Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cancels Plant Seeds: Needs plump helmet spawn.  (Read 26065 times)

WhatDoesThisLeverDo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cancels Plant Seeds: Needs plump helmet spawn.
« on: June 12, 2012, 04:03:40 pm »

I'm getting spammed by this message although I have over 300 seeds in stock, according to my stocks screen. I don't have huge plots of farm either. Ideas?

edit:

Oops. I think all ~300 seeds were in one barrel, so every time a dwarf picked it up, the rest became inaccesible. I dropped the number of seeds per barrel in the stockpile down to 50, I don't think I'm getting the issue anymore. I'll check back later.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 04:12:10 pm by WhatDoesThisLeverDo »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Cancels Plant Seeds: Needs plump helmet spawn.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 04:28:27 pm »

Shouldn't seeds cap at 200?

nttea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 04:29:47 pm »

for every specific kind of seed, but i assume he meant 300 were his total number of seeds, not only plump helmet spawn.

WhatDoesThisLeverDo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 04:31:08 pm »

Yes I have 200 plump seeds, but I'm still getting endlessly spammed by the message after the change. It's really annoying.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 04:53:42 pm »

For your seed stockpiles, barrels allowed == 0.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Hateweaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 05:21:00 pm »

Doing that - you'll have to have some huge stockpiles or you'll have seeds laying around everywhere.

Maybe do a central stockpile for all seeds with barrels, then a second stockpile for just plump helmet spawn with zero barrels set to pull from the central stockpile.  That second stockpile can be small and located right next to the farm.

What *should* happen is for pickup up seeds all over the fort, is a dwarf goes to stockpile one, gets a barrel, hauls it to the seed, puts the seed in, hauls it back to stockpile 1, and then picks up the seed from barrel and takes it to stockpile 2 (if there is space there).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 05:22:06 pm »

Vermin will nom all of your seeds

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 05:29:53 pm »

Vermin are why you have cats.

What's a "huge" stockpile?  I normally farm in a 9x9 space with three 3x9 plots, but I dig the room out 10x10 and have the extra space along the edges near the door be a seed stockpile.  Is that a huge stockpile?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 05:38:26 pm »

Doing that - you'll have to have some huge stockpiles or you'll have seeds laying around everywhere.

What I used to have is a bunch of two-tile seed stockpiles, each stockpile set up to only accept one type of seed. Eventually each stockpile tile will contain one bag, with each bag containing 100 seeds.

Hateweaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 05:51:13 pm »

Do bags not have the same issues as barrels? IE: They aren't carried around the fort to pick up stuff?

WhatDoesThisLeverDo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 05:59:38 pm »

I seem to recall never having this issue in 40d. Is this some new complication?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 06:02:02 pm »

It's part of the recent hauling updates.  Now when somebody wants to pick something up that could go into a container, they'll tend to grab a container already holding items of that type, run it out to the item, put the item in the container, then put the container back in the stockpile.  This can be problematic with especially heavy containers (slow and time-consuming to lug around), or with stockpiles that have fast frequent turnover, because if somebody wants to do a job, decides on an item in a container, and a hauler runs off with that container (and the item), the job gets canceled.

With farms it's not so bad because they're automated, though the job cancel spam can be annoying.  For something like a still or a kitchen where a canceled job isn't replaced, it can be a big problem.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:03:34 pm by weenog »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 06:08:01 pm »

Do bags not have the same issues as barrels? IE: They aren't carried around the fort to pick up stuff?
They will be carried around to pick stuff up.  The issue I ran into with 34.07+ is they decide to put seeds in the stockpile, so they get a bag from the seed barrel, and go pick up seeds - all good so far.  Then, after picking up the last seed, they drop the bag where that seed was and go fetch the barrel so they can put the bag in it.  Then, once the bag has been put in the barrel, they return the barrel to the seed stockpile.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 06:20:03 pm »

Vermin are why you ONE CAT.

FTFY, let's not get over ourselves, we're not on reddit.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 06:35:12 pm »

Vermin are why you ONE CAT.

FTFY, let's not get over ourselves, we're not on reddit.

I prefer to go 2-3, all males.  Keeps them from breeding until someone brings a pet, and even then it won't be much.  But I don't lose pest control if a thief gets noticed and guts one.

Pages: [1] 2