Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stockpile Mysteries  (Read 4969 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpile Mysteries
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 03:56:54 pm »

Alright sorry, been at a bike rally. Here we go:

Something with reserved bins or barrels?  Turn that all down to 0. Accepts organic and inorganic? 
I've never assigned bins or barrels. Stockpiles that work just take what they need and that's fine with me.

Are these the basic 'pick a letter' stockpiles, or custom ones?
The ones without problems are the pick a letter ones. Some custom ones work, others do not.

FWIW, I've noticed (annoying) behaviour where setting a stockpile with no bins/barrels allowed to take from a stockpile with bins/barrels allowed will result in it not being used, because the dwarves refuse to remove stuff from the bins/barrels to move it.
The metal bars are clogging up my smelters. The dwarves are taunting me because they moved an empty bin to the stockpile, but refuse to stock it.

I guess your using 34.11, have you made wheelbarrels and assigned 1 to each stockpile?  From what I have noticed with complex stockpiles, ones with more than one filter, is that its good to have atleast 1 wheelbarrel.  Also, are their idle dwarfs?  Or are they all busy, hauling is pretty low on the totem pole.  And with these new physics, I noticed some rock being FAR more heavy than others.. Rutile, for example is a lot heavier.  Are all your dwarfs weak?
I currently have 30+ idlers unless I'm cleaning up a siege. Some of my dwarves are pretty tough and strong too. I have a third group of 'reserve' military who are haulers and practice fighting when they get the chance, and even they won't touch them.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 04:50:38 pm »

Are any of them new stockpiles set up to replace the original big take everything one? or are any of the items in a stock pile area designated for a different item type?

I've noticed it can often take up to 6 months for the dwarfs to realise that things are in the wrong stockpile and move them. Even with a dozen haulers standing around idle.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 05:05:38 pm »

Custom stockpiles sometimes need more than one option enabled to get things stored, if the items can be made of different materials or there are extra options (empty cages for the Animal stockpile, prepared meals for the Food stockpile, sandbags for the Furniture stockpile...). These are switched on automatically once you enable a category in the leftmost list, but can be switched off if you're using the 'block all' option to make picking specific things off the middle list easier. But the Bar/Block stockpile doesn't have anything like that...

Are the stockpiles set to take from links only? Are there any wheelbarrows assigned to the stockpiles?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 05:39:41 pm »

Custom stockpiles sometimes need more than one option enabled to get things stored, if the items can be made of different materials or there are extra options (empty cages for the Animal stockpile, prepared meals for the Food stockpile, sandbags for the Furniture stockpile...). These are switched on automatically once you enable a category in the leftmost list, but can be switched off if you're using the 'block all' option to make picking specific things off the middle list easier. But the Bar/Block stockpile doesn't have anything like that...

Are the stockpiles set to take from links only? Are there any wheelbarrows assigned to the stockpiles?

They are set to take from anywhere. And I thought wheelbarrows were only for stone, really? And yeah I evem gave it one just in case and still nothing.
Legacy of Insightshields

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 06:49:33 pm »

I'm having crafters forget /R jobs, in workshops after they change workshops.  They go idle, instead of back to the last workshop to work.  New migrants won't even go start on the /R job, its like it has fallen into limbo.  This might be something similar, to your hauling issue.  The job list has a choice at the bottom to remove it.  Maybe you should try removing some of those hauling tasks and see if it doesn't kickstart the AI out of its nap.  That's what I plan to try with my /R job problem.  Although simply canceling the job and resetting it in the workshop, does the trick, too.  But unfortunately, with hauling, ya have no workshop, to reissue the task at...  Try the job list, and see if you can't REMOVE the store item to stockpile jobs.  So fresh ones are issued.  There might be somekind of low organizer, or missing manager, job penalty in effect, or a big-eyed-bug running across the screen!  HEH. Good luck, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 07:16:31 pm »

Is the stockpile set to take from something? That might be the cause of the problem. Also, if you look at the bars, do they have "tsk" next to them or not? If so, that means there is a task assigned that involves the bars.

Edit: Are your idle dwarves set to haul bars? Are they assigned to any burrows and do you have any military alerts on? Those can all mess up the hauling process. Also, are the bars and stockpile accessible?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 07:18:56 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 07:28:13 pm »

Is the stockpile set to take from something? That might be the cause of the problem. Also, if you look at the bars, do they have "tsk" next to them or not? If so, that means there is a task assigned that involves the bars.

Edit: Are your idle dwarves set to haul bars? Are they assigned to any burrows and do you have any military alerts on? Those can all mess up the hauling process. Also, are the bars and stockpile accessible?

The stockpile is set to take from anywhere. The bars are not set for any task, and even if they were, there are more bars than I have dwarves, so some of them would just be sitting there at any point in time. My idle dwarves, specifically my Haulers, are set to haul any and everything. I only have one burrow and haven't used it since the first years of my fortress, but some stockpiles weren't working from there either. Plus the burrows arent active. The bars are in my smelter, which is in my main hall, which is a couple blocks from the stockpile.

Also, I made more wheelbarrows incase that was it somehow. It wasn't. They moved them to the stockpile and then left them.

Edit:   This is the smelter with bars, and the stockpile and wheelbarrows and taunting little bin nearby. You can also see my other stockpiles seem to function relatively normally. What you can't see is the empty cage stockpile 1 layer up, and the empty ballista bolt stockpile 1 layer down.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 07:37:12 pm by SpiralDimentia »
Legacy of Insightshields

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 07:43:14 pm »

Where are you storing blocks?  Does that stockpile work?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 07:50:32 pm »

Where are you storing blocks?  Does that stockpile work?

I was storing them in the main room, where the gold nuggets are. But then I deleted it and made the gold nugget stockpile, and any blocks I made just sat in the masonry shops.
Legacy of Insightshields

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 08:11:47 pm »

What options do you have enabled or disabled in the stockpile?  Include both the basic settings and the types of items allowed.

It sounds to me like you may have disabled the "Additional Options" setting, which will disallow all types of materials.

If that isn't it, set the hotkeys to jump to problematic stockpiles and upload the save so we can troubleshoot it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:13:22 pm by HiEv »
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 08:17:51 pm »

What options do you have enabled or disabled in the stockpile?  Include both the basic settings and the types of items allowed.

It sounds to me like you may have disabled the "Additional Options" setting, which will disallow all types of materials.

If that isn't it, set the hotkeys to jump to problematic stockpiles and upload the save so we can troubleshoot it.

max barrels: 0
max bins: 24
max wheelbarrows: 3

bars/blocks enabled
     bars:metal enabled
            all metal enabled
Everything else disabled

additonal options enabled, however allow plant/animal and allow non-plant/animal were both disabled, despite the additional options being enabled. weird. turning them on now.

Edit: My good sir, there are bars in my bar stockpile and I have you to thank for it. Bravo! And I love you. :D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:22:42 pm by SpiralDimentia »
Legacy of Insightshields

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 08:29:08 pm »

They are set to take from anywhere. And I thought wheelbarrows were only for stone, really? And yeah I evem gave it one just in case and still nothing.
I was going to suggest removing any assigned wheelbarrows, just to remove one factor.

Wheelbarrows are for single heavy objects. Mostly stones, potentially corpses*, possibly bins. I'm not sure if dwarves will put an item in a bin in a wheelbarrow, but it would make bin-filling jobs much quicker if if they did. Or maybe they'd do that ridiculous seed dance.

*You should just be able to wheel your FB corpse to the regular butchery pile now instead of having to put a butcher's down by the corpse, but I haven't had any corpses large enough to slow down a dwarf yet.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 08:32:55 pm »

additonal options enabled, however allow plant/animal and allow non-plant/animal were both disabled, despite the additional options being enabled. weird. turning them on now.

Edit: My good sir, there are bars in my bar stockpile and I have you to thank for it. Bravo! And I love you. :D

Cool.  Happy to help.   :)
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 11:26:11 pm »

I thought wheelbarrows were only for stone
potentially corpses

Gave my hunter wheelbarrow hauling skill.  He carries giant variants back without a wheelbarrow, which seems odd.  But if you think about it, he'd look a little silly stalking prey with a grocery cart.  Although it would be nice if he did have a caddy or golf cart, to carry extra ammo for himself. 

All my stockpiles got one.  Haven't seen a dead body in one yet.  logs, stones, and bars, so far.  Do not do much honey pot hauling, but they might use one there, if its a rutile pot.  They sure move fast, behind that grocery cart.  Its almost as if they have the kiddy seat down and are riding on it themselves.  Weee!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2012, 12:01:15 am »

...Whaaaa?
Pages: 1 [2]