Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: about to move the boot partition  (Read 956 times)

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
about to move the boot partition
« on: June 23, 2012, 08:59:12 am »

When I decided to try linux (mint, debian)in dual boot with win7 I thought I would get bored pretty fast and keeping it on a small partition would be a good idea. Now I completely filled my 10gb partition, I dont use windows anymore and I need more space. I fiddled around with gparted, now all I need to extend my / partition is to move the partition containing the grub. When I started to do it, gparted displayed that my system would not boot anymore if I moved the partition. what should I do? copy it to where I need it (I doubt it would do it) then delete the original, move it or... since in sudo I cant launch grub (please install grub legacy) maybe I should reinstall grub?
help gladly accepted :)
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: about to move the boot partition
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:44:15 am »

Unfortunately, I have no advice for your current predicament, but i do want to say this: Yay, another convert!

That is all.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: about to move the boot partition
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 12:02:32 pm »

When I decided to try linux (mint, debian)in dual boot with win7 I thought I would get bored pretty fast and keeping it on a small partition would be a good idea. Now I completely filled my 10gb partition, I dont use windows anymore and I need more space. I fiddled around with gparted, now all I need to extend my / partition is to move the partition containing the grub. When I started to do it, gparted displayed that my system would not boot anymore if I moved the partition. what should I do? copy it to where I need it (I doubt it would do it) then delete the original, move it or... since in sudo I cant launch grub (please install grub legacy) maybe I should reinstall grub?
help gladly accepted :)
Technically you can reinstall grub from a live cd or usb to fix it again
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
this seems easy.