Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Games with "Coin"?  (Read 11671 times)

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games with "Coin"?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 06:53:41 pm »

In ADOM you can get tons of gold.  Useful for sacrificing to your deity for piety or buying stuff in the shops.  The Merchant class can throw them for pretty decent damage and is the only missile attack that can hurt doppelgangers.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 08:25:49 pm »

I have a boardgame called Princes of Florence in which you use coins as currency rather than the standard Monopoly money and it actually makes the game far more enjoyable!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 08:36:35 pm »

La Cita also used coins IIRC, though the game was more about hoarding citizens than about hoarding cash.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 08:46:24 pm »

I always found it strangely satisfying to fill my vault full of gold bars in Evil Genius...
Oh man, I loved to makemy evil genius have his own personal gold vault in his inner sanctum. To let the minions get access to easy briefcases filled with cash I had 2x1 strongrooms at corridors, but the big vault in the heart of my base was always full of gold. And the Evil Genius engine also made it look so good.

Also, although Path of Exile doesn't use gold, the currency items in it are gems and orbs. Orbs let you upgrade items and so on, skillgems allow you to use skills. Much more satisfying to open the stash and see dozens of stacks of different types of orbs, rather than just some random number of gold.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 09:06:27 pm »

I enjoy it more when gold is an item, and held in inventory, instead of just a number attached to your merchant screen.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 09:54:27 pm »

Fable 3's snowballiness of renting out places is hilarious.

Once you buy enough property you start earning tens of thousands of gold every five minutes which you can then use to buy more property to earn more gold to buy more property and so on.

I currently own about 75% of the game's only city. I'd say if you own every single building in the game with rent or prices maxed, you'd probably earn one or two hundred thousand every tick of rent, which is five minutes. The 360's clock keeps the gold going, so you can log in one day to find an entirely full personal vault, give it all to the kingdom's treasury, log off and come back the next day to find your personal vault entirely full again.

Yes, this is totally ridiculous. I own (as far as I can tell) every single piece of property in the game, and am making just under 50000 from shops + 45000 from rent. (This is with everything still at the default pricing.) Repairing is a chore, but you could easily ignore it and just rely on shops, which never need maintenance.

Yet quests still hand out ~500 gold as a reward. "Hey, thanks! That's... two whole seconds of rent money!"  :P

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2012, 12:26:28 am »

I always found it strangely satisfying to fill my vault full of gold bars in Evil Genius...
Of course then I had the 'other' vault with the world treasures... -twitch- okay I have to play this game again over the weekend.
The world treasures went into different rooms frequented by the minions inside the Inner Base. 1,000,000 dollar bill? Into the control room. The Eiffel Tower? Same. The invaluable persian rug? Into the middle of a high-traffic corridor.

Still, I'd spend my time watching those piles of gold bars grow, minute by minute. With an income of $24,000 per minute, I'd watch one pile for about 17 minutes, when it would stop growing. I'd be sad. Then I'd notice that they've started making another pile. I'd be happy, as I'd watch it grow again. [rinse & repeat]

Überloot? Pfft, boring to watch.

Girlinhat, you got kleptomania or something?

You say that as if it were a bad thing.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2012, 03:28:41 am »

If it's not nailed down they probably didn't need it.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2012, 05:10:52 am »

If it's nailed down, you get free nails as well.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2012, 07:05:57 am »

Sigged :D

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2012, 07:28:11 am »

Besides, I am sure you need them for something... Like those Brooms in Skyrim...

Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2012, 09:33:36 am »

In most games I just burn through money like crazy, and then go brutally murder some more 'bad guys' to take theirs...
But one game that sticks in my memory for this would be Fable. Yes, the first one. Yes, it was a terribly disappointing game, but I have fond recollections of leading hordes of bandits into a town, letting them slaughter the citizens and then buying as many of the newly-vacated houses as possible. My goal was to own the ENTIRE TOWN.
I don't think I got very far, sadly. :-/
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 2 [3]