Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Unfitting fortress names  (Read 5358 times)

isometrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unfitting fortress names
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 08:50:42 am »

I'm still proud of coming up with Basementdwellings, colonized by The Fellowship Of Virginity.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 09:03:44 am »

I'm still proud of coming up with Basementdwellings, colonized by The Fellowship Of Virginity.

Did you give all your dwarves computers, chips, cola and a MMORPG?
(a>b) ? false : true

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 09:59:47 am »

My fortress is called...

Helmsdeep,
now i just need to mod in orks, and wait for a really big invasin
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

WriterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 10:59:11 am »

My fortress is called...

Helmsdeep,
now i just need to mod in orks, and wait for a really big invasin

Well, you could still end up with some unknown Forgotten Beast that will look a lot like those things the Ring Wraiths rode. Heck, it would be an epic end for your fort.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 12:23:50 pm »

Did you give all your dwarves computers, chips, cola and a MMORPG?

Sig'd

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 01:46:43 pm »

I had goldsnow (rand)... in a desert with no gold.
I spent the rest of the game after a dwarf who liked polar bears of worshiped a snow god to make statues from all the gold I imported.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 02:01:34 pm »

(also anyone know how i could change my forts name post-embark?)
Go into language_words.txt and change the lowercase text in [WORD:SILVER] to gold, golds, and golden respectively. Then, just to tidy everything up, go into [WORD:GOLD] and change that one to read silver, silvers, and silvery. The game doesn't quite treat the two words identically so it's not an identical swap, but it's close enough.

This won't change the dwarven name of the fortress. To do that you need to go into language_DWARF.txt and swap the positions of 'limul' and 'ral'.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 02:51:18 pm »

I genned a test fort a few months ago that was named Locunlokum which looked pretty silly.  But it means "Risenspears" which sounds pretty badass, so I used it for my next serious fort.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Rage Machine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 03:01:54 pm »

so is there any way for me to change my fort name?

i dont care if i have to cheat or open up the game code but surely its saved somewhere so somewhere i must be able to change it.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 03:03:49 pm »

so is there any way for me to change my fort name?

i dont care if i have to cheat or open up the game code but surely its saved somewhere so somewhere i must be able to change it.

(also anyone know how i could change my forts name post-embark?)
Go into language_words.txt and change the lowercase text in [WORD:SILVER] to gold, golds, and golden respectively. Then, just to tidy everything up, go into [WORD:GOLD] and change that one to read silver, silvers, and silvery. The game doesn't quite treat the two words identically so it's not an identical swap, but it's close enough.

This won't change the dwarven name of the fortress. To do that you need to go into language_DWARF.txt and swap the positions of 'limul' and 'ral'.

Muddy Mudstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 03:34:35 pm »

Won't this create a fort called Goldgate, surrounded by masses of a metal called "silver"?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 03:36:26 pm »

Won't this create a fort called Goldgate, surrounded by masses of a metal called "silver"?

The names for the metals are kept in their own respective material raws, so they stay the same no matter what language you use.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 05:01:55 pm »

Even ignoring the material raws, there are some metals dwarves don't have a name for. Those work fine without having any entries in the language files.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SirDifferential

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 09:33:20 pm »

QuietHills. It had a hill alright, but definitely wasn't quiet. Armok was quite pleased when we were done with the fortress.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 04:07:44 am »

Random name: Elderstrumpets.

No unusual behaviour in my older dwarfettes, at least none that I could observe.
And no trumpets either.
Pages: 1 [2]