Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Bolt stack separation/candy factory  (Read 35878 times)

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bolt stack separation/candy factory
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2012, 03:07:03 am »

I found a dwarfier way to unstack items. I only checked to see if it works for bolts and coins (it does) but it probably works for all stackables. Get a miserable/tantruming dwarf into an isolated room somehow, then lock the door, and inside that room have a stack of coins. When they tantrum sometimes they throw things. They'll start spamming about 200 hundred or so coins in all directions in the span of a few seconds. Then just d-b-c them and d-b-m them.

This is a way to make miserable naked children do something useful.

This was inspired by a tantrum spiral that happened to me when a pissy little dwarf kid grabbed some bolts and started tossing them all over the place, killing my expedition leader in the process with one of them.

Have fun

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2012, 04:40:33 am »

Is splitting really necessary?

You should get 110% gain from melting whole stacks of coins even with candy, so why go for all that trouble?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2012, 05:00:39 am »

You should get 110% gain from melting whole stacks of coins even with candy, so why go for all that trouble?
It's much more return that way. Though not worth the effort IMO.

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2012, 07:46:54 am »

I found a dwarfier way to unstack items. I only checked to see if it works for bolts and coins (it does) but it probably works for all stackables. Get a miserable/tantruming dwarf into an isolated room somehow, then lock the door, and inside that room have a stack of coins. When they tantrum sometimes they throw things. They'll start spamming about 200 hundred or so coins in all directions in the span of a few seconds. Then just d-b-c them and d-b-m them.

This is a way to make miserable naked children do something useful.

This was inspired by a tantrum spiral that happened to me when a pissy little dwarf kid grabbed some bolts and started tossing them all over the place, killing my expedition leader in the process with one of them.

Have fun

Can How can we weaponize this?

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2012, 08:56:24 am »

Creating a stack of coins and melting them down again gives you a profit of 0.1 bars for 2 reactions, while creating the stack, splitting it and then melting down all the individual coins gives you a profit of 49 bars for 501 reactions. So if you minimize the distance between the smelters and the depot (or whatever you use to split the stacks), splitting the stacks first is almost twice as fast.
But if you have your smelters down by the magma sea and your depot at the surface, it is probably faster not to split them first. It all depends on your fortress design.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2012, 09:16:33 am »

It all depends on your fortress design.
Coin chute to the center of the Earth.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2012, 10:28:12 am »

Just as your furnace operator grabs new a coin to smelt, a new batch of coins get dropped down 100 z levels and splits the skull of the furnace operator neatly in half. Not exactly ideal.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2012, 10:35:04 am »

Just as your furnace operator grabs new a coin to smelt, a new batch of coins get dropped down 100 z levels and splits the skull of the furnace operator neatly in half. Not exactly ideal.
Dropped on a bridge linked to a lever. Pull the lever to fling the dropped coins right inside your workshop. Problem solved.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2012, 12:10:01 pm »

Drop chute onto a roller that pushes the cart over a safety gap, past a dump stop, and beyond the edge of the track to a minecart stockpile. Dwarves will take a minecart to an appropriate stockpile before returning it to its designated route, so if it's on a stockpile when it comes to rest it'll be taken straight back to the top of the chute.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2012, 12:46:24 pm »

Dropped on a bridge linked to a lever. Pull the lever to fling the dropped coins right inside your workshop. Problem solved.
To inefficient. Just make a random peasant furnace operator, much more cost effective.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2012, 12:49:55 pm »

Now I know what to do with my vampires.
"One hundred and ninety eight, ah ah ah!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2012, 12:52:44 pm »

To inefficient. Just make a random peasant furnace operator, much more cost effective.
Not in fuel cost. Any Fort with only magma access will find that more fuel efficient.

Single coins just pass right through (somehow), causing no damage. Worse comes to worse (platinum coins), installing a floor hatch at the bottom of the shaft to open/close on demand solves this.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2012, 01:07:26 pm »

Not in fuel cost. Any Fort with only magma access will find that more fuel efficient.
Plus experienced operators works faster, giving better return over certain timespan.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2012, 12:59:50 am »

Creating a stack of coins and melting them down again gives you a profit of 0.1 bars for 2 reactions, while creating the stack, splitting it and then melting down all the individual coins gives you a profit of 49 bars for 501 reactions.

If you want to make metal why not just use giant axe blades, or leggings and net .5 bars for two reactions or 125 bars for 500 reactions?

I appreciate dwarven engineering, but at some point it doesn't seem worth it to make 612 lefts to make a right.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2012, 02:01:07 am »

Creating a stack of coins and melting them down again gives you a profit of 0.1 bars for 2 reactions, while creating the stack, splitting it and then melting down all the individual coins gives you a profit of 49 bars for 501 reactions.

If you want to make metal why not just use giant axe blades, or leggings and net .5 bars for two reactions or 125 bars for 500 reactions?

I appreciate dwarven engineering, but at some point it doesn't seem worth it to make 612 lefts to make a right.

That's all fine and good, but it doesn't apply to adamantine wafers, since you'll need 5 wafers to make a pair of leggings or a giant axe blade. It also doesn't apply to any material that can't be used to create armor or weapons.

Also, to create 125 bars with the leggings method, you'll need to either input 50+ bars at the start, or to issue melt orders repeatedly. To create 50 bars with the coin method, you'll only need one bar and one melt order.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5