Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Queen consort is a what?  (Read 12650 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Re: Queen consort is a what?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 01:12:44 pm »

I've been digging around through legends mode and I can find very little about King Dodok 'Mirroredpaddles' Onuliden and Queen Sodel 'Saintsaves' Tolunnomal.  They both worship Teling, god of lakes, coasts, wisdom and scholarship, and who seems to have a thing for pangolins since he keeps cursing dorfs to being were-pangolins.  Dodok and Sodel seemed to have wandered the world anonymously for almost 250 years.  In 242, Dodok became a potter in Routbasements and in 247, Sodel became a farmer.  (The first goblins began becoming citizens of Routebasements in 97.)  In 253 they were married and Sodel changed jobs to become a gem cutter.  In 304, Sodel "began scouting the areas around Routbasement" which is presumably when she gained her military skills.  Then nothing happened, except presumably they lived together, working happily in meagre jobs, until 429, when Dodok was suddenly named King of Routebasements.  He seemed to have ruled rather peacefully for 80 years until, in 508, he and his Queen migrated to the fortress of Shiphelp.  And then their story continues...

In other words, it seems like kind of a sweet story of a couple of wandering peasants, getting captured by the local dwarven civilization, then settling down in simple jobs for several hundred years, until finally becoming Royalty.  Rather a Disney-movie-esque type story.

Despite being Goblins, I think I like these two. 

As long as they don't start tantrumming.

If anyone is better at digging through Legends mode to try to figure out where they came from or what they were up to, I can upload the save or the xml legends dump to dffd.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 05:38:31 pm »

i've wound up having similar happen, except the goblin wound up being my civ's general and he worshiped the god of fire. which i took to be a good thing, since the civ's queen was a rare-caste fire-breathing dwarf who happened to have been turned into a vampire...

i just can't wait until these civ members from other races start getting treated as actual civ members by the game, so we can control them...well, to the same extend we can control our dwarves, at least...

my goblin general, like your royals, was older than the world, bumbled around doing not much of anything for a few hundred years, then after a fight with neighboring hobgoblins (sort of a mix of goblin and human...more militant goblins, but occasionally decide to trade instead of attack) and the dwarf general died, the goblin was thrust into that position...and somehow managed to beat the hobgoblins back.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 07:51:57 pm »

Incidentally, what mods are you using?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 08:11:46 pm »

Their current jobs are both listed as "Tame."  And they don't show up in the unit list when I try to assign the King's Throne Room.  With the demands for a Throne Room unable to be met, this will probably end poorly...
Is there any way to edit job listings or creatures to make them appear in your dwarf lists? Maybe using Runesmith?
I believe that rune smith has a way to deal with this, yes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 08:17:23 pm »

Their current jobs are both listed as "Tame."  And they don't show up in the unit list when I try to assign the King's Throne Room.  With the demands for a Throne Room unable to be met, this will probably end poorly...
Is there any way to edit job listings or creatures to make them appear in your dwarf lists? Maybe using Runesmith?

Runesmith is 31.25, isnt it?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 08:20:57 pm »

Runesmith is 31.25, isnt it?
Possible. I don't use it so I wouldn't know.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 08:28:30 pm »

One thing seems strange about this scenario: they're older than the world itself, yet they have Dwarven names. Normally, you only get non-native units with 'native' names if they are born into the civilization - if they leave one civ and join a different one (e.g. after being conquered), they retain their original names (just as Cacame Awemedinade retained his Elven name).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 08:56:18 pm »

doesnt the 'has the appearance of someone 500 years old" thing usually mean its a vampire?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 08:57:39 pm »

doesnt the 'has the appearance of someone 500 years old" thing usually mean its a vampire?

Immortal races have it. And elves+goblins CANNOT be vampires because they are immortal.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 10:20:13 pm »

I'm not positive, but I'm fairly certain that mortal dwarves that are "among the first of their kind" also are described as having "the appearance of someone X years old", so the descriptor does not necessarily mean they are vampires (or otherwise immortal).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 10:43:12 pm »

Not vampires, as they have now been in the fort née Mountainhome for long enough for them to have gotten hungry, but no blood drainings have occurred.

One thing seems strange about this scenario: they're older than the world itself, yet they have Dwarven names. Normally, you only get non-native units with 'native' names if they are born into the civilization - if they leave one civ and join a different one (e.g. after being conquered), they retain their original names (just as Cacame Awemedinade retained his Elven name).

This ... is puzzling ... There is nothing in their history to suggest that they are anything but happy members of the dwarven civilization ever.  Again, I could certainly export the legends mode stuff if anyone wanted to dig further into it.  I'm not that familiar with Legends so I don't know how to tease out the minutiae that someone else might be able to.

I'm not positive, but I'm fairly certain that mortal dwarves that are "among the first of their kind" also are described as having "the appearance of someone X years old", so the descriptor does not necessarily mean they are vampires (or otherwise immortal).

Yep, I've started very early worlds before (year 50) and all my dwarves had this same phrase in their description.

They have no room, since I can't assign a room to them, but they don't seem to mind sleeping on the floor of the common room.  Their job status has stayed at "Tame" for their entire tenure.  They have been "Quite Content" since they arrived.  The most trouble they have caused is the King would like "a door in his room" which I would be more than happy to consent to, if I could give him a room at all.  I like the backstory they are developing as just a couple of peasants who worked and worked their way to becoming benevolent and happy royalty of the Dwarven civilization.  Putting aside any prejudice, having come from humble backgrounds themselves and accepted willingly into Dwarven society, they have no wish to cause conflict or strife, just to rule peaceably and for everyone's well-being.  The fact that our Baron is also a decent member of nobility1 probably inspired them to come to Shiphelp.   

Not quite as awe-inspiring as a Cacame, but dangit, now I like them!

1 - Poor guy's wife got drained when he was just a Count, leaving him with their only daughter.  So I guess that explains his fetish for ordering coffins.  Even so, he's a Legendary Cook and barely causes a fuss.
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 03:03:00 am »

"Tame"?
You might be able to 'pasture' them in their quarters as if they were pets/animals.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 08:04:01 am »

Immortal races have it. And elves+goblins CANNOT be vampires because they are immortal.
Untrue.  I have generated a world where the leader of a Dwarven civ was a goblin vampire.

Edit: Here is where I posted about it.  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103697.msg3072345#msg3072345

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:07:27 am by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 10:05:02 am »

Just post the save already so we can look at what happned in Legends mode!!!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 12:03:05 pm »

"Tame"?
You might be able to 'pasture' them in their quarters as if they were pets/animals.

They do show up on the pasture list.  I'm hesitant to do that because then they'd never leave their room.  As it is, they hang out in the common area and socialize with the rest of the citizens.  The King is now also the Mayor, which is convenient since he is issuing no mandates.

Just post the save already so we can look at what happned in Legends mode!!!

Done!  You should be able to find them from their names or civ information.   (The current fort is named Shiphelp and is part of The Ink of Dwellers.)  Let me know if you can find anything else about these two!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6542
Pages: 1 [2] 3