Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Queen consort is a what?  (Read 12649 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Queen consort is a what?
« on: June 20, 2012, 10:55:22 am »

The King just arrived at my fortress, along with his Queen Consort.  She's a 529 year-old goblin. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A) a goblin?  Eww.  2) My world is only 508 years old. Is she lying about her age?  Is she gonna start sucking blood or raising all those corpses I have lying all over the place? Three) She has been content, but she's not gonna go whack out on us and start killing things is she?  D) That's just weird.

edit: Just noticed the King is a goblin also.  Gah!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 11:05:30 am by ledgekindred »
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Queen consort is a what?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 11:05:16 am »

A. Either your civ took over a Goblin one, or the other way around.
B. When it says "first of her/his kind", it means that they were alive before the beginning of the world itself. If you embark in year five or so, most creatures, including your own dwarves, will be like this.
C. Probably not. Just keep her happy.
D. Everybody has their thing.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 11:06:01 am »

"She is one of the first of her kind" means that she is older then the world.
But probably a vampire tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 11:11:10 am »

Goblins have no max age unless that was changed recently, so like the elves it is possible to have one who was the first of their kind after 500 years.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 11:11:28 am »

I thought goblins were immortal?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 11:13:06 am »

They aren't vampires. Goblins have no max age - it's just rare to find an old one due to wars and such.

So it looks like we have two possibilities:

1. Your civ was conquered by goblins.
2. Your civ conquered a goblin civ, and this particular goblin couple were dwarfy enough to become king and queen.

Maybe copy the save, abandon, and check it out in legends mode?

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 11:13:45 am »

I figured the age thing was just because Goblins didn't die off from old age but I wasn't aware they could "exist" and age before the world was officially created.  Interesting.  I think this demands a look through legends mode. 

Their current jobs are both listed as "Tame."  And they don't show up in the unit list when I try to assign the King's Throne Room.  With the demands for a Throne Room unable to be met, this will probably end poorly...
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 11:18:48 am »

An unfortunate accident would solve the problem.

"Oh bonkers, we just killed our goblin nobles, lad!"
"Meh. Would die anyway, when Urist McGoblinhater wakes up."

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 11:21:46 am »

She's a 529 year-old goblin.
Hot. Especially as goblins are small, green and have weird hair colors  ;)
A) a goblin?  Eww.  2) My world is only 508 years old. Is she lying about her age?  Is she gonna start sucking blood or raising all those corpses I have lying all over the place? Three) She has been content, but she's not gonna go whack out on us and start killing things is she?  D) That's just weird.
A, two, three, D - they should count like this in the army when marching somewhere :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 12:02:24 pm »

The king is a dwarf? If so, he just likes exotic girls, it seems. Probably too much Star Wars when he was younger. I'm more curious about dwarves' apparent ability to judge age of goblins just by looking at them. A layman wouldn't know whether it is "about five hundred years" or "three hundred years". Such connoisseurs in dwarven society…  :P

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 12:10:28 pm »

I figured the age thing was just because Goblins didn't die off from old age but I wasn't aware they could "exist" and age before the world was officially created.  Interesting.  I think this demands a look through legends mode. 

Their current jobs are both listed as "Tame."  And they don't show up in the unit list when I try to assign the King's Throne Room.  With the demands for a Throne Room unable to be met, this will probably end poorly...

They don't exist before the world is generated; the world is generated with at least some of it's creatures fully-grown and adults. Kinda like the biblical Adam was an adult from the get-go.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 12:16:21 pm »

Legends mode, seriously.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 12:18:31 pm »

An unfortunate accident would solve the problem.

"Oh bonkers, we just killed our goblin nobles, lad!"
"Meh. Would die anyway, when Urist McGoblinhater wakes up."

Seems like a waste. Even if they don't turn out like Cacame, I'm pretty sure non-dwarf nobles don't make demands or mandates and don't get upset by requirements that aren't met.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 12:25:24 pm »

We are forgetting the possibility that they are imposters.

Or maybe goblin lawmakers who got lost, and went for the oldest trick on the +limestone pillar+

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 12:26:43 pm »

Is there any way to edit job listings or creatures to make them appear in your dwarf lists? Maybe using Runesmith?

I find this all most entertaining and it would be a shame if they were to go to waste. Wait, can goblins tantrum?

Anyway, you should totally make an obsidian tower for them to live in.
Pages: [1] 2 3