Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hospital Glitch  (Read 4452 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Hospital Glitch
« on: June 20, 2012, 07:37:40 am »

Ok, not sure if this has been covered, I didn't see anything in the bug thread... Unless I missed it...

But occasionally I'll get some wounded Dwarf placed in the hospital, who doesn't seem to actually be IN the hospital.
He will be in a bed, but not seem to know it and never actually rest.  I had one person go insane because he never could sleep.
I deconstructed the bed from a Dwarf, but he just STOOD there.  His arm was injured so it was not like he couldn't move...

What da hey?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Hospital Glitch
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 07:56:33 am »

Ok, not sure if this has been covered, I didn't see anything in the bug thread... Unless I missed it...

But occasionally I'll get some wounded Dwarf placed in the hospital, who doesn't seem to actually be IN the hospital.
He will be in a bed, but not seem to know it and never actually rest.  I had one person go insane because he never could sleep.
I deconstructed the bed from a Dwarf, but he just STOOD there.  His arm was injured so it was not like he couldn't move...

What da hey?

I had similar situation recently, when two dwarves were designed to be put into one bed. Actually, this is quite frequent, and some rescuers even drag two bodies simultaneously. In the case I had, one of dwarves died on the route. The one put in bed wasn't really in bed, he even got tired after some time. It was possible to deconstruct the bed under him and store it, construct it again, despite him not moving away, make a channel on him (trying to make channel from under him, one level below, was not successful), and finally to construct a bridge on him. When I ordered the bridge to be connected to a lever (my intention was to throw him into air) someone finally moved him to a neighbouring bed, where his status changed to Rest. This happened exactly two months and a day after he was brought to the bed initially.

By the way, he got infection from his wounds a couple of months later, but so far hasn't died. Other wounded were also infected, despite cleaning with fresh water and soap, but also haven't died, I even have a case of guy who was operated 10 years earlier and got infected after several years, and still lives. So I'd suggest to try dropping a bridge on him. Retractable one, of course.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 08:04:42 am »

Interesting...

Well I just tried to build something, and it says "Building present" and for the life of me I can't find anything there.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:19:36 am »

Is this related to the hauling changes (are you playing v34.08 or higher)?
I've never seen this so far in 34.07.

Maybe "gather all the socks" and "gather all the injured" is queueing up together.
If it is related to hauling changes, make sure it's mentioned in the bug report.

Are they trying to put the dwarves in barrels?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 08:25:50 am »

Well I just tried to build something, and it says "Building present" and for the life of me I can't find anything there.

And there's no bed, and you can't destroy the building? Maybe try to localise the building parts, hide the tile (d-b-h), then find the hidden items in stocks menu. May take a while, because if the items are built, there will be no "H" marker until you expand the view, and the lists can be long. One exception is parts of constructions (blocks, bars or stones) because they are visible even when in the contracted mode.

Is this related to the hauling changes (are you playing v34.08 or higher)?
I've never seen this so far in 34.07.

I have this in .34.07, I haven't upgraded this fortress to the new system with minecarts.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:05:02 am by Saiko Kila »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 08:29:23 am »

playing on an older version, trying to move the current person by building things on them.

Found what was under the person, it was  bed that was oddly "not therE" it said it had not been constructed. had it deconstructed, again, now hoping somoen can move him

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 08:32:40 am »

I guess this bug is just as old as a healthcare itself. Sometimes, when injures aren't that bad to knock them out dwarves refuse to rest, yet they cant do anything else too and don't trigger feeding jobs. One such dwarf is dying of thirst and hunger in my hospital right now. However I had few other times it solved by itself.
In older versions I used runesmith to lower their toughness so they could pass out already, but I don't know whether it's updated.
Also, old trick with reinjuring should be easier to perform in this version considering falling items do damage.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 08:43:51 am »

YES! That os what is going, the people this Always happens to seem to be those that are "just" barely injured. Nothing serious.. They don't pass out or sleep, they just sit, waiting, twittering their thumbs, till they eventually starve to death!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 08:55:10 am »

EDIT:

Well that is just RUDE!
building things wont move him... I have, in order, built and deconstructed a Bridge, a table, and a chair under him, and no one moves him.

eLcHi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 09:16:03 am »

Had that happen to me too.

What i did was first try and deconstruct the bed - no change.

Then i removed that tile from the hospital zone and he was transported to another bed and the doctor took care of him after that.

He was just sitting there for a month or two waiting to be diagnosed till i forced his move.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 09:22:31 am »

I find injuring them often fixes it. Dump some stuff on him from above.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 12:02:42 pm »

Drop a piano on him or build something that blocks the tile, like a statue.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 12:55:24 pm »

Ive had that happen in .34.07 to my militia commander of all people. A novice diagnoser, diagnosed him, cleaned his wounds and then left but the commander would just be there and no one would feed him or give him anything to drink. Not even deconstructing the bed made him get up.

I lost a good dwarf that day.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 08:59:25 pm »

UPDATE!!!

Do not know if this is pure coincidence, but after trying everything, I dug out the spot under him, and told someone to channel the spot he was standing in. Figure i'd drop him one level to "re" injure him.

Wellll....

A miner comes rushing up and MOVES him into the bed next to him before digging!
We need someone to test this again to see if this is a sure fire solution!

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 11:52:26 am »

Yeah, its probably not so much as he moved him on the bed and tucked him in nicely so much as he threw him on the same tile the bed was at because he was on the way. I belive constructing anything in that tile would have had the same effect.

In my case I decronstructed the bed and then re-constructed it where the dwarf was lying. The builder just moved the dwarf into an corner of the room, build the bed and left.

I think it treats these bugged dwarfs as objects or something.
Pages: [1] 2