Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Feature Idea: Prison Effects  (Read 5766 times)

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
A Feature Idea: Prison Effects
« on: June 15, 2012, 06:31:39 pm »

I think it'd add to the game to have prisons having both positive and negative events happen 'on the inside', because right now all prison does is keep you from losing your liberals. I think it'd be a nice touch for your captured comrades to pick up a point of Improvised Weapons or two, lose a point or two of heart, and have parole hearings and such. Asides from events in the justice system, a Liberal with sufficient skills in Writing could be able to do a prison biography or a manifesto, with high-persuasion liberals potentially doing interviews, etc. Perhaps events based on the severity of police/death penalty laws? I can't code, unfortunately, but I know there's some very skilled programmers on this board and I think this would be relatively low-hanging fruit compared to implementing any more complex concepts while modifying the game past adding new weapons/armours.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Feature Idea: Prison Effects
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 04:08:25 am »

We have some of that already--conservative re-education--but I do like the idea of an expanded system.

Every month, depending on various skills, they might have a chance of doing something interesting--perhaps even recruiting sleeper prison guards, if they're persuasive or seductive yet.

How about this:
High Writing skill: May write a memoir from prison, changing public opinion of the LCS.
Low Heart: May get into a fight, sustaining injuries, being killed, or killing another prisoner (extending their sentence).
High Religion, high Wisdom: May "get religion" in prison, leaving the LCS and possibly adding Racketeering charges to their superior.
High Intelligence: May take a random college class while in prison, for free.
High Persuasion or Seduction: May recruit/seduce sleeper prison guards.
High Agility, Disguise, Stealth: A chance each month of escaping prison independently.
High Law: May be able to get death sentence commuted to life imprisonment, or shorten existing sentence.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 03:38:39 pm »

High Agility, Disguise, Stealth: A chance each month of escaping prison independently.

This sounds horribly imbalanced, but I like the sound of it. :) The kind of epic-level liberal ninja that can sneak into the CIA HQ would be able to just walk out of prison. Or maybe somersault out of prison, slaying guards with a prison katana forged out of toilet paper and spit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 02:35:57 pm »

I wouldn't even mind that if it is a particularly terrible prison and we are dealing with a particularly soft member... that they could be killed in jail.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 11:15:26 am »

well U.S. prisons have a lot of fights happen in them so geting attacked should be a monthy roll.

Prisoner attacks
can happen for any reason mostly fist or shiv.
have a time limit till the guards brake it up.(based on Police Regulation)
can not happen on death row as it is to well guarded(unless C+ Police Regulation)

can be lone attacker, small group(2-4) or a mob(4+)

Guard attacks
happen based on liberal crimes, lcs street rep, Police Regulation and Human Rights
can have any weapons (yes even guns, what you think Andreas Baader really shot him self?
and your liberal is still locked in there cell so no running a way.  so don't roll too badly
sizes small group(2-4) or a mob(4+)

Sleepers
prison based sleepers can help lower the risk of attack and shorten the number of turns a fight lasts.
or thay may jump in to help even the odds.(never guard vs guard)
if  liberal is badly wounded they may get taken to the sick wing (level one)

yes life on the in side is not safe.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 08:38:52 am »

We already have a mechanic for the "being attacked by people off-screen" thing; it's used for Liberals facing mobs while causing trouble. Maybe a similar thing?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 05:59:55 am »

i was thinking more like the fight slash chase when to exit a site.
basicy the idea is to make prison an bad place to be.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 02:39:30 pm »

I'm not sure how I feel about escaping prison, and ditto for recruiting sleepers, but otherwise everything Callista suggested sounds pretty cool.Like I get that prison isn't supposed to be an interesting place but even Oblivion gave you a (low) chance of picking up skills in the slammer.

Prisoner attacks sound neat too, but at least for game balance they should be few and far between. I like to be well prepared before I spring someone, so if I'm stockpiling weapons only to discover that my man tripped and hit his head six times while nobody was looking I'm gonna be somewhat put off. But maybe that's the nature of the game anyway.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 07:10:33 pm »

prison isn't supposed to be a nice place.
you sholdent get attack too often, unless every one hates the lcs and with good skill you should be able to fight off/run away from most attacks.
getting bady beatn moves down to level 1 so it will be easyer to spring.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 01:28:28 am »

Liberals with really good fighting skills should be able to easily fend off attacks, though.

If laws are moderate enough, a Liberal who has been attacked may be put into solitary to prevent him from being killed, preventing further attacks but also preventing them from getting effects related to socializing with other prisoners.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 01:40:30 am »

Liberals with really good fighting skills should be able to easily fend off attacks, though.

If laws are moderate enough, a Liberal who has been attacked may be put into solitary to prevent him from being killed, preventing further attacks but also preventing them from getting effects related to socializing with other prisoners.

and if they are Liberal enough a prisoner has no chance of being stabbed simply because of how perfect they are.

However there could be a chance they will be completely rehabilitated.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 12:57:02 pm »

and if they are Liberal enough a prisoner has no chance of being stabbed simply because of how perfect they are.

They already try to turn your liberals into conservatives. Atleast during a life-sentence. Not sure about the other times.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 10:33:49 pm »

They already try to turn your liberals into conservatives. Atleast during a life-sentence. Not sure about the other times.

Ohh no you don't see. A Really liberal society will outright make your members quit the LCS.

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 08:04:11 pm »

Exactly. Liberal prisons, and sleepers in a liberal society without a certain amount of juice (100?) should start making LCS members drop out.

The lack an oppressive conservative authority should have debiliating effects on the LCS, after all - they're losing their raison d'etre.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 11:07:06 pm »

Yeah, that sounds like a good way to make the late-game harder too.
Hello Hunam
Pages: [1] 2