Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Toady is working fast, damn!  (Read 25200 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Toady is working fast, damn!
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:46:30 pm »

At this rate hes gonna be done and release the next update in a month or so.

Opinions? I mean, he has gotten three things down already. Not including the new AI, new combat, and thugs.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Toady is working fast, damn!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:50:46 pm »

They don't call him Toady for nothing.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 01:43:08 am »

The big things go by quick. Its when toady gets to the little miniscule details that months fly by.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 01:49:53 am »

Toady always adds new stuff very fast but then later spends most of the time polishing the stuff and fixing some worst bugs before he finally releases.
Still he works in pretty impressive speed recently. Minecart release took only 6,5 weeks and was one big pile of pure awesome.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Socializator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress CZ
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 07:23:28 am »

I sort of feel that he is derailing from his current goal already though :)  Attack/move rewrite underway...
I dont mean to criticise/complain though. It is just amusing how quickly the things diverge from development arc. Caravan arc with vampires, necromancers and werecreatures is still my favourity prime example  ;D
Navštivte českou Dwarf Fortress komunitu a fanpage!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 07:49:27 am »

Toady is like me playing skyrim, i always go "i'm going to do a main quest!"
but then i see a bandit hideout.
or i get a sidequest.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 12:47:15 pm »

Best part is that the necessary sidesteps tend to be as good or better than the primary goal.

Were gonna have cities? And werecreatures? AND INTERACTIONS?!

I doubt I even understand all the changes in the combat mechanics, but the movement/attack speed separation and counter attacks alone sound like adding an entire new dimension to fighting strategies!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 01:33:33 pm »

I doubt I even understand all the changes in the combat mechanics, but the movement/attack speed separation and counter attacks alone sound like adding an entire new dimension to fighting strategies!
They do, essentially The movement thing prevents super fast animals from getting multiple hits, and the  other thing is making attacks take longer, instead of simultaneusly occuring.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 01:14:26 am »

Toady is like me playing skyrim, i always go "i'm going to do a main quest!"
but then i see a bandit hideout.
or i get a sidequest.

Skyrim has a main quest line? 
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 04:31:47 am »

Agreed, he always ends up with feature creep, but it's always something that's going to have to be added sometime, and it's always got a reason for being there earlier, usually because it's making the main aim for that release smoother or more immersive, simply a case of "well I'll have to rewrite all this when I get around to doing that... so I might as well just do that first for this release and save work later".
In the long run, this means lots of stuff he needs to do is actually already done. It also means that whenever he posts a devlog saying "Next we're doing..." I always read through it, and get to drool about what might actually end up in the next release...
I think it's great, basically. :D
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 04:40:15 am »

The Movement/Attack split was on the docket to be done anyway, but as Toady describe, the linked between Movement and Attacks are growing even more noticeable.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Peacemaker636

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 10:28:09 am »

I am quite pleased with the current development.  Even though he's been regularly going several days between devlogs, it seems like each log he posts he has already roughed out one of the major new features.  I am so excited...this release is going to be groundbreaking.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 11:01:00 am »

I am quite pleased with the current development.  Even though he's been regularly going several days between devlogs, it seems like each log he posts he has already roughed out one of the major new features.  I am so excited...this release is going to be EARTH-STRIKING!!

FTFY

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 11:11:22 am »

New theory!
Toady is the great random himself, and therefore he is so random in developement!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sarkovar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 11:25:31 pm »

I still prefer the old theory that some crazy DF fan kidnapped Scamps and is holding him hostage for faster development.
Me: FLAMING BABY FLAIL'S COMIN' AT YA DEMONS.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11