Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: End the annoyingness of quests  (Read 3215 times)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: End the annoyingness of quests
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 02:16:48 pm »

As it stands now, that already happens. You don't get truly hard quests until your ready for them. Your not going to get a night creature quest as a peasant, but likewise, your unlikely to get a bandit quest as a legend.

If your too weak, when you ask about service, you will simply be turned away.

You can break this by asking about your surroundings, which is what you must do if your attempting an assassination.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 11:35:18 pm »

As it stands now, that already happens. You don't get truly hard quests until your ready for them. Your not going to get a night creature quest as a peasant, but likewise, your unlikely to get a bandit quest as a legend.

If your too weak, when you ask about service, you will simply be turned away.

You can break this by asking about your surroundings, which is what you must do if your attempting an assassination.

That's not what I've observed. I've gotten night creature quests first before... and other times just bandits.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 10:52:13 pm »

Perhaps the quest names could be procedurally generated, like:
The Endeavor of Forks
The Quest of Murder
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 10:02:30 am »

I've played 8 times as an orc starting in the same village (genesis mod) and every time I've got either the quest to kill the black bear (killed 1 of my adventurers and 2 were killed by bogeyman when traveling to him) to kill the southern bandits (1 was killed there) or to kill the northern bandits (2 were killed there and 2 were killed by bogeyman when travelling to them).
I'm wondering what quest I'll now get when I start again.

(as you can see I suck at adventure mode and I always start as demigod)

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 12:43:37 pm »

deserves to be necroed.  i really hate having quests to kill things in the sewers, i'd like to be able to hide them.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 01:23:09 pm »

Well...answering the OP's question, we can't decline quests because they don't do anything except let you know where the bad guys are. Quests need to be expanded to include rewards and risks (past being killed by whatever you're sent to kill, of course) before we add anything else to it. Otherwise, it would be like adding a gas pedal and windshield to a car without an engine.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 06:51:05 pm »

Also while you get some monologue from your target (usually, I find in my case, on up to three separate occasions in-between me sneaking into their lair and me having killed them outright whilst still, or barely out of, sneak-mode), and no doubt the megabeast enemies wouldn't be interested in talking, maybe some of the more mortal (but still dangerous) targets might want the opportunity to ask you to spare them, or even to reciprocate against those that sent you?

I'm not immediately thinking of the possibility of a bandit chief asking if you want to join ("...just bring back some spoils, and you've got a friend, a place to stay in the wilderness and I'll even loan you some of my best followers if you impress me..."), although that might work, but once the moral compass is somewhat degaussed by the leader of one civilisation having a (from their own POV) just and honourable vendetta against the leader or chattels of another civilisation (who, naturally, considers any Adventurer fulfilling such a mission to be a persona non-grata) then you get the intriguing possibility of whose agenda do you follow?  With the possibility[1] of it not being a mutually exclusive situation if you play your cards right, of course. ;)

Including non-combat missions, this might mean that you can start a courier mission, but actually deliver the valuable mcguffin (or a reasonable replacement?) to those who you were supposed to protect it from.  Your mapping mission can involve negotiating with a secretive (or boastful) leader of a given region that your maps under- (or over-)play their presence and military might for that particular territory.  Or come back with a picture of the situation that's somewhat made up ("there might have been a few more armament factories and not quite as many elephants").  These all presuppose that the game can recognise a variety of "win conditions", some honest and true (though not necessarily believed without proof[2]) and others with less than thorough or legitimate degrees of accomplishments (but which are sufficient when approaching a sufficiently credulous reportee).

Motives for that, though..?  I'm minded of the early GTA games where you had three 'factions' that you could perform missions for.  Killing Group A's footsoldiers makes you less liked with them, but gives you a higher standing with Group B.  Killing those representing Group B lowers rep with them but ups your friendliness with Group C.  And it wraps around so that dispatching Group C goons gets you back into the good books of Group A.  IIRC, higher amity with a group gave more missions (usually against the group you've just depleted all good will with, and who are more likely now to kill you on sight unless you've also been killing the successor group to make them angrier, and bring your footings with the predecessor/twice-successor group back to non-KOS status), and it's all a bit sort of Rock-Paper-Scissors in its strictness and adherence.

However, if reputation is no longer global (and positively polarised) but starts to be entity-specific (or on various levels, from entity to entity-groupings, according to the scope of the action) and capable of being reduced through "bad" decisions, or as a result of a contradictory fulfilment, then it could result in as complicated (or simple) a political juggling act as you think you might be able to handle.

[1] Hasn't there been talk, a year or two back, of being able to take different identities?  ISTR the idea that you might even get "Ah, hello Ranger Of Loneliness, would you please dispatch that despicable rogue The Pimpernel Of Scarlet, who has been raiding our towns in the name of Otherkingdom, we don't know where he is now, but he was last seen at...", when you actually don't need your Tracking skill at all because (with a different hat and rather particular sword) you were The Pimpernel, and next time you go to Otherkingdom in that guise you're as likely to be asked to pursue that dastardly Ranger guy, who has been troubling Otherkingdom's honest citizens...

[2] I always think it's rather silly having the "Hey, I killed that monster someone else was talking about" conversation with a third party, for her to reply "Oh great! What? No, I don't need to see its decapitated head for proof, I'll take your word for it... hang on a moment..." <telepathically informs everyone else in the world that you're even more of a hero than before> "...now, if you'll kill this bandit that's been troubling us? You know the score.  Just tell someone that you've succeeded...  Anybody friendly...  Yup, and we'll give you the credit if you found him dead, as well..."
Pages: 1 [2]