Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alternatives to cats  (Read 2665 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alternatives to cats
« on: June 15, 2012, 12:55:03 pm »

Are there any other animals I can embark with that are not cats? Problem with cats is that they adopt owners, after which there isn't really any way to get rid of them without upsetting the owner (it's as bad as migrants that come with pets).

Are there any other vermin-hunting animals I can embark with that do not adopt owners?
Feeling down? Click Here!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alternatives to cats
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 12:59:59 pm »

Only cats are embarkable in vanilla.

Now, I think some of the birds introduced in 34.x can hunt vermin too, but the problem besides them not being normal domestics is that you'll need nest boxes to breed them. 
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 01:55:49 pm »

Peregrine falcons also hunt vermin. They're pretty good at it, and most importantly you can control their population, unlike cats. They're my favorites. I might have modded them slightly to make them available at embark though.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 03:18:27 pm »

Am I the only person who doesn't have ANY cats assigned to a dwarf as a pet? My cats and kittens are all listed as "uninterested"...

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 03:38:34 pm »

Trappers work well too, don't they? With those huge cheese maker waves, there is dwarf power to spare.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 03:44:03 pm »

Woah woah woah, wait.
You can have DWARVES HUNTING VERMIN??  :o

whale_biologist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 03:49:25 pm »

when you look at workshops, such as the carpenter for example, they have a Create "Animal Trap" option, you create and place them with through the build menu to capture vermin.

Its just that cats/peregrine falcons/magma are more economical and less time consuming.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 03:49:52 pm »

Nvm, just read the wiki page on it... not very efficient at all, the use of animal traps.

I might have modded them slightly to make them available at embark though.
Can you tell me what needs to be added to the creature to make it available on embark?

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 04:03:09 pm »

Can you tell me what needs to be added to the creature to make it available on embark?

I think adding [COMMON_DOMESTIC] would do the trick.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 06:12:37 pm »

Am I the only person who doesn't have ANY cats assigned to a dwarf as a pet? My cats and kittens are all listed as "uninterested"...

No, I'm in the same situation, for now.  Cats generally attach themselves to dwarves whose preferences include cats.  With no dwarves who like cats around (easy enough with a small population), cats may be slower or unable to adopt dwarves.

See if you stay in that situation when you're up around 100 dwarves.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 08:49:25 pm »

Woah woah woah, wait.
You can have DWARVES HUNTING VERMIN??  :o
There are two ways to achieve this. One, animal traps. Two, starve your dwarves enough.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 01:36:10 pm »

I only have a few pet cats and I think most if not all of them arrived with immigrants.  I keep what cats I need pastured in my food stores and the excess are ruthlessly butchered.  Because of this, cats don't roam the fort and rub up against crazy cat dorfs.  The only time they get adopted is if those dorfs get something to eat or drink and the cat looks up into their eyes the wrong way.  It probably helps when you have cats guarding food stocks for things like farmer's workshops, mills/querns and fisheries to have dwarves who don't like cats working those industries.  Then take pet cats and put them in the drink and edible food stockpiles because no one else can adopt them.  Drink is probably the biggest concern here since the dorfs will go to a food stockpile just to get something to haul off to the dining room, but they'll stay in the booze stockpile until they've finished their bender, and that keep them in close proximity with an unattached cat the longest.

Nvm, just read the wiki page on it... not very efficient at all, the use of animal traps.

From my experience, the trappers spend more time wandering around the fort than actually trapping anything, and they don't always go after the bad vermin.   And they'll trap stuff outside too.  I've got several traps with tree frogs in my fort, as if that's helpful.  Vermin pets aren't that great either (I tried it out, wasn't impressed), but you could have a trapper/trainer that traps vermin in his spare time and then tames them to sell to caravans.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 02:00:09 pm »

Usually some migrants will bring cats already adopted. You can kill them of course, but it makes Urist McCatlover very unhappy.
Peregrines are incredible good at hunting vermin, but not accessible everywhere, since you cannot embark with them in vanilla.
Usually I take some male cats only, that prevents catsplosions until some stupid migrants bring females. Either there are some unforeseen "accidents" or I just butcher all the female kittens. Works well.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 02:24:38 pm »

Usually some migrants will bring cats already adopted. You can kill them of course, but it makes Urist McCatlover very unhappy.
Peregrines are incredible good at hunting vermin, but not accessible everywhere, since you cannot embark with them in vanilla.
Usually I take some male cats only, that prevents catsplosions until some stupid migrants bring females. Either there are some unforeseen "accidents" or I just butcher all the female kittens. Works well.

Wouldn't cats die of old age and leave you with a vermin problem once they become extinct at your site due to the population not renewing?
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 02:06:32 pm »

Wouldn't cats die of old age and leave you with a vermin problem once they become extinct at your site due to the population not renewing?
That takes a long time and you can sometimes buy new ones from caravans. If that's too risky for your taste keep one female and butcher or cage all the female kittens.