Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Bolt stack separation/candy factory  (Read 35748 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Bolt stack separation/candy factory
« on: June 17, 2012, 01:37:26 pm »

You still remember EliDupree's candy factory? With complicated engineering, constant reclaim/melt orders and general inefficiency?
(OK, I'll take back that last one, seeing as how he made an adamantine sphinx :D )

Well, there now is an easy alternative, harnessing the power of trade!
What you basically do is get n stacks of bolts to the depot, then trade n bolts for some cheap item, then trade n bolts (and some other cheap item) for those same n bolts!
In the end you will wind up with a whole load of single bolts, all ready for melting. The extra cheap item you trade each time is necessary because unless you've got a very good broker the merchants won't make 1:1 deals.

I strongly recommend using a macro for this.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 04:40:30 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Bolt stack separation/candy factory
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 03:02:19 pm »

I'm sure there's an old thread exactly like this one somewhere, but I can't find it for the life of me.

Ah well, nice rediscovery/find or whatever :p

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 03:52:56 pm »

This was noted back when stacks became splittable for trading, but hasn't received much attention despite being free adamantine with very little dwarven effort. Nice job picking up on it anyway.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 04:25:54 pm »

Simple little tricks like this need to be put down somewhere. They get constantly rediscovered, and people figure that because they're so simple they don't need to be recorded; but really you can play DF for months before you think of them yourself.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 04:27:26 pm »

And will melting those bolts give back more than the one wafer spent creating them?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 04:28:14 pm »

And will melting those bolts give back more than the one wafer spent creating them?

Yes.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 06:54:23 pm »

You get a minimum of 0.1 metal from each melt, and it only costs 1 metal to make 25 bolts.
Rather than hostile souls being gradually consumed in the reactor, allied souls are are used as a catalyst.

I imagine the trade has to go like:
1) Trade Iron Bolts[30] & -Iron Bolts[30]- & +Iron Bolts[30] for booze/metal/whatever you wanted to buy
2) Trade trinket for Iron Bolts[1] & -Iron Bolts[1]- & +Iron Bolts[1]
3) Repeat step 2 until all bolts are repurchased individually.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 07:48:46 pm »

Yes.

It's a slow way of making free metal of any kind, but it does net a gain of 1.5 bars per stack.

I honestly prefer the other way of separating bolts because, to do this on a large scale, trading would be a nightmare without a macro and some supervision (because of how trading can work).  The older method may be a little more roundabout, but it is much easier once established to smelt lots and lots of bars using this exploit.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 08:00:26 pm »

I honestly prefer the other way of separating bolts because, to do this on a large scale, trading would be a nightmare without a macro and some supervision (because of how trading can work).  The older method may be a little more roundabout, but it is much easier once established to smelt lots and lots of bars using this exploit.
And it trains marksdwarves :D

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 08:47:43 pm »

..... ALL THE POSIBILITYS!¡!!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 09:57:49 pm »

The time it takes does make it difficult, though. All that trading or shooting and melting and re-forging does take time, probably about as much time as any other industry. It may be unrealistic, but I only consider it an exploit since you can use it to produce more candy. If it were only useful for steel and down, it would be about as useful as smelting goblinite or scrap from the merchants.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 10:00:00 pm »

Side effect: This will also train up your broker.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 03:18:20 am »

Probably you can do the same with coins? They come in packs of 500 so it'll be faster to make significant adamantine stocks.

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 04:09:27 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=51423.0

Found EliDupree's thread, if anyone wants. Hah never knew this exploit, man I gotta try this! (Once my Magma piston is done-sos. .)
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 05:00:49 am »

Probably you can do the same with coins? They come in packs of 500 so it'll be faster to make significant adamantine stocks.
I'll try this out as soon as the humans come visit me!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5