Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stockpile Mysteries  (Read 4971 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stockpile Mysteries
« on: June 15, 2012, 06:53:34 pm »

Uh oh Scooby, looks like we got a mystery.

This has happened more than once. The first time I brushed it off as a fluke, cause when I mentioned it here no one said anything. Now, this is the fourth time it's happened [Food, Cage, Stone block, and now Metal Bar] and it's beginning to get on my nerves. I'll make a stockpile, make sure all the right stuff is turned on and nothing important is disabled... but it won't get used. I had a goblin ina  cage sit outside for the better part of a year before I noticed he wasn't in my makeshift prison. I had food go bad because I didn't notice my food stockpile wasn't being filled. What's the deal? Are stockpiles just randomly bugged now for some reason?

Edit; Now they're taunting me. They put a bin in the stockpile, an empty one, but are still ignoring the several hundred metal bars sitting a few feet away.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 07:06:09 pm by SpiralDimentia »
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Stockpile Mysteries
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 07:19:55 pm »

Stupid question: you remembered to clear the stockpile of debris, right?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 07:22:02 pm »

I don't place the stockpiles where there is already stuff. I dug most of the piles out in dirt area where there were no rocks, and my metal bar stockpile is on an empty expanse of constructed stone floors.
Legacy of Insightshields

Hamek McEisenfaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 08:57:24 pm »

For the goblin cage, look at the orders menu, see if you have animal hauling turned on. hell, for all of them see if the orders menu shows animal, food, etc hauling. My own experience is the food, i had it set (somehow) to Ignore Food, all my crops withered, was pretty pissed. Look at your orders menu.
"here's 7 inebriated borderline psychotic bastards, go dig out a living space for 200 of them that will be coming soon btw there's also a terrible tentacle monster-panda made out of barf to deal with have fun" -PsychicKid

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 09:13:51 pm »

For the goblin cage, look at the orders menu, see if you have animal hauling turned on. hell, for all of them see if the orders menu shows animal, food, etc hauling. My own experience is the food, i had it set (somehow) to Ignore Food, all my crops withered, was pretty pissed. Look at your orders menu.

Yep, it's set that they gather everything. My ballista bolt, metal bar, and animal cage stockpiles are all still empty.
Legacy of Insightshields

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 09:29:24 pm »

Are the stockpile set to accept from anywhere?  Are there burrow limitations?  Are you sure there are idle dwarves with the appropriate hauling labor enabled?  This last is my guess.  Set a dwarf with just animal hauling enabled.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 09:38:03 pm »

Are the stockpile set to accept from anywhere?  Are there burrow limitations?  Are you sure there are idle dwarves with the appropriate hauling labor enabled?  This last is my guess.  Set a dwarf with just animal hauling enabled.
Yes. No. Yes.

And I tried that, it just stood around looking bored.
Legacy of Insightshields

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 10:35:30 pm »

What is modded?
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 11:05:03 pm »

No mods. I mean other than the usual stuff, population cap, taking off warm.damp stone announcements, and the like. But no actual mods.
Legacy of Insightshields

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 11:16:01 pm »

Something with reserved bins or barrels?  Turn that all down to 0. Accepts organic and inorganic? 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 12:44:36 pm »

Are these the basic 'pick a letter' stockpiles, or custom ones?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 01:15:37 pm »

FWIW, I've noticed (annoying) behaviour where setting a stockpile with no bins/barrels allowed to take from a stockpile with bins/barrels allowed will result in it not being used, because the dwarves refuse to remove stuff from the bins/barrels to move it.

Probably unrelated but throwing it out there.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 01:44:32 pm »

I guess your using 34.11, have you made wheelbarrels and assigned 1 to each stockpile?  From what I have noticed with complex stockpiles, ones with more than one filter, is that its good to have atleast 1 wheelbarrel.  Also, are their idle dwarfs?  Or are they all busy, hauling is pretty low on the totem pole.  And with these new physics, I noticed some rock being FAR more heavy than others.. Rutile, for example is a lot heavier.  Are all your dwarfs weak?  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 03:04:26 pm »

You might need to upload a save for the forum to solve this one.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 03:46:41 pm »

some people in the past reported no hauling going on for stockpiles with wheelbarrows assigned if all were used, so if there was one assigned, it'd take 1 job at a time
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: [1] 2