Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Bolt stack separation/candy factory  (Read 35842 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Bolt stack separation/candy factory
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 03:55:53 pm »

You could sell their own stuff back to them too.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2012, 02:10:12 am »

well moving stuff one at a time would take longer, but would be easier to make a macro for, also i just thought of something, can you seperate the stacks when moving items to the trade depot??
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2012, 07:41:01 am »

You could sell their own stuff back to them too.

Unless they are elves. Anyway, I tried the trick with elves (but was selling only my items to them, mostly food and totems) and it works well. I ended up with about a thousand stacks of single coins, and now my smelters are clogged. Good thing that bins can store not only three full stacks of money, but also a huge number of smaller stacks and single coins. While using this method limiting yourself to one smelter is crazy, five or ten seem more appropriate. One wafer worth of coins can yield theoretically 50 new wafers, so any remainder when the task is done is negligible.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 08:46:15 am »

Not according to the wiki, hence the importance of limiting your melting operations to one smelter.

Also, if that smelter is destroyed, all fractional bars within are lost, so before you start melting make sure your metal industry is precisely where you want it.

Well, you only loose a max of 0.9ish bars per type of metal (assuming only one melter-smelter, which should be obvious). That's not really going to be important in the long run. Even for candy, since I'd only melt candy stuff if I had a candy factory, because without one there's always a net loss of almost the only limited resource.

I plan on making a steel/candy factory for my current fort. Haven't found any iron yet (at least there's plenty of tetrahedrite and cassiterite).

How about using a universal macro to offer the stack to the traders one single coin at a time, and then destroying the trade depot to forcefully reclaim all the goods?

I was going to suggest seizing all the coins (possibly with a 2nd macro: down, enter, repeat as many times as the stack size is), but couldn't you also just buy the coins back (using the aforementioned macro, maybe)? They don't recombine on purhase, do they?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 08:55:55 am by Snaake »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 09:22:59 am »

Trading single coins via macro is impractical, since you have to run the macro 500 times and each time select something for them to give to you - nothing shart of destroying/forbidding the depot lets you get back offerings.
What I did recently was trade stacks of 50 coins for merchant stuff, then buy 10 single coins for some of my own stuff, repeating this 50 times. It's actually quite fast, and my five magma smelters are full of adamantine. Having two legendaries, my dwarves went through the coins pretty fast...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2012, 10:19:23 am »

In my current fort I am basing my steel production around melting bolts from merchant split stacks.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2012, 11:15:41 am »

In my current fort I am basing my steel production around melting bolts from merchant split stacks.
That's what I'm saying - once you have the proper setup, trading coins simply is much easier.
(Plus you can't make gold, platinum or aluminum bolts)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2012, 11:37:32 am »

That's what I'm saying - once you have the proper setup, trading coins simply is much easier.
(Plus you can't make gold, platinum or aluminum bolts)
Well I haven't found any steel on my map and I am training weaponsmithing right now so I will likely focus on bolts but throw in a few coin jobs just to increase stocks.  The fort is only in it's first year and I only recently realized that embarking with bismuth bronze ores is super op now that the production amounts from ore were increased.  Buying everything useful in the first caravan feels real nice.
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2012, 11:53:08 am »

Trading single coins via macro is impractical, since you have to run the macro 500 times and each time select something for them to give to you - nothing shart of destroying/forbidding the depot lets you get back offerings.
What I did recently was trade stacks of 50 coins for merchant stuff, then buy 10 single coins for some of my own stuff, repeating this 50 times. It's actually quite fast, and my five magma smelters are full of adamantine. Having two legendaries, my dwarves went through the coins pretty fast...

You can use a macro which takes one coin out of stack for trading and repeats itself any number of times, and if you start with say 10 stacks, that adds up pretty quickly.  I don't know whether that would be easy with built-in macro mechanism, since I use a keyboard with macro ability and that works well for me.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2012, 01:04:03 pm »

You can use a macro which takes one coin out of stack for trading and repeats itself any number of times, and if you start with say 10 stacks, that adds up pretty quickly.  I don't know whether that would be easy with built-in macro mechanism, since I use a keyboard with macro ability and that works well for me.
It is much quicker to split the stacks in half each trade so instead of 500 trades you have about 10.  The disadvantage is that you get less training for your broker but I am mainly wanting smith training and an easier to manage steel industry so this is not an issue for me.  (I hate having to yell at my furnace operators for all going on break at once and shutting down the forges because we have no pig iron)
[DWARFINEERING]

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2012, 04:33:14 pm »

Added this method to the wiki page on exploits. 
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2012, 05:41:18 pm »

Added this method to the wiki page on exploits.
Hooray, someone doing stuff I'm too lazy to do!

(Seriously though, thanks ;) )
The Bay12 postcard club

ChairmanK--

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2012, 07:32:02 am »

For those who still prefer trading over mass offering, I have cobbled together a pair of crude macros for AutoHotKey. (As of 2012-11-02, Stack Trading is still untested for values of Quant (items traded per stack) over 99 Does not work for values >= 10. Sorry.
The issue appears to be the fact that the value of the variable StringForm is reset to the null string if := assignment is done more than once. (How is this possible?))

Stack Trading Auto.ahk
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In summary, this is pretty much only applicable to trade-based stack-splitting, and does not work with single coins. That's where the next one is applicable.

Mass Enter.ahk

Once there are only single coins left, this can be used to mass-designate. For that matter, it works for all enter-based designations (i.e. bringing stuff to the trade depot.)

The GUI is more or less self explanatory. The weakness of these scripts is that you need to know the no. of stacks/things to designate with the enter key beforehand. It is still less tiring than pressing the buttons individually.

For coin-trading, here's a cheat sheet for one coin stack; multiply by no. of stacks for more:

Sleep is there because my computer cannot handle all the strokes otherwise.

Oh, and remember to "bring back" to the depot (can be done while paused, as the coins are still physically there, just not being traded) the coins you buy back from the trader after each step (mass enter can be useful here).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 02:41:37 am by ChairmanK-- »

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2012, 07:43:18 am »

Wouldnt it be easier to just mod candy to produce 50000 wafers each?
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2012, 07:58:28 am »

Wouldnt it be easier to just mod candy to produce 50000 wafers each?
Some people just likes to find a in-game way to abuse things :D
Plus if it's work, then it don't feels as exploity.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5