Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A Feature Idea: Prison Effects  (Read 5775 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Feature Idea: Prison Effects
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 03:07:25 am »

The lack an oppressive conservative authority should have debiliating effects on the LCS, after all - they're losing their raison d'etre.

Well that and remember they are still a "Crime" Squad in a society that by all means has outdated crime. Imagine a system of effective rehabilitation.

Difficulty should be parabolic. (I've said this before)

Conservative is hard because it is hellish and brutal.
Liberal is hard because it is perfect.

Are you being sieged in a liberal society? Well obviously they use their excellent police negotiators to convince your members to stop.

In this case as we described it applies

Jails in a Concervative society are hell holes where a member is just as likely to die from the guards as they are from the inmates and regular beatings are manditory.
Jails in a Liberal society are havens of rehabilitation where even the toughest murderer finds salvation, in fact a member may develop useful job skills while inside.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:09:31 am by Neonivek »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 06:50:50 pm »

I have spoken on both the end of the LCS's raison d'etre and the prison system before, and still support my previous suggestion on it.
Disillusionment
As the country comes closer to Liberalization, some of your liberals might begin to have....doubts about the validity of the LCS in a world so close to their ideal. The conditions for winning the game should be taken, and the percentage of those you have fulfilled applied to a Public Juice Count. At the game's start, the Public Juice Count will be in the negatives and not affect any Liberals but those who also maintain negative juice. However, once the percentage to completion raises, so will the Juice Count. When it reaches positive numbers, any Liberals who have a juice count lesser than it will occasionally approach their direct superior and point out one of the LCS's immoral actions (Using guns, killing people, rampages, "enlightenment", publishing someone's private information, flooding the city bay with nuclear waste even after nuclear power is banned, obstructing the justice system, etc). These are only "unlocked" if you've ever actually committed them, giving bonuses to things such as pacifist runs, as the LCS is more in-line with its worldview. For example:

You've told us all that we're working to eliminate guns from society and make people safe, but we shoot people to prove our point! How is this ever supposed to work!?

Success: Look, sometimes we have to make compromises for the greater good. The conservatives will shoot at us even if we don't shoot back, and if we die this has all been for nothing.
-OR-
Failure: Don't rock the boat, man. Just do as you're told.

Success: (Doubting Liberal) is satisfied for now.
-OR-
Failure: (Doubting Liberal) walks out of the safehouse in disgust

If it succeeds, the Liberal's juice is raised to the Public Juice Count's current location. If it fails, they abandon the LCS. However, the larger the disparity between the liberal's juice and the public's juice, the harder it is to convince them. At the end of the game, the Public Juice Count will be 700 Juice. This also applies to sleepers, so that would assist in making them less powerful. Finally, it can also effect the current leader of the LCS should they not have a high enough juice count, but without a superior what happens to them is different. The leader, filled with doubts, goes off on their own to soul search. The leader is transported to a random site. If the leader can commit a Liberal Action while on the site, their crisis is resolved and their juice is raised to the correct level. If they cannot, they abandon the LCS and the same events occur that do when a leader dies.

Re-education/Rehabilitation
It wouldn't be one of my LCS suggestion posts without.....a New Issue!

Prisoner Rights
C+: Prisoners have no rights whatsoever, subject to constant conservative brainwashing and abuse. (Effect: Prison is a Re-education Camp that functions the same as the one that exists now, with the addition of a check for damage every month to the already existing Juice check. Liberals who suffer too many checks in succession and don't have First Aid skill may die.)
C: Prisoners are regularly deprived of human rights and used as cheap labor for industry. (Effect: Prison is a Prison Factory that has a lesser drain on your Liberal's Heart and Juice than the Re-Education Camp. A less likely to succeed damage check is also in place.)
M: Prisoners have some guaranteed rights, but are generally not encouraged to change themselves. (Effect: Prison is Prison. Just prison, exactly like the one we have in the game now.)
L: Prisoners have the same rights as anyone else, but rehabilitory programs are limited in scope. (Effect: Prison is a Progressivist Prison. Liberals suffer a juice loss check each month equal to the Re-education Camp's.....except instead of being resisted by high Heart, it's resisted by high Wisdom. If your Liberal's juice reaches zero, they abandon the LCS. So yeah, that'll be a problem for you.)
L+: Prisoners are given comprehensive therapy and education during their term, allowing rehabilitation into happy and peaceful citizens. (Effect: Prison is a Rehabilitation Center that has a Wisdom-resisted Juice check that subtracts 300 Juice if failed. If it reaches zero Juice, the Liberal leaves the LCS.)

This makes prison a heavy threat to the LCS in Liberal law.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 05:03:54 am »

Ok, I new a few people may be sick of me Necroing posts, but with a new version out that may have a bug fix soon, I thought Id look through the forum a little and bring up a few ideas that look good.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 06:33:07 am »

Ok, I new a few people may be sick of me Necroing posts, but with a new version out that may have a bug fix soon, I thought Id look through the forum a little and bring up a few ideas that look good.

I would do this by making a new thread containing links to several older posts. Pulling the threads up to the top has a couple of negative effects -- it can confuse people into thinking that the discussion is current, and it can displace active discussions from the front page. The latter isn't as big an issue in Curses since it's quiet enough that the front page contains stale threads anyway, but it's still cleaner to link older threads rather than post in them. This also lets you quote or link to the parts of the thread you want to direct attention to more precisely.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 07:50:48 am »

Yeah, I pretty much 86'ed the idea anyway, I couldn't find anything and my rodent attention span prevented me from looking for to long.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.
Pages: 1 [2]