Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Bolt stack separation/candy factory  (Read 35758 times)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bolt stack separation/candy factory
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2012, 02:47:13 am »

To create 50 bars with the coin method, you'll only need one bar and one melt order.

And a complicated macro and a lot of micromanaging. And a caravan.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2012, 03:46:12 am »

To create 50 bars with the coin method, you'll only need one bar and one melt order.

And a complicated macro and a lot of micromanaging. And a caravan.

Not if you use child labor.

UPD: Whoops, gotta learn to check people's claims before referring to them. According to the results of my newest tests, a dwarf throws 30-40 coins per tantrum - not 200 as Nuoya claimed. Along with the costs of inducing a tantrum on demand, this makes tantrum-unstacking look less than lucrative... and so we're back to macros.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 02:52:12 pm by HmH »

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2012, 10:32:19 am »

Wait... you can melt bolts back into their raw materials? I thought that changed?
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2012, 10:46:55 am »

Wait... you can melt bolts back into their raw materials? I thought that changed?
Yes, you can, and never had been disallowed, as far as I can remember, for metal bolts. Anything metal can be melt down, it's just not usually worth it for bolts since they get used up so fast or there're more of said metal around than can be used ( Like silver, copper, etc, stuffs that's not interesting otherwise ) :D

It does take a few of them to get a full bar out, the glitch is that split up bolts gives more back than whole stack does, I believe each bolt give as much return as a stack does, but that might be outdated/errorous information.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2012, 01:39:41 pm »

Bars are created in the smelter in increments of 0.1, and you always get something from smelting no matter how small the item is. So your stack of 25 bolts made from one bar of metal can be turned into 25 separate items, each of which gives you more than 0.04 bars in return and therefore results in a net gain of the bolt material.

At the moment the minimum may be 0.3 bars instead of 0.1, as melting is currently bugged to make many items give up more bars than it took to make them.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2012, 06:09:43 pm »

I've never understood why people bother with exploits like this.  If you want to cheat, just turn your gabbro into adamantine with dfhack's changeitem.

It's truly weird how many people will scoff at dfhack and even danger rooms but consider fortifications on map edges, perpetual motion machines, etc to be 'features.'

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2012, 09:52:04 pm »

Bay12 is fun like that.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2012, 06:27:24 am »

I've never understood why people bother with exploits like this.  If you want to cheat, just turn your gabbro into adamantine with dfhack's changeitem.

It's truly weird how many people will scoff at dfhack and even danger rooms but consider fortifications on map edges, perpetual motion machines, etc to be 'features.'

If it's possible in-game without any external utilities or modifications, I consider it legal. So yes to danger rooms or coin melting, but no to Free Adamantine reactions or DFHack stuff.
The game is easy enough either way. Even without such exploits you can simply use crossbows, steel or weapon traps to destroy everything. Once you reach that point, it becomes fun to simply break the game as far as possible.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2012, 06:58:14 am »

I'm too lazy to use external utilities. And I don't considered danger room a cheat, just not 'dangerous' as it should be :D

And I consider coin/bolt stack exploits to be part of playing DF, particularly since it does takes a lot of effort to get the best return out of it. I does hopes that future versions will at least keep the coin exploit, or just the 110% return for a stack, because I'd enjoy crashing everyone's economy sometimes :D

Granted, this is just my opinion, and everyone have different opinion. If it can be done in-game and takes some effort to at least set up and run, it's a feature/exploit, not a cheat.

I could even say that making a process that takes a whole gaggleful of ash, say 300, to turn them into bluemetal rock, isn't cheating either, but free reaction would be cuz, what effort? :D

Urist Mcfortwrecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2013, 09:27:33 am »

could someone post their macros for this for those of us too lazy to ssplit their own coins?
sorry for the necro but this seems to be the most recent thread on this particualr topic and i think its relevant enough to necro

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2013, 12:55:06 pm »

It's really easier to make up the makro on the spot; you need about log2(500) ~ 9 different ones anyway.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]