Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Im out of ideas.  (Read 4384 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Im out of ideas.
« on: June 17, 2012, 08:36:52 pm »

Someone give me an embark I haven't done yet. Something unique.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
Re: Im out of ideas.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 09:12:58 pm »

Someone give me an embark I haven't done yet. Something unique.
Terrifying Ocean bordering a Terrifying Desert. Start with only peasants and the bare essentials (axe, pick, drinks, food, etc). See how long you last.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 10:00:54 pm »

A Haunted Biome, as close to a Dark Goblin Fortress as possible. 

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 10:16:20 pm »

Shipwreck embark: Coast, only take items/livestock that would probably float.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 10:18:52 pm »

An island embark small enough to have water on all four sides of your embark.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 11:11:23 pm »

Terrifying Mountain + Terrifying Desert AND a lair somewhere in there, (And its gotta be either a titan or megabeast lair, no cheetas or troglodites, but night trolls are acceptable.)

For added challenge, no brooks or rivers allowed.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 11:27:36 pm »

Terrifying Mountain + Terrifying Desert AND a lair somewhere in there, (And its gotta be either a titan or megabeast lair, no cheetas or troglodites, but night trolls are acceptable.)

For added challenge, no brooks or rivers allowed.

I like this one. Anyone got a worldgen? Preferably no brooks or river.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 07:56:33 am »

do the hippie challenge: no creature dies (except from old age)
all dwarfs are vegetarian (easy) and all hostiles that come to your map have to be treated in a nonlethal way (hard)
guess you will need a lot of cage traps
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 01:48:05 pm »

Noah's Ark challenge: Build a "boat" out of wood on the surface, fill it with caged animals (male and female), wall off the edges of the map, then flood the surface with water, killing most of your dwarves.  After a year, let the waters recede and repopulate the world.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 09:53:15 pm »

Well, the best I could find (after 7 worldgens) for an embark was an evil mountain / evil ocean spot. I just embarked and it rains elf blood over the ocean. It is now an ocean of elf blood. I have brought little food and drink, but brought war lions. We will see what other horrors are in store in Guildsavage.

Oh, and wolverines.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 10:13:26 pm »

Elven Fortress: Wood items only, no meat, all non-wood items are to be atomsmashed.
or embark on a goblin fort. not near one, but actually embark there. don't bring in any military though.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 11:15:35 pm »

:o i just started exploring the possibilities of justembark. That's getting done pronto.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 11:26:20 pm »

Spartan challenge:
  • Dwarves must be full-time military or full-time workers (you can choose once when they migrate to your fort)(trade is done by workers whereas political leadership is military)(you can have off-duty military, but they shouldn't have any skills enabled)(military is only males)
  • If possible, equip the military with bronze gear, preferring spears, swords, shields, and red cloaks
  • Don't use doors, drawbridges, moats, walling off, or traps. Instead, guard the area with your military.
  • You probably want a high population cap, and you should have no child cap
  • Train male children as military, and female children as workers
  • Make sure to mod back in the elven diplomat and appoint a dwarven noble, so you can kick the elf into a pit after he threatens you over tree cutting
  • Fighting enemies in a choke point in an underground tunnel is an acceptable strategy
  • Room value can be increased by engraving, but valuable items are only for trade

Did I miss anything? I really don't know how long such a fort could last in the current version.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 02:53:15 am »

How about a no-magma challenge? Not just no Boatmurdered-style doomsday weapons, no magma for anything.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 03:11:44 am »

Ironborn fortress. Seaside embark with only a few resources: little soil, scarce wood, no high-value metals. No trade, kill anything non-dwarven that enters the map. Looting the caravan corpses is encouraged, you've payed the Iron Price. Mod back elven and human diplomats so they can declare war. Build a giant statue of Cthulhu the Drowned God, with pools where you (usually) almost-drown your dwarves and drown your prisoners.

Bonus point for drowning the dwarf caravan too, they abandoned the Old Ways by paying with gold to foreigners.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."
Pages: [1] 2