Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another 8x8 font, huzzah!  (Read 10556 times)

tejón

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Another 8x8 font, huzzah!
« on: June 12, 2012, 01:37:25 am »

Wiki won't let me register but I wanted to share so what the heck. Not sure if this is the right subforum, but close enough, right?

100% ASCII. I call it Pastiche because it's a mix-and-match of characters from the CGA, Acorn and C64 fonts from the wiki. A few characters were edited and dozens were adjusted left or right by a pixel or two so they all align nicely on the map.

And now I should probably sleep. :(

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another 8x8 font, huzzah!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:07:05 am »

Looks neat! I'll have to play with it for a while. I like the sun in particular, and it's nice to see another proper ASCII set around.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:09:27 am by Taffer »

tejón

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another 8x8 font, huzzah!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 08:52:16 pm »

Sun's straight from the CGA set. :)

I wasn't satisfied with the way commas and apostrophes look when clustered up together, as they frequently are in certain map areas. Moving the apostrophe over one pixel (which I should have already done according to my alignment rules) helped break them up visually, but it occurred to me that they should probably have differentiation of form as well, in case there's some situation where it's important to know which one you're looking at without a lot of nearby context to quickly nail down its vertical position. The Acorn and C64 fonts both use angular straight quotes, but those weren't really satisfying either... looked too much like slashes. On a whim, I decided to check which form is used by the Windows Fixedsys font. Apostrophe is an uninspired vertical tick, but the backquote is a glorious hybrid of the CGA and Acorn/C64 forms! I have embraced it wholeheartedly; image updated above.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:54:28 pm by tejón »