages in Word right now, so that can't be as big as what you're describing.

--Rexfelum
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:28:18 pm by Rexfelum »

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 10:40:30 pm »

Ah! You crashed Internet Explorer.

EDIT: Great, now I have to make one.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:42:43 pm by NobodyPro »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 10:47:11 pm »

I have one, it's called "TvTropes".
;)

theTrueMikeBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 12:07:20 pm »

@Rexfelum - you have me beat in terms of length, though - Mine is just barely 36 pages (I linked it in the original post, for those who didn't see). Love the Bourges quote, btw - it is now in my file.

@NobodyPro - If I actually got you to make a quote file, I left the world a slightly better place.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 12:18:49 pm »

Does anyone here remember Hungry? I have a file of quotes from him specifically, mostly from IRC, for use in an IRC bot.

http://pastebin.ca/2179012

They're just separated by newlines, so it's not very pretty here.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==