Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: For Glory and Adamantine: Steelbeard II (34.11) OVERSEER LOTTO ACTIVE  (Read 22275 times)

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile

1st Hematite, 103
Summer's here. That's one quarter of my time here gone. Gotta step up if I want to hand off a functional fortress at the end of the year.

10th Hematite, 103
Wood bay done. Now our woodcutter can make beds without being distracted by louse men... Crazy Cow still struggles to move up stones to entrance level. We have a free wheelbarrow, but he doesn't use it.

16th Hematite, 103
Stone bay done. Now we can start making little knick-knacks to sell to the caravan.

18th Hematite, 103
ACK! Mosquito women! Get them away from me!

10th Malachite, 103
We have migrants. Sending out Corai to get a survey of skills.

11th Malachire, 103
It's just one family:A peasant, his stonecrafter wife, and four kids. The peasant, named Splint, has some skills in axemanship and armor/shield use. Splint is immediately promoted to militia captain.

27th Malachire, 103
Starting work on Habitat Level. 28 basic apartments, with plans to double if the need arises.

1st Limestone, 103
Autumn comes. I'm halfway through my reign.

1st Timber, 103
More migrants inbound. They don't seem to be bringing the caravan though. Curses. They appear to be a peasant, an engraver, a mason, and a ranger. Upon further questioning, they are two married couples. Welcome to Steelbeard, but you'll have to sleep in the dorms for the time being.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 12:12:21 am by aussieevil »
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

it appears that I have a fellow tradesman to compete or work with. I wonder how well we will hit it off  :-\ :o
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gonna continue tomorrow, but here's another map:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11282-steelbeard

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just read through 80 pages or so of the Headshoots succession game. Holistic Detective wins the title of HolisticDetective the Explorer, the twisted evil archenemy of Dora. Instead of a backpack of infinite items, she carries a backpack of infinite airtime, capable of launching goblin and dwarf alike leagues into the distance.I've officially been reading too late at night. I am finally calling it sleep time at 6 AM.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile

Do you realize that blocks are far more efficient than boulders? You get four blocks to a boulder, and blocks are lighter than boulders so the work is faster.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, hadn't thought about that.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 07:19:08 pm by aussieevil »

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

14th Timber, 103
Corai spots the incoming caravan approaching the ridge. Let's get our crap ready!

16th Timber, 103
Time to trade! The caravan has two wagons full of stuff. Time for Corai to shine. He starts out with some small trades - backpacks for figurines and that kind of stuff. He says the more good deals he makes, the more they'll let us buy with our rock crap.

18th Timber, 103
We sure are buying a lot of food...

20th Timber, 103
They didn't bring us any booze. The bastards. Lots of leather though -- that's something we could use in the future. Probably. I'm just the miner, I'm not supposed to understand what the traders do.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 07:45:19 pm by aussieevil »

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Finishing up on Sunday.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

28th Timber, 103
Corai moved to the food storage facility with the liaison following behind. I feel they may conduct an impromptu meeting. I overheard Corai stating that the fortress needs booze, charcoal, and crossbows. The liaison warned that the Guild of Merchants would raise their prices by about 60% for these items as a "convenience fee." What a load of horse crap!

2nd Moonstone, 103
The liaison dropped a piece of paper while heading back to the depot:

Well, looks like crowns, headwear, and goblets will fetch almost double in trading. I wonder if King As is planning another of his fancy-hat dances at the Mountainhome. Those were fun to watch.

14th Moonstone, 103
Corai does some last-minute trading for wood and rope as the merchants pack up.

21st Moonstone, 103
Installed a new labor manager in preparation of my handover to the next overseer.

5th Opal, 103

I don't know what to say.

11th Opal, 103
As I looked out of the entrance, I saw snow for the first time. It's so... white.

13th Opal, 103
Looks like there are grasshopper men on the frozen river.

19th Obsidian, 103
After a winter in which nothing much happened, I received notice of several kobold thieves at the entrance. Splint has been dispatched to "persuade them to leave".

22nd Obsidian, 103
Splint has killed one and the other two fled without stealing anything. I declare Steelbeard's first military operation to be a success.

1st Granite, 104
My year is done. I decide to pass on control of Steelbeard to CrazyCow. May he continue to guide us to prosperity.

Uploaded Save File
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:20:40 pm by aussieevil »

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: For Glory and Adamantine: Steelbeard II (34.11) Year 1 done!
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2012, 07:34:22 pm »

well one year in and it seems we are doing well. I wonder how the virst vile forces of fun will be.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2012, 07:49:22 pm »

Got the save; give me a bit to start playing.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2012, 08:24:14 pm »

First of Granite
104, Early Spring

Our glorious leader, aussieevil, has given control of Steelbeard to me, as per our ancestral traditions. I shall spend the first day sketching the layout for your benefit, as well as making notes of my plans and ideas to further our glory.
Here we have the entrance; I shall construct a bridge in front of it as soon as I finish dictating his letter.

The entrance, food stockpiles, and farms; that empty room will make a good barracks.

The dining room. I do not think I will continue the engraving efforts; there is much to do, and few hands to do it.

The workshops and stockpiles.

And the bedrooms. My predecessor was kind enough to plan a large number of bedrooms; once these fill up I shall have the miners excavate them.

My hope is that this letter reaches you in good health, and that your beard may grow long. Your faithful servant and overseer of Steelbeard,
Debesh Unnos Limaroddom

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2012, 09:42:25 pm »

First of Hematite
104, Early Summer
I have been asked by Bookkeeper Corai to dictate the meeting between the elven traders and our esteemed leader, Debesh Unnos. It seems we have a few minutes as the traders set up, though, so I think I'll take the time to say a few words about the overseer.
Ever since he was appointed overseer, Debesh Unnos has been throwing himself into the job with the most enthusiasm I have ever seen. Optimistic and driven - if not a bit rough and, at some times, scary - I cannot say how much I appreciate his leadership. His devotion even makes him seem larger; he seems to loom over everyone around him, as if looking down on them from the position of authority. He isn't afraid to use his size for intimidation, at least.
One of the first things he did was wander around the fortress, examining everything. He finally stopped and demanded to see our weapons stockpile (although he referred to 'beatas' and 'choppas' in particular; a blacksmithing term, I'm sure). We told him we had no weapons; he immediately boxed poor Alath over the ears and asked him why. We don't have any weapons-grade metals, of course, and Alath told him; Debesh Unnos just told him to 'toss sum metul bitz togeda; it ain't dat 'ard.' The miners are digging deeper in the hopes of finding some metal veins capable of supporting his request.
The expected influx of migrants arrived later on; Debesh Unnos was out there to greet them. Many of them were actually intimidated enough by his presence that they refused to approach the fortress until I arrived to do a headcount, standing by his side and proving he wasn't about to throttle them all. He pulled several aside and told them to meet Splint for training; they went without a word, and the overseer muttered that 'dere betta be sum choppas and metul bitz for da boyz soon.'
The only other event I can think of at the moment was when Vabok was struck by inspiration the other week. He grabbed a few items and started sketching pictures while muttering under his breath; a usual sight, of course. Debesh Ullos walked in and asked what he was doing; Vabok simply asked for cut gems (by shoving pictures of them in the overseer's hands, as is natural). The overseer simply laughed in his face and walked away; I asked Splint to keep an eye on him in case he cracks violently when he can't finish his project. A sad thing, but I am hardly one to question the Overseer on such matters.
Ah, the elves are ready. I shall prepare another parchment and include the details of the interaction in my next report.
Your loyal subject and mechanic of Steelbeard,
Kogan Kilrudrober

NOTE:
No elven merchants actually came. Just wanted an excuse to write from a viewpoint other than mine q;
Metals on the embark are Native Silver, Native Gold, Sphalerite, and Galena. No armor-worthy metals as of yet; might resort to adamantine if I can't dig anything else up.

DrunkenCaveOgre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2012, 12:01:12 am »

Native gold and silver? Sweet, we should pump out some gold statues

Also, aint' nothing wrong with resorting to adamantine

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2012, 08:37:27 pm »

I put in trade requests for steel as well.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11