Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: What would be the worst drug to play Dwarf Fortress on?  (Read 17054 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: What would be the worst drug to play Dwarf Fortress on?
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2012, 05:43:50 pm »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:32:44 pm by penguinofhonor »

KoboldWarmonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2012, 06:49:57 pm »

Everybody who doesn't do drugs needs to get out of this thread. I regularly see a psychiatrist, who I basically view as a drug dealer who pays taxes. He gives me amphetamines so I become a person my school is more interested in. (Also so I can drive around without worrying about being like hey a bird! or I love this song! and running into a ditch)

Ya'll can preach about how we're shortening our lives or whatever (I hope I don't damage my CNS in the long term, knock on wood) but as a person instructed by society to regularly take drugs which have such a dramatic affect on who I am and what I do, I have two cents to share here. Firstly, the difference between what we call a "drug" and what we call "medicine" is a political one. If a kid around here were to take some MDMA and die it would be all over the news. If he were to take a few too many paracetamol and die, nope, just a statistic, nobody wants to hear about it. It's all fear and ignorance.

If you "don't do drugs", and feel the need to tell people who do not to, you're full of shit, and need to stop and think. I would argue that drugs are a fundamental part of what it is to be human, and if I still had my faith I'd say its your God-given right to get high and love it.

I'm going to answer the opposite question (BEST DRUGS!) and say that my forts run smoother when I'm on adderall (amphetamine- helped the nazis conquer europe so fast, keeps flight crews awake right now above the middle east..) , which is more or less every time I play. I'm more inclined to do things like reorganize all my 200 dwarves so as to be more efficient.

A close second is being stoned, pretty obviously. Video games and ganja go together like PB&J, and dwarf fortress has the benefit of not requiring accurate depth perception or fast reflexes. Your fort mode enjoyment is directly proportional to how much crazy shit you come up with, and when you're baked someone I know told me you'll be more inclined to do stuff like create a giant magmafall just for the hell of it. Furthermore, you'll see the whole thing in your head and will enjoy every minute of it.

EDIT: If you're an impressionable teenager reading this, I would like to emphasize that breaking the law is still a really bad idea (you really can't fight the state), and that you have your whole future ahead of you, don't be fucking around. That is all.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:53:00 pm by KoboldWarmonger »

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2012, 07:51:01 pm »

Everybody who doesn't do drugs needs to get out of this thread. I regularly see a psychiatrist, who I basically view as a drug dealer who pays taxes. He gives me amphetamines so I become a person my school is more interested in. (Also so I can drive around without worrying about being like hey a bird! or I love this song! and running into a ditch)

Ya'll can preach about how we're shortening our lives or whatever (I hope I don't damage my CNS in the long term, knock on wood) but as a person instructed by society to regularly take drugs which have such a dramatic affect on who I am and what I do, I have two cents to share here. Firstly, the difference between what we call a "drug" and what we call "medicine" is a political one. If a kid around here were to take some MDMA and die it would be all over the news. If he were to take a few too many paracetamol and die, nope, just a statistic, nobody wants to hear about it. It's all fear and ignorance.

If you "don't do drugs", and feel the need to tell people who do not to, you're full of shit, and need to stop and think. I would argue that drugs are a fundamental part of what it is to be human, and if I still had my faith I'd say its your God-given right to get high and love it.

I'm going to answer the opposite question (BEST DRUGS!) and say that my forts run smoother when I'm on adderall (amphetamine- helped the nazis conquer europe so fast, keeps flight crews awake right now above the middle east..) , which is more or less every time I play. I'm more inclined to do things like reorganize all my 200 dwarves so as to be more efficient.

A close second is being stoned, pretty obviously. Video games and ganja go together like PB&J, and dwarf fortress has the benefit of not requiring accurate depth perception or fast reflexes. Your fort mode enjoyment is directly proportional to how much crazy shit you come up with, and when you're baked someone I know told me you'll be more inclined to do stuff like create a giant magmafall just for the hell of it. Furthermore, you'll see the whole thing in your head and will enjoy every minute of it.

EDIT: If you're an impressionable teenager reading this, I would like to emphasize that breaking the law is still a really bad idea (you really can't fight the state), and that you have your whole future ahead of you, don't be fucking around. That is all.

That post sounded like you were on drugs when you put it up.

I'd go with any drug that makes you tired. It's hard to fend off those goblins when you're sleeping.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2012, 11:13:31 pm »

Ah, that's medicine. Anything taken under a doctor's supervision is most likely to help rather than harm you. I know about adderall. It helped me with some large projects that would be impossible otherwise. I should say though that Vyvanse is waaay smoother. It's pricey though unless your insurance covers it.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2012, 11:15:32 pm »

Fuck adderall. That shit nearly ruined my childhood when I was on it. I had to tell my mom to take me off of it.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2012, 11:30:31 pm »

Fuck adderall. That shit nearly ruined my childhood when I was on it. I had to tell my mom to take me off of it.

Definately not for kids in my opinion. It's useful though for an adult who needs to concentrate for some really important task. Unfortunately, some psychs used to think that you need to be on it all the time, which is not true and potentially damaging. I would never sleep if I did that.

I remember that my cousin was forced to take it as a kid, and they started him on twice my adult dose! My Aunt called me and said that he was hiding his meds instead of taking them, and that I should talk to him. I told my aunt I would die if I had to take that much every day!

I think I just invalidated what I said about doctor supervision...
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2012, 02:14:08 pm »

Acid because I don't want to trip ASCII.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2012, 05:49:30 pm »

I am HIGH ON LIFE, thank you very much.

But seriously, I can't imagine ANY drug increasing your enjoyment of DF in a meaningful way. It's a cerebral game, and you have to appreciate what's going on in it to enjoy it fully. Just about any mind-altering substance would distract from or dampen that. You might be able to look at the screen and be amused by the pretty colors, but you might as well be watching your lava lamp at that point.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2012, 05:54:07 pm »

But building a clear glass magma lamp is so much more fun.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

sumofallwars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2012, 08:52:28 pm »

Sumofallwars has been possessed!

Sumofallwars mutters "lavallamp"  needs
raw... clear,bars... metal,blocks... bricks,gems... shining,Magma!

Sumofallwars  keeps muttering "lavallamp"...

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2012, 08:56:20 pm »

The worst drug would probably be a skeleton
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

noobnubcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Clumsy Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2012, 07:14:42 pm »

Everybody who doesn't do drugs needs to get out of this thread.

Too bad.
To this day the elven warrior castes hunt the enemies of nature for the purpouse of bringing back slain intelligent beings for consumption by their leaders and generals, for the good of nature and the survival of elvenkind.

And that is the story of how napalm was invented.

snoop

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2012, 08:02:23 pm »

Alcohol: Horribly mismanaged fortress, small details get thrown to the wayside as the fort aggressively expands until it collapses on itself from either some flaw in its defenses or because you forgot to make farms.

Marijuana: Your fortress attempts to become the most peaceful fortress in the world, and every dwarf's nickname is a stupid joke. You occasionally make dumb mistakes due to just forgetting something, and you're eventually either overcome by goblins or become an isolated self-sustaining commune.

LSD: You know those ridiculously detailed and well-planned fortress designs? Yours is the opposite. Half-completed designs branch haphazardly across each other and your dwarves are quite unproductive because of the ridiculous amount of twists and turns your fortress takes. There's a lot of redundancy as you have difficulty distinguishing your completed designs from potential ones. Your fortress will end to inefficiencies, but you'll learn something profound that will improve all your future fortresses.

Cocaine: Your fortress needs to get done. Now. Come on, get the military up and running. Get the forges made! Yeah, the dwarves can sleep in an unengraved dormitory. Wooden weapons are better than no weapons! Your fortress takes down the first couple goblin ambushes with ease and then dies in a horrible tantrum spiral.

Ecstasy: All of your dwarves are amazing. All of them are beautiful. You begin to tailor every dwarf's jobs to their personality and interests, then get distracted. Your fortress either ends to inefficiencies due to the haphazard job assignment, or due to neglect because you realized that rapidly scrolling around the screen overloads your vision which feels awesome.

Molly: Why are you playing a video game when you could be dancing?

There were a couple others, but this reply in particular stands out by demonstrating some actual familiarity with altered states.  Nice work.  Some of the others... and here I thought DF players would be willing to at least try getting their minds warped for a while! Not trying to encourage anyone, mind you, please don't go off looking for some smack right this minute... :o

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2012, 08:40:17 pm »

It might be interesting to ask an experienced player to take various drugs and start a fort on the same map under influence, to compare the effect of drugs on the mind of the average DF player.

This would be interesting, or a succession for where each overseer was under the influence of different substances.
Actually there was a DF thread on 420chan recently so an experiment like that might not be too hard to arrange.....

As for the nutmeg comments... Ive done a lot of things in my life, but Ill never do that again.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]