Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hunting for food  (Read 2709 times)

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunting for food
« on: June 18, 2012, 03:37:19 am »

Hi there,

I havn't found anything about it...

Is there a good way to find wildlife to get food?
Ok, I can go into the woods and then in detail mode I can search for wildlife but this could be a loooong way to go. Do you have good hints to find something to eat?

As a suggestion it would be nice to have something like a hunting mode (like sneaking) to find wildlife in the overview mode.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting for food
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 04:14:03 am »

Recruit a companion and wander around until they run off in a random direction. There you go! Your very own wildlife compass!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 05:23:36 am »

Check around beaches for sea otters, albatrosses, and slow-moving crabs. If you sleep on the beach (make sure your biome display shows the ocean / sea name), sometimes sharks or sea serpents will wash up in the middle of the night (I think it's technically an ambush) and they have a ton of meat on them.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 06:58:50 am »

Yes, it was confirmed in the Monster Island thread that sea animals that are AMBUSHPREDATORS will fling themselves on land to attack you and then promptly air-drown.

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:53:16 am »

Check around beaches for sea otters, albatrosses, and slow-moving crabs. If you sleep on the beach (make sure your biome display shows the ocean / sea name), sometimes sharks or sea serpents will wash up in the middle of the night (I think it's technically an ambush) and they have a ton of meat on them.
Best ambush ever.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 01:40:08 pm »

Best ambush ever.
In the few seconds of life they have on land, DF sharks seem to be hellbent on eating adventurer heads.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 03:37:13 pm »

Go to catacombs and snag a few gems, then go buy a bag off food to snack on.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 03:44:16 pm »

Recruit a companion and wander around until they run off in a random direction. There you go! Your very own wildlife compass!
Might as well use them for something!

If you ever need to cross a river, they'll make sure to go hunt that pike/turtle/alligator/hippo/anything really, even while drowning... So you don't need to go out of your way to get food.

EDIT: Buying food's for suckers.
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 03:53:11 pm »

There's a really effortless way to get both food and water you know. Look around town and go inside the houses. In the furnished houses there are often large bags filled with berries, and you can take a whole bunch of them and they will feed you indefinitely. No one will care because no one actually owns the bags. But that's not all! Take the bag and go to a river or brook, and then interact with the bag to fill it with a hundred units of water. Bam. This tends to work best in warmer climates.

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 03:57:21 pm »

Or, fill your waterskin, and when you only have one water left, drop that water, and refill your waterskin. In colder climates, light a bonfire and heat your waterskin.

I didn't know about the berries, though.
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 08:25:17 pm »

Become a vampire.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 12:49:03 pm »

Become a vampire.
1. No, that's disgusting.
2. Not that kind of hunting.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 07:38:50 pm »

I enjoy starting as a peasant crab fisherman using maces. Butchering crabs gives a lot of meat due to their legs and they are slow and weak, having trouble penetrating basic clothing with their claws usually causing bruising. Maces seem to be the least effective against them so the adventurer gets more weapon skill from a single crab. I like carrying the corpses back to town to sell. This drops the corpses on the ground which you can butcher and pick the meat up to sell. Basically you charge the merchant to butcher the crab after they pay a bounty for the crab itself.

It really makes losing the adventurer more Fun once I get bored and go after my first bandit or village vampire.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 01:27:24 am »

Also, you can just visit an NC lair, they usually have some meat in there.

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 03:49:25 am »

I like carrying the corpses back to town to sell.
Only a DF player could get away with that sentence.

I'm imagining an adventurer wandering through the town streets, calling "Crabs! I've got crabs!" and getting odd looks from the townsfolk.

Still, good knowledge about crabs and butchering.
Pages: [1] 2