Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cancels Plant Seeds: Needs plump helmet spawn.  (Read 26038 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Cancels Plant Seeds: Needs plump helmet spawn.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 09:32:34 pm »

Do bags not have the same issues as barrels? IE: They aren't carried around the fort to pick up stuff?
They will be carried around to pick stuff up.  The issue I ran into with 34.07+ is they decide to put seeds in the stockpile, so they get a bag from the seed barrel, and go pick up seeds - all good so far.  Then, after picking up the last seed, they drop the bag where that seed was and go fetch the barrel so they can put the bag in it.  Then, once the bag has been put in the barrel, they return the barrel to the seed stockpile.
I also find it annoying when a dwarf harvests some plants and leaves them in the fields to grab a barrel. Or when they grab a whole seed barrel for a whole seed. Or when they leave some nice whip vines outside to run inside to grab a plant barrel to store the vines in. Basically, while the "hauling containers to grab lots of items at once" thing is a good idea, we have only single items commonly enough to make that as much an irritant as a positive.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 10:22:10 am »

I also find it annoying when a dwarf harvests some plants and leaves them in the fields to grab a barrel. Or when they grab a whole seed barrel for a whole seed. Or when they leave some nice whip vines outside to run inside to grab a plant barrel to store the vines in. Basically, while the "hauling containers to grab lots of items at once" thing is a good idea, we have only single items commonly enough to make that as much an irritant as a positive.

I now setup a 1x1 stockpile, no barrels, of the seed type being used in the farm plot next to it.  I will also setup other small stockpiles for seeds deeper into the fortress, but again - they don't allow barrels there either.

I also setup a 2x5 or 3x5 stockpile nearby, no barrels, of the plant types being grown.  That way, when the harvesters come and get the plant, they just carry it to the nearby stockpile without looking for a barrel.

Next to that stockpile, I setup a 2nd stockpile which uses barrels and takes from the first stockpile.  Set it so that it "only takes from links".  You can set that stockpile to accept all plant types.  So now the barrels only have to move about 3 paces to be filled from the "harvest" stockpile.

Then, any other stockpiles which need to use plants will take from the barreled plant storage stockpile.

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 01:35:45 pm »

Any other suggestions to stop the spam?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 06:45:03 pm »

Import cloth and have your dorfs eat meat.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 01:41:01 pm »

How about this set-up? 

2 asymmetrical, adjacent stockpiles with the appropriate containers enabled for both.
The larger workshop is for workshop/farm feeding, while the smaller stockpile is for gathering. 
The larger is set to only take from the smaller stockpile. The smaller stockpile is set to gather from anywhere.

If all goes well, the containers on the smaller stockpile will be used for the merry embark-wide journeys that haulers love to take.  The containers that actually feed the workshops/farms should remain where they are, since they're set to only take items from the gathering stockpile, which is empty while haulers are off on their collection fest.  When the haulers return to the stockpile, the newly filled container should immediately queue up a hauling job for transfer to the main stockpile next to it.  If we're lucky and there's an empty space in the larger stockpile, the entire container might be moved over in one go.  Otherwise, one container from the larger stockpile will be used to transfer goods, but it should be quick, since the stockpiles are adjacent.  This should remove a lot of the cancel spam, and still allow dwarves to efficiently gather items without carrying precious items outside the fort in their collection container.  Since the workshop/farm feeding stockpile is larger, it should keep the containers in the smaller empty after each hauling spree and ready for the next.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:48:46 pm by VerdantSF »
Pages: 1 [2]