Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bodyguards, Vampires, and Noise  (Read 2501 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bodyguards, Vampires, and Noise
« on: July 23, 2012, 10:01:19 pm »

I'm considering letting my dwarves figure out who the vampire is in my fort, as I'd like to see the whole accusation/counter-accusation thing in play.  I'm going to scrap the single rooms and house most of my dwarves in big communal dorms.  However, my baron is currently miserable and insists on his own luxurious room.  Would it be possible to rotate two guards stationed in his room at all times *and* have them spar without waking him up?  Or would that make too much noise?  I was going to rotate my squads with a month of simple burrow guard duty, but I'd prefer sparring/training.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: Bodyguards, Vampires, and Noise
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 10:21:04 pm »

If I'm correct dwarves can't be woken up by noise, they just get a bad thought from noise while they sleep.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 10:26:24 pm »

Sparring does not cause noise according to the wiki, and from experience I would say that's correct.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 11:09:26 pm »

If witnessed by training militia members, will the vampire be attacked immediately?  I remember reading somewhere that bloodsucking isn't seen as a hostile action by pets, like war dogs, but what about actual military dwarves?  Also, is an attack instant, or is it possible to interrupt a feeding and save a life?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 11:37:53 pm »

If witnessed by training militia members, will the vampire be attacked immediately?  I remember reading somewhere that bloodsucking isn't seen as a hostile action by pets, like war dogs, but what about actual military dwarves?  Also, is an attack instant, or is it possible to interrupt a feeding and save a life?
By deconstructing the bed, and that alone.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 09:56:15 am »

One option is this:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112216.0

Which is a big open multi-level area with bedrooms that have glass windows looking out into the open area.  I usually put my dining room at the bottom of the area.  You could probably use fortifications instead of glass windows.

(Not yet confirmed that this will catch vampires.  But it should satisfy the visibility issue.)

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 10:35:25 am »

What will happen is that dwarves walking by may witness the vampire and then throw accussation to the captain of the guard/Sheriff.

Something is wrong though. I was under the impression that hammerstrikes should be dealt out by my hammerer, not the captain...........

I..... had an unofficial series of test, when my vampire got loose. He immediately began a blood rampage, feeding rapidly on multiple children. I... not sure if the game tracks how much blood a vampire obtains, but it appears that its much faster to drain a dwarven child of blood than a tough adult dwarf........ I'm not sure how to run a test when a weak dwarf feeds the vampire instead.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 11:32:49 am »

I..... had an unofficial series of test, when my vampire got loose. He immediately began a blood rampage, feeding rapidly on multiple children. I... not sure if the game tracks how much blood a vampire obtains, but it appears that its much faster to drain a dwarven child of blood than a tough adult dwarf........ I'm not sure how to run a test when a weak dwarf feeds the vampire instead.
It tracks the amount of blood in a creature and how hungry a vampire is. There have been cases of vampires that fed regularly sometimes leaving pale survivors. Smaller creatures have less blood, so it would make sense that the vampire required more children to feed on.

Theoretically, if you could find a hydra and keep it permanently unconscious...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 11:44:14 am »

It tracks the amount of blood in a creature and how hungry a vampire is. There have been cases of vampires that fed regularly sometimes leaving pale survivors. Smaller creatures have less blood, so it would make sense that the vampire required more children to feed on.

Theoretically, if you could find a hydra and keep it permanently unconscious...
Pray for FBs? Get it a ticket to the circus? But that would endanger the vampires... Might try dropping pigs a few z-levels, injuring them. Or Crocodiles. Croocodiles are always fun.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 04:22:45 pm »

As far as I know, the vampires can drink blood only from sentient beings. They are night creatures, not carnivores!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 04:24:57 pm »

It's been reported that sleeping or unconscious animals (from syndromes, cave-ins, etc.) can also be drained.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 04:35:01 pm »

It's been reported that sleeping or unconscious animals (from syndromes, cave-ins, etc.) can also be drained.
Yep.