Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

CKII - Broken Kingdoms

(1/5) > >>

Lord Dullard:
Hey, all. Coding for 12-14 hours a day is actually quite awesome, but at the end of the day I need something to do for a half an hour or an hour to let off steam and not go completely insane. I've decided to run a CKII play-along. I've played through the vanilla game enough times now that I want to try something different, so I've settled on the Broken Kingdoms mod, which strips all kingdoms (and empires) from the initial game.

Spoiler: The Broken Lands (click to show/hide)
I really like role-playing in games like this, and so I feel this unusual setup requires something of a back story:

Spoiler: The Fall of Man (click to show/hide)The age of darkness was retreating before the ever-growing strength of civilized Christianity. While the Christian world was still sharply divided, as a whole Europe was healthy, fertile, and thriving. The first hints of a greater conflict between the Christian world and the followers of the false god Allah were turning from a slow simmer to a boil, and there were murmurs among the higher echelons of Catholicism of a crusade for the holy lands. Within mere decades, Christianity would retake its holiest cities and drive back the hordes of evil.

But a darkness far more sinister than the threats to the east and south was about to descend on mankind. The first hints came as rumors of a terrible plague trickled in from far-flung African villages. Soon the 'singing sickness', so named because of the strange comatose sounds its victims would produce in their last few agonized days, had spread across all of Europe. The Muslims and pagans were no luckier than the Christian world. In the face of a disease that wiped out ninety percent of the population of every civilized settlement from Iberia to Ethiopia, no kingdom could keep order. The nobility fared far better than the peasantry, sealing themselves tight in their castles and waiting out the months of danger. But when they emerged, they found that their armies were as decimated as the empty villages and city streets, and many of those that had not died had deserted and fled in the face of certain death. While most of the kings - and even the Holy Roman Emperor - claimed to retain authority over their prior demesnes, in reality their de facto power was reduced to a shadow of its pre-plague status. Dukes - and even many counts - proclaimed independence, or didn't even bother; there were no troops coming to stop them from instituting their own rule now.

For the nobility of the 11th century, a veritable 'restart' button had been hit on the past thousand years of struggling and succession. It was now every-lord-for-himself in a destitute and impoverished Europe.

And that is where our story begins...
I will be playing as Herbert Karling, Count of Vermandois. Herbert's single county sits on the border of the former Holy Roman Empire and France. 'Major' powers in the region include Upper and Lower Lorraine to the north- and southeast, Flanders to the north, and Burgundy to the south.

Spoiler: The Beginning (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Herbert Karling (click to show/hide)

EuchreJack:
Hell yeah, go go last landed descendant of Charlemagne!  I love playing as that guy, even when I have to contend with the "false" King of France (as last landed descendant of Charlemagne, of course "I" should be the King of France) over my head.

You must follow your ancestors and restore the Holy Roman Empire!

NRDL:
Restore the HRE!  Simply because I have nothing better to suggest!

Can we get a screenie of the heir?  Also, are you on primogeniture? 

Lord Dullard:
I shall post screenies tonight! Attempting to restore the HRE sounds like a good long-term goal.

I don't have the game open at the moment, but I think we start out as primogeniture. I may switch it to elective simply because that's my favorite succession system, unless it seems more appropriate and !FUN! to keep it as primogeniture or gavelkind. I'll take any input on that decision before I play for an hour or so tonight, after I get all my work done.

Knave:
I say stick with primogeniture. I feel that elective is too gamey as it's too easy to keep enough voting titles and always ensure the ruler you want gets on the throne. This way it's a bit harder :P

Until you form the HRE that is :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version