Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mining into Lava Vein safely: Not quite getting it...  (Read 9906 times)

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mining into Lava Vein safely: Not quite getting it...
« on: June 20, 2012, 08:22:50 pm »

I read the wiki and it said something about, when mining into a lava vein, channel around where the opening will be and create a lava safe floor which, presumably, your miner will stand upon. Well, every variation of this I have tried has resulted in an awesome dwarf death-- although I've lost a legendary miner because of it. So I'm doing it wrong.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mining into Lava Vein safely: Not quite getting it...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 08:28:00 pm »

The rush of gasses is the hard part to avoid, at least that's what used to kill my miners when I'd get that far ;)

If you carve a channel that will meet with the upper edge you can extend the flow rather easily.  If you want to tap into it someplace lower...  good luck.  Never had much luck with that myself.
Demon of Darkness

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 08:30:48 pm »

Ah so I'm supposed to do it at the lip of the volcano. Ah.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:32:08 pm »

Have you looked at this?  Took me a while to wrap my head around the dwarf standing on the lower level while digging on the upper level (and one tile over to the side), but it works with no mess and no death.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 08:32:52 pm »

I find it's pretty simple to do (though I haven't tried this yet in the latest version or two) if you know what you are doing. Simply mine up to the corner of a lava tube and then smooth the last tile. Dig a staircase within a few tiles of the place where you will be breaching that leads up and back into your fortress, this will allow your dwarf to get out before the magma gets him. Now designate the smoothed corner to be carved into a fortification. Now immediately when the dwarf begins to carve the fortification, (and this is the most important part!), designate a bunch of other tiles to be smoothed/carved. It's not important that your dwarves actually smooth, carve, or engrave those tiles, what is important is that your dwarf immediately takes another smooth/carve/engrave task elsewhere in the fortress when they finish the current one. If they do not then they will pause for the briefest of instants as they pick a new task, resulting in their death. If they have the job though, they will instantly turn and head up the staircase, stopping the magma from catching and killing them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 08:43:01 pm »

So instead of mining out the last piece of dirt, the dwarves try to carve it into a fortification which will breach into the lava flow?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 08:46:56 pm »

So instead of mining out the last piece of dirt, the dwarves try to carve it into a fortification which will breach into the lava flow?
Correct. Mining may also work as well, though it is a little more dangerous. As I mentioned the most important thing is that the dwarf immediately takes another of the same task, whether that is mining or smoothing, to help them get out immediately. I just have never lost an engraver doing this before so I tend to stick to engraving and then carving a fortification, which has the side effect of helping to stop magma creatures from pathing through while you are still filling up whatever you want with the magma. (Of course once it reaches 7/7 they can go right through it, but it helps a little at least).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 09:15:30 pm »

Brilliant! I tried it, didn't have to do anything special, no extra staircases or worrying about Z-levels. Just carve fortification and then zip away to the next stone. Nobody died. Nobody maimed. Bueno!

EDIT: You know forget it. Just lost a guy.
>_>
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:27:48 pm by agvkrioni »

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 10:29:41 pm »

Good! I'll add it into the wiki! :D

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:41:44 pm »

I generally do something like this:

~~~#########
~~~#_____^.#
~~~#_____^.#
~~~#++++++<#
~~~#_____^.#
~~~#_____^.#
~~~#########

~ - Magma
# - Wall to be dug/engraved/channeled
# - Walls
_ - Channels
+ - Constructed floors
^ - Ramps
. - Floors
< - Upward stair

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 10:48:32 pm »

I've taken to just making a metal screwpump (it doesn't have to be magma safe) and pumping the magma into the magma plumbing. For 4 metal bars and 1 stone block, it's a good deal. Another nice thing about a screw pump is it very quickly fills up the magma plumbing to 7/7 even if it's extensive.

For those who haven't tried pumping magma - it's safer and easier than it sounds. It's very safe if you don't pump into lower z-levels, or if you DO pump magma to lower z-levels, make sure the magma plumbing is 100% sealed and only open it up (to build forges etc) once it's full and the pump has been turned off.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 10:51:17 pm »

I've taken to just making a metal screwpump (it doesn't have to be magma safe) and pumping the magma into the magma plumbing. For 4 metal bars and 1 stone block, it's a good deal. Another nice thing about a screw pump is it very quickly fills up the magma plumbing to 7/7 even if it's extensive.

For those who haven't tried pumping magma - it's safer and easier than it sounds. It's very safe if you don't pump into lower z-levels, or if you DO pump magma to lower z-levels, make sure the magma plumbing is 100% sealed and only open it up (to build forges etc) once it's full and the pump has been turned off.

Seconded. Pumps are the only fool-proof way of zeroing DF's weird pressure system. Personally, I just carve a large tunnel for the magma with a single automatic pump plugging the end.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 05:42:39 am »

I don‘t know why you need a pump. In every situation you can build a pump, you can simply dig the channel from above.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 11:57:09 am »

Fortifications now cause magma mist, so the carving a fortification is still potentially dangerous.  I'm a convert to the dig out the wall from beneath a bridge method until that gets fixed.

Edit: I was wrong on the magma mist.  I can't reproduce.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:35:25 pm by ZeroSumHappiness »

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 12:12:00 pm »

I don‘t know why you need a pump.

He gave you three reasons. Safe, easy, fast.
Pages: [1] 2