Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Chimera  (Read 6914 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Chimera
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 05:58:05 pm »

Does the chimera have eyes and lungs?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 06:04:40 pm »

Do your heads actually have the correct head stuff needed for the brain to work? It sounds like a brain issue to me.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 06:05:55 pm »

BODY:CHIMERA:2HEADNECKS:TAIL:2EYES:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:4TOES_FQ_REG:4TOES_RQ_REG:MOUTH:TONGUE:GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_FANGS:RIBCAGE:HEAD_HORN:EYELIDS:CHEEKS:2WINGS]

this is from your spoilered post of it, You are missing a "[" at the start

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 10:36:19 pm »

Good catch Hugo, thanks!

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 12:47:48 am »

Final version released and updated the OP. Change log is pretty minor, but updated body parts to give the Chimera it's own version and type, added a serpent tail with bite attack, and other misc aesthetic changes. If you have any suggestions, concerns, or questions feel free to post them here.

Enjoy!

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 02:15:58 pm »

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering where you were basing your Chimera off of?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 04:53:43 pm »

It sounds a lot like the original, mythical chimera to me. Maybe it should have goatlike hooves?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 06:17:32 pm »

It sounds a lot like the original, mythical chimera to me. Maybe it should have goatlike hooves?

Except the original didn't have wings (or hooves). Was just curious really, I like to see where people get their myths from.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 07:53:24 pm »

Why do I imagin Chimera's as this?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 07:59:51 pm »

Because in almost all video games and modern appearances, that is the standard.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 08:06:54 pm »

Except the original didn't have wings (or hooves). Was just curious really, I like to see where people get their myths from.

I missed the wings, and thought the original had hooves. I guess it varies on where you get your tellings of Greek mytholoy from.
Sig

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 08:10:31 pm »

True, although the oldest known depictions are hoof-less, but like all mythological creatures I don't really believe there is a "right" or "wrong" only new imaginations retelling stories.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 10:00:00 pm »

Well Chimera is a term for something that is made up of many things right? So really a Human and a horse (centaur) would count as a Chimera would it not? or must if have many heads as well?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 10:05:16 pm »

Well Chimera is a term for something that is made up of many things right? So really a Human and a horse (centaur) would count as a Chimera would it not? or must if have many heads as well?

Two different types of Chimera, one is the mythological beast. The other is a genetics term of a single organism having genetically distinct cells from two or more zygotes (fancy way of saying that it was made with two eggs or two sperm that fused together and so if you do a DNA test on different parts of the body you could find different DNA, although since in animal reproduction it all still occurs from the parents you aren't going to find dramitically different DNA sequences in one animal, can also apply to plants, viruses, and pretty much anything else that is made up of DNA)

And technically there is the third type, Mount Chimaera, which is believed to be the origin of the myth, although that is debated.

Edit: It's also worth noting that D&D Chimera's do have wings and they have hooves on the back legs (front body Lion, back body Goat) And in D&D it was the snake (which they depict as a dragon's head) that breathed the fire (or other breath attack depending on the type of dragon's head)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:11:09 pm by Roses »

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 11:52:49 pm »

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering where you were basing your Chimera off of?

Loosely based off this bad boy:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRSKMUF1PU8
Pages: 1 [2]