Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A catsplosion of the different kind.  (Read 3085 times)

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A catsplosion of the different kind.
« on: June 15, 2012, 03:49:26 pm »

And this time, I'm telling it as a greentext story. Just because I'm bored.

>No-migrant fort
>Low dwarfpower and few dwarves to spare for army
>Train lots of war animals to make up for small army
>Elven caravan shows up with a breeding pair of cheetahs
>Train them as war animals and get them to breed
>War dogs making fort too crowded, cage them all away
>War cheetah numbers increasing, they are attacking goblins 30 to 7
>Feelsgoodman.jpg

But now I have too many cheetahs and assigning all of them to pastures makes unnecessary work for my dwarves when they break free. I only have 13 dwarves so that makes me lose A LOT of dwarfpower, especially when they see goblins or trade caravans pass through the pasture. My dwarves have to haul them back to it, wasting lots of time.

What do? Is there another way that doesn't include caging them or killing them?

Edit: And I believe I might have the same problems with lions in a few years. Thoght it'd be worth mentioning...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 03:55:08 pm by Yovatsap »

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A catsplosion of the different kind.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 04:00:38 pm »

Use chains instead of pastures?
(a>b) ? false : true

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 04:03:42 pm »

Could I assign multiple animals to a single chain? If so, would they fight each other from the lack of space? Would they attack hostiles? Would they be able to chase hostiles?

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 04:06:00 pm »

They would not be able to chase.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 04:10:15 pm »

They would not be able to chase.
Hmm... I guess that wouldn't be too much of a problem. But my other questions still stand.
Could I assign multiple animals to a single chain? If so, would they fight each other from the lack of space?

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 04:11:29 pm »

1 Could I assign multiple animals to a single chain?
2 If so, would they fight each other from the lack of space?
3 Would they attack hostiles?
4 Would they be able to chase hostiles?

1,2,4: No
3: Yes
A chain allows a creature to move in a 3x3 square with the chain in the centre. You can place multiple chains next to each other - although I can't say for sure how heavily that would lead to fighting between the animals.
Another possibility would be to use retracting bridges to drop the enemies into cheetah pits.

whale_biologist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 04:18:57 pm »

cheetah pits.

you just said two of my favorite words

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 06:21:10 pm »

Can't you put them all into cages and then pull a lever to "RELEASE THE HOUNDSCHEETAHS" when invaders come?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 01:56:23 am »

Can't you put them all into cages and then pull a lever to "RELEASE THE HOUNDSCHEETAHS" when invaders come?
I could, but there's the aftermath during which my 13 dwarves would have to stuff them back in the cage... And this can only be done one animal at a time so I would need 13 cages rigged to a single lever which is a lot of resource waste. Even if I did it, I'd lose at least a month's worth of time...

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 02:13:30 am »

I could, but there's the aftermath during which my 13 dwarves would have to stuff them back in the cage... And this can only be done one animal at a time so I would need 13 cages rigged to a single lever which is a lot of resource waste. Even if I did it, I'd lose at least a month's worth of time...

You can assign a limitless amount of animals, prisoners, wild animals, zombies etc to any cage. You only need one.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 02:31:28 am »

You can assign a limitless amount of animals, prisoners, wild animals, zombies etc to any cage. You only need one.
I am aware of that but they can only be caged one by one. Which takes too long...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 02:33:34 am by Yovatsap »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 06:07:26 am »

Once I had a combined rutherer and bear explosion, my meat stocks where like 10,000.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 06:24:18 am »

deconstruct your wagon. Designate a small meeting hall in a 3x3 or smaller room. Finish Operation: Seal The Fortress From The World. Get up a healthy # of cage traps anyway. disable labors and pack non-growers in the hall. They'll make friends and hopefully hook up. Put a symbol in their nickname so you know who went through this. As they hook up take em out. NEVER let any of them die unless you enjoy tantrum spirals. Get everyone back to work once your hobos get to the babycrafting. Congrats you now have an unofficial breeding caste.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 06:47:37 am »

deconstruct your wagon. Designate a small meeting hall in a 3x3 or smaller room. Finish Operation: Seal The Fortress From The World. Get up a healthy # of cage traps anyway. disable labors and pack non-growers in the hall. They'll make friends and hopefully hook up. Put a symbol in their nickname so you know who went through this. As they hook up take em out. NEVER let any of them die unless you enjoy tantrum spirals. Get everyone back to work once your hobos get to the babycrafting. Congrats you now have an unofficial breeding caste.

How does that help with cheetahs leaving the pastures?
Sure, in ~20 years he may have a couple more haulers, but that isnt really a solution. Most forts dont even live that long.

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 09:35:05 am »

How does that help with cheetahs leaving the pastures?
Sure, in ~20 years he may have a couple more haulers, but that isnt really a solution. Most forts dont even live that long.
I'm actually in my 16th year and the first baby of the fort was born recently ^^ And I'm planning on keeping this fort up for a long time.

AND I SHALL DESTROY ANY WHO STAND IN MY WAY! I SHALL SLAY THEIR BRETHREN AND SACRIFICE THEIR BLOOD TO ARMOK! MY DWARVES SHALL FEAST ON THEIR FLESH! NOTHING WILL STOP THE TRIUMPH OF YAWNEDGLAZED, THE BRAVEST AND MOST PRESTIGIOUS FORTRESS OF THE HEALING BARRICADE!
Pages: [1] 2