Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Queen consort is a what?  (Read 12610 times)

Sarkovar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Queen consort is a what?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 03:37:38 pm »

This may be off topic but a count is actually a higher rank of nobility than a baron. A Duke controls a duchy which consists of multiple counties, a Count controls a County which may or may not have one or more baronies, and a Baron only owns a castle and the land around it. So somewhere along the line your count got his county taken away from him and was left with only a castle, or Outpost to be more specific. It makes for an interesting story nonetheless, I wonder what your Baron did to get his landed title as a count taken away from him?
Me: FLAMING BABY FLAIL'S COMIN' AT YA DEMONS.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 05:47:35 pm »

I think he meant Duke. I believe you need a Duke for the king to Migrate.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 07:10:50 pm »

The Ink of Dwellers, Dwarves
 Worship List
  Utost the Earthen Diamond, deity: metals
  Kovest, deity: wealth
  Obur the Bold Brain, deity: fortresses, war
  Kadol, deity: jewels, minerals
  Oggez Cobaltochre the Gorge of Coal, deity: mountains, caverns
  Ud, deity: courage
  Teling, deity: scholarship, wisdom, coasts, lakes
 king List

• Uzol Fliershot (b.??? d. 9, Reign Began: 1), *** Original Line, Never Married MALE DWARF

No Children
      Worshipped Kadol (6%)

• Dodok Paddledmurder (b.??? d. 23, Reign Began: 10), *** New Line, Never Married MALE DWARF

No Children
      Worshipped Obur the Bold Brain (97%)

• Kubuk Soldpillars (b.???, Reign Began: 24), *** New Line, Married (d. 26) FEMALE DWARF NECROMANCER

9 Children -- Ages: 506 505 504 500 496 494 490 488 484
      Worships Teling (99%)

• Bembul Chuckedcities (b.52 d. 278, Reign Began: 86), Inherited, Married (d. 140) MALE DWARF

No Children
      Worshipped Teling (100%)

• Zasit Boltpanted (b.167 d. 327, Reign Began: 189), *** New Line, Married (d. 330) FEMALE DWARF

No Children
      Worshipped Oggez Cobaltochre the Gorge of Coal (10%)

• Amost Paddledcharm (b.205 d. 364, Reign Began: 327), *** New Line, Married (d. 353) MALE DWARF

No Children
      Worshipped Ud (74%)

• Onol Hameboot (b.225 d. 375, Reign Began: 364), *** New Line, Married (d. 377) FEMALE DWARF

No Children

• Rigoth Canyonbean (b.278 d. 429, Reign Began: 375), *** New Line, Never Married FEMALE DWARF, DIED OLD AGE

No Children
      Worshipped Ud (100%)

• Dodok Mirroredpaddles (b.???, Reign Began: 429), *** New Line, Married MALE GOBLIN

No Children
      Worships Teling (100%)

In 242 became a potter in Routbasements. MOUNTAIN HALL
In 249 began worshipping Teling. DWARVEN GOD - HAD GOBLINE WORSHIPPERS STARTING IN 106.
In 249 became a member of The Doctrines of Washing. DWARVEN RELIGION FORMED IN 182 - HAD MANY GOBLIN MEMBERS.
In 253 married Sodel Saintstaves.
In 429 became the king of The Ink of Dwellers.

Sodel Saintstaves
In 247 became a farmer in Strapmanors. MOUNTAIN HALL
In 253 married Sodel Saintstaves.
In 253 stopped being a farmer in Strapmanors.
In 253 settled in Routbasements.
In 253 became a gem cutter in Routbasements. MOUNTAIN HALL
In 297 began worshipping Teling.
In 297 became a member of The Doctrines of Washing.
In 304 began scouting the area around Routbasements.

Checking the map progression through history, The Inks of Dwellers came into conflict with The Midnight of Shade, a Goblin civilization.  The Dwarves were attacking Goblin Dark Fortresses, which are subsequently shown on the map as belonging to The Ink of Dwellers.  They first attacked in 110, and continued to fight off and on with peace agreements every decade or so.  This may be how the goblins in question became Dwarven citizens, even though they were among the first of their kind, but it does not explain how they got Dwarven names.

Edit:  I notice that this is a Large Region, with no culling of historical figures.  I believe there is a problem with these maps and their histories.  In particular, I have found them not be be reproducable from their parameters.  I also have seen some evidence that the histories are incomplete.  That is why I no longer play Large Regions, even though I prefer having more choices.  I want the history to be meaningful, at least as much as it can be with a game.  Although if you work much with real-life geneaology, you begin to think DF history is pretty reliable by comparision.  *laugh*
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:19:13 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2012, 10:21:51 am »

Maybe the goblins were named after some Dwarves the goblins fought? Out of spite for their children?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2012, 01:38:45 pm »

doesnt the 'has the appearance of someone 500 years old" thing usually mean its a vampire?

Immortal races have it. And elves+goblins CANNOT be vampires because they are immortal.
Untrue.  I have generated a world where the leader of a Dwarven civ was a goblin vampire.

Edit: Here is where I posted about it.  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103697.msg3072345#msg3072345

I guess he was thinking of the fact that immortal races (usually elves & goblins) can't become necromancers, since they never become obsessed with their own mortality. I guess they can still be cursed by gods to prowl the night in search of blood, or to transform into were-creatures during the full moon.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2012, 12:58:53 pm »

I like these guys.

I imagine the old Queen dying with no heir, and an emergency council being held to determine who to replace her.  All the Urist McNobles have a history of making impossible mandates and ordering the hammering of innocent craftsdwarves, and nobody is looking forward to putting a tyrant on the throne.  In stumbles the goblin couple that have been honest and friendly and helpful for literally centuries, and who don't seem to even understand what a mandate is, let alone why they would make one.  A few days later, the lucky couple is standing at the coronation ceremony smiling and trying to figure out what the hell just happened.

"Can... can I have a door in my room?"
"Yes your majesty."

Followed by simple tears of joy from a humble gemcutter who never knew how far he might go in life.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 01:43:02 pm »

For curiousitys sake, make them available for adoption, heh.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 03:10:49 pm »

I like these guys.

I imagine the old Queen dying with no heir, and an emergency council being held to determine who to replace her.  All the Urist McNobles have a history of making impossible mandates and ordering the hammering of innocent craftsdwarves, and nobody is looking forward to putting a tyrant on the throne.  In stumbles the goblin couple that have been honest and friendly and helpful for literally centuries, and who don't seem to even understand what a mandate is, let alone why they would make one.  A few days later, the lucky couple is standing at the coronation ceremony smiling and trying to figure out what the hell just happened.

"Yes your majesty."

Followed by simple tears of joy from a humble gemcutter who never knew how far he might go in life.

Yes, this!   :)

And I probably meant Duke.  Although at the time his wife was drained I believe he was still a Baron.  So, the current Duke has suffered for years from the pain of his wife being drained by a human bloodsucker, leaving his only daughter as the sole remainder of his bloodline.

Imagine his surprise when the King and Queen show up and they are greenskins.  Then imagine the further surprise when they are just a couple of nice folks. 

And then I can also imagine the patient, un-room-assignable King, standing around going, "It's ok, I just, you know, want a door.  Somewhere.  Maybe put it on someone else's room.  It's really ok by me.  Just a door... somewhere... Err..."  and smiling nervously.  ("Eventually someone is going to figure out I'm not a dwarf.  Right?  I mean.  Might as well enjoy it while it lasts?")

Also I should mention, the King is now also Mayor.  "They like me!  They really, really like me!"  And they are both still "Quite content."
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

DrTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_RATIONAL_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2012, 08:16:30 pm »

In spite of being Goblins that we all know and hate, they are probably the best King and Queen out of any civilization this game has created. They must live forever! THEY MUST.
"I'm just so FUCKIN' HAPPY!"
*throws chair across the room*

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2012, 11:53:06 pm »

Immortalize them in a community fort.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2012, 12:08:42 am »

I like these guys.

"Yes your majesty."

Yes, this!   :)

And I probably meant Duke.  Although at the time his wife was drained I believe he was still a Baron.  So, the current Duke has suffered for years from the pain of his wife being drained by a human bloodsucker, leaving his only daughter as the sole remainder of his bloodline.

Imagine his surprise when the King and Queen show up and they are greenskins.  Then imagine the further surprise when they are just a couple of nice folks. 

And then I can also imagine the patient, un-room-assignable King, standing around going, "It's ok, I just, you know, want a door.  Somewhere.  Maybe put it on someone else's room.  It's really ok by me.  Just a door... somewhere... Err..."  and smiling nervously.  ("Eventually someone is going to figure out I'm not a dwarf.  Right?  I mean.  Might as well enjoy it while it lasts?")

Also I should mention, the King is now also Mayor.  "They like me!  They really, really like me!"  And they are both still "Quite content."

Imagine their horror when they realise there home is being invaded by hundreds of people that look JUST like them. And a squad of dwarves kick down their doors.

"DONT KILL US WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT."

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2012, 01:34:34 am »

With the demands for a Throne Room unable to be met, this will probably end poorly...

I've had some clown kings once, and here's what I learned: non-dwarf kings are the best. They don't make demands or mandates, and their mood is always 'content.'

The king and queen won't care at all about their lack of room, all you have to do is keep them alive.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2012, 11:17:05 am »

all you have to do is keep them alive.

How hard could that be?

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2012, 11:40:46 am »

all you have to do is keep them alive.

How hard could that be?

lol, easy if you pay attention to where they hang out. hard if you don't.
Pages: 1 2 [3]