Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lazy man's cheat sheet  (Read 8670 times)

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
Lazy man's cheat sheet
« on: July 20, 2012, 10:51:33 am »

I made this "cheat sheet" a year ago with pen+paper but I was bored today so I wrote it up with mspaint.  It's mostly to help with making stockpiles; I got tired of cruising around the same 5 or 6 pages on the wiki every time I started on a new fortress.  I've got another sheet for smelting recipes, I'll make it sometime if there's enough positive feed back (I don't really need it for myself anymore)

I've always wanted to make one for soap and other things, but it's just too friggin' complicated.

I know it's not that slick, I didn't care too much about making it pretty.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy man's cheat sheet
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 11:44:38 am »

This could prove really useful. Thanks.

For soap wouldn't it be butcher a elf kobold goblin some nonsentient (not unintelligent) creature, then use tallow and lye for a bar of soap (getting the subcomponents would be covered in other workshops). You could use rocknut oil but I tend to create a farm and butcher baby animals (mostly blind cave bear cubs), unlimited bolts and the bear population is kept under control.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 11:48:36 am »

This would have been great when I started. Now I have it all memorized. Maybe I play too much...

fallenphoenix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 04:22:54 pm »

This would have been great when I started. Now I have it all memorized. Maybe I play too much...

Same here, though whenever I think I've been playing too much, I just play whatever mindless FPS rehash is most recent and then realize how much better DF is for my mental faculty.

dhoovr

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 04:56:38 pm »

Thanks man, this is a pretty helpful sheet. The computer I play DF on has pretty bad internet connection so it's great to not have to pull up the wiki for these basic and easily forgettable nuances.
I don't need the soap industry; I already memorized it after spending like 3 hours trying to get a constant supply of soap (which I then forgot to keep managed). But, just as a note, there are diagrams of each industry on the wiki page (which I never thought to save to my computer) so there isn't much need for that kindof stuff. But for the stuff scattered across multiple pages (like the ores and plant purposes stuff you included), that's cool.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 09:12:45 pm »

I can see use in this - though in my case I would be using it to make a tutorial let's play :P
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 11:40:28 pm »

There are some error's here. You can brew silver barb, for one. It makes really bad alchohol, but that's not the point.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 01:01:05 am »

Nice! I think it might also be helpful to include what stones can make plaster, too, like gypsum, alabaster, etc.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 12:00:56 am »

Great cheat sheet. Although aren't the dyes also milled though?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 07:10:05 am »

This will prove very useful indeed. Thanks!

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 08:20:22 am »

Splendid! I should do something similiar because I still routinely check the wiki every time I need to remember what the flux stones are. In my latest fort with a giant pump stack, magma safe materials would be the second most listworthy thing.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 08:49:57 am »

Don't mind if I do..

It'll be quicker than opening up the wiki every 5 seconds of glassmaking and farming.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 11:26:52 am »

Could be useful.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 11:44:50 am »

The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 12:03:04 pm »

If I'd made it a flawless technical document it would have been much bigger and kind of cumbersome and defeated the point. Glad there are some who are getting use out of it! Might make smelting recipes and other stone uses (plaster etc) in the next couple days but I've been too busy.