Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Bolt stack separation/candy factory  (Read 35857 times)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
Re: Bolt stack separation/candy factory
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 10:05:05 am »

Probably you can do the same with coins? They come in packs of 500 so it'll be faster to make significant adamantine stocks.

In theory, each coin would net .1 bars, for a grand total of 50 bars returned per stack of coins.  You would need the following to make this a highly useful exploit:

-A magma furnace used exclusively for melting.

-A skilled (preferably legendary) furnace operator who was given exclusive access to that smelter through the profile screen.

-A skilled enough broker to let macros automate the process of trading the coins back and forth.

I suggest a "proof of concept" run first, and if I get a trade caravan before you post your results here, I'll do it.  Separate out 10 coins from the stack, then melt each of them.  Check your stocks screen after; if you have gained one bar of metal, it worked.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 10:13:01 am »

Does anyone know of a way to see what fractional bars the smelter has stored?  I know they are stored by the game until enough fractions are added in to give a full bar at which point it "magically" appears in smelter to be moved, but is there a way to see how much is there waiting for the rest of its "bar"?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 10:52:04 am »

Not according to the wiki, hence the importance of limiting your melting operations to one smelter.

Also, if that smelter is destroyed, all fractional bars within are lost, so before you start melting make sure your metal industry is precisely where you want it.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 11:04:29 am »

Oooh, I'd forgotten that part.  Darn, I guess I really should dig a bit deeper before I start my melting operations in future.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 11:13:45 am »

Wouldn't it be faster to just shotgun stacks of coins using minecarts?
Why has no one scienced this?
I imagine even a single stack of platinum coins would be pretty damn bad if it does split into 500 projectiles.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 11:14:47 am »

I imagine even a single stack of platinum coins would be pretty damn bad if it does split into 500 projectiles.
Shotguns don't split stacks, you would have to manually split the coins and then load up your thousands of coins per cart for maximum shotgunning.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 11:19:16 am »

Really? Damn i was sure i read somewhere that bolts were split by minecart collisions.
Still now i know you can split coins using traders it may allow some interesting minecart coin experiments.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 11:27:23 am »

Shotguns don't split stacks, you would have to manually split the coins and then load up your thousands of coins per cart for maximum shotgunning.
(From a Dwarven PoV) You make that sound like a bad thing? :D

We need a mechanical penny shooter to split these coin stacks, obviously.  Then we get double benefit: 1) individual coins are stored in minecarts ready to be shotgunned at incoming enemies, and 2) the contents of those minecarts are set to be melted down to acquire more metals.

If done right, it might be automated (maybe) with a certain percentage of newly minted bars getting turned into coins for further smeltage.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 01:29:27 pm »

Really? Damn i was sure i read somewhere that bolts were split by minecart collisions.
Still now i know you can split coins using traders it may allow some interesting minecart coin experiments.

Pretty sure they were individual bolts

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 04:45:54 am »

Aight, I tried trading coins, and:

I for one welcoome our new coin overlords.

Seriously, I now have five smelters melting down the ~700 coins I bothered to separate. With a yield of 50 bars per bar, you don't really have to worry about the maximum of 0.9 bars lost per smelter.
I also noticed twoo other advantages:

1. Coins are always produced at base quality, which is desirable because you want cheap coins to trade back  and forth.
2. Coins can be produced from any material. In my test run I used platinum and aluminum as well as adamantine.

Anyone wanna put this on the wiki?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 04:48:33 am »

How long did it take to seperate those 700 coins? I just want to roughly work out how long it would take to fill a minecart shotgun entirely with seperated platinum coins.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 06:07:30 am »

I used an inefficient method; your best bet would be repeatedly splitting sttacks.

1. Trade 250 of 500 coins for some of the trader's stuff. The trader now has one stack with 250 coins.
2. Trade 125 coins and a prepared meal (or something else you need to get rid of) for 125 coins. The trader now has two stacks with 125 coins each.
3. Trade 63 coinsfrom one stack, 63 coins from the other stack and a prepared meal for 63 coins from one stack and 63 coins from the other stack. The trader now has two stacks with 63 coins and two stacks with 63 coin.

29=512; that means you should be done after nine (or ten, because of the 62/63 situation) trades; each trade however needs its own macro.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 01:47:50 pm »

I have so much need for melting that recently I've designated a fourth magma smelter just for melting acquired items. My furnace operators are fast, but every siege and every caravan brings hundreds of items, plus I melt the items made by trainees (or even legendary - legendary in his description doesn't mean he won't make a well-crafted items).

Apart from that, my marksdwarves train best when using metal bolts, and they use huge quantities of them: I have one forge which has making bolts on repeat, plus I makes some additional batches from time to time, and I buy and "reacquire" all bolts, no matter the price. And my bone carver also makes bolts on repeat. This means that I have many good weaponsmiths, and thus many masterwork bolts. I melt all single bolts except masterwork, though even these are finally broken during practice.

I said all that just to indicate that the original idea of using bolts for making metal wouldn't work at all for me and my setup, and I see no way to change it. The coins seem more appropriate - in .31.25 a full stack of coins was yielding 1.1 bars of metal, and it was using 1.0 bars of metal to make. I don't know about the return rate in current version (I make only one stack of adamantine, steel, gold, silver and copper coins per year, as a kind of chronicle) but making a stack of coins still require 1 bar only…

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 03:18:16 pm »

How about using a universal macro to offer the stack to the traders one single coin at a time, and then destroying the trade depot to forcefully reclaim all the goods?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 03:31:14 pm »

How about using a universal macro to offer the stack to the traders one single coin at a time, and then destroying the trade depot to forcefully reclaim all the goods?
...And switching to a new depot before dumping all of your finished goods/useless crap as offerings. Lovely. Very dishonest though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5